DSG Gearbox

Hi Folks

Just had some work done on my Fabia Estate 1.2 TSI DSG (2013) and the dealers have done a software update on the gearbox. It is titled - 34h5 gearbox control unit software update, Criterion 01. Anyone out there no what this changes/adjusts etc. Thankyou.

• Like 1

This is not Service Campaign,  '34F7' which SKODA UK started in May 2014.

this is a new Service Campaign / Recall action,  so not the Synthetic Oil changed to mineral & a Software Update.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

This appears to come after that and recently started, so best ask Skoda UK and the Dealership to print an explanation of what and why.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/422718-rapid-recall-dsg 

So '34H5'  'They should be putting a sticker in the boot, and maybe 'Making it more widely knowns' 

Not yet another 'Skoda Secret Service Campaign' that you might never know about unless on forums or you get Main Dealer Servicing.

Edited by Awayoffski

I had my vRS 4 year service done a couple of weeks ago. 50000kms on it. The plugs were definitely needing replacement by this stage. I also told them that the DSG didn't feel right, with shuddering on take off, clunking and banging into gear at times.  Well I don't know if the spark plugs not firing properly at take off speed or if they did a reset or a software update...but I drove the car away from the dealers thinking that I had a new one. Massive difference. I looked in the boot...no sticker.

Mine was in in January and had the gearbox update. No oil was changed and they said it was to keep the software up to date. It will not be done on cars that do not go to Skoda for their services unless you go in, owners will not be told about the update until they go in for their service.
Cost: Free if you have your car serviced with Skoda or £37 if you was to go in for it to be done. 

Edited by Polluxtroy69
  • Like 1

Really £37 to have a service campaign done on a DSG if the car is not in for a service or other paid work.  Which dealership was this that says there is a charge?

Edited by Awayoffski

Ps,  cost free to owners,  Skoda have to pay the cost of service campaign where they are preventative measures,  so best check with Skoda UK before paying and dealership for recall actions or service campaigns

. . 

'Ignore the charge on the sheet as it is included with the service' - Simpsons Skoda, Colne. Jan 2017

That is what Skoda said to me! Other MK2 VRS owners have said that they have not been contacted by Skoda for the update on their DSG & have said that their is a charge. This is where I have got my information from. 
No letters, no emails and not phone calls have been made to any of us about this update. All records have been correct (from what others have said). 

My car was done by them in January 2016, with not DSG update. It also was done again in January 2017 with the update, cost covered by the service. So between January 2016 and 2017 there has been a DSG update released.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Ps,  cost free to owners,  Skoda have to pay the cost of service campaign where they are preventative measures,  so best check with Skoda UK before paying and dealership for recall actions or service campaigns

. . 

The update isnt a recall otherwise Skoda would of had to of contacted owners? Surely? As I have said above no contact with anyone from what I know of. Well not with the Fabia 2 VRS owners anyway..

No the Update is not a RECALL,  the 34F7 Service Campaign was not a Recall either as the DVSA / DfT allowed Skoda / VW Group the contact numbers / addresses of the REgistered Keepers, and there was a Service Campaign.

Not safety critical, and no charge, and still can be outstanding if you have a vehicle that meets the criteria to have '34H7' carried our

but was not done.  ie Still has Synthetic Oil and no DSG Software update done since May 2014

http://gov.uk/check-if-a-vehicle-has-been-recalled 

(As you will see no Recall on the DQ200 DSG's but VW negotiated a voluntary recall action in 2013/14 & were required to contact Registered keepers, yet did not make sure all owners or keepers were contacted, and even Skoda Approved Used cars or Cars in Trade Slipped the net.)

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vw-uk-why-we-dont-need-dsg-recall 

So is 34H5 only for DQ200 DSG that had 347F carried out or not?

Edited by Awayoffski

I am only saying saying what I know and what I have talked about with other MK 2 VRS owners away from briskoda. Picture shows a description of goods and services 

As for cost - my mistake it was £32 On the invoice. 

None of those that I have spoken to have been contacted by Skoda. Some that have contacted did mention a charge. 

Skoda said to me not to worry about the cost as it was covered in the service. 

20170303_135132.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Polluxtroy69 said:

'Ignore the charge on the sheet as it is included with the service' - Simpsons Skoda, Colne. Jan 2017

That is what Skoda said to me! Other MK2 VRS owners have said that they have not been contacted by Skoda for the update on their DSG & have said that their is a charge. This is where I have got my information from. 
No letters, no emails and not phone calls have been made to any of us about this update. All records have been correct (from what others have said). 

My car was done by them in January 2016, with not DSG update. It also was done again in January 2017 with the update, cost covered by the service. So between January 2016 and 2017 there has been a DSG update released.

Does it matter if your car has been mapped to Stage 1 for this DSG latest update, What exactly does it do?

I could never be sure at Simpsons Colne if any  relevant software updates got done Nov 2016 as 'ECU style updates' should have been done when i had the oil fixes, it never appeared on any paperwork  - hence why i custom mapped it in the end, the DSG is standard tho with the update recall from a few years ago only (sticker in boot)

The tasty blondey on reception also handed me back the 4 x DENSO's i asked to be put in, which obviously wasnt on the paperwork but  sat in her desk the entire time, then reliably informed me at least the car had been washed....

• Like 1

Pollyuxtroy69,  Did Skoda UK Customer services staff say that or an Employee at a Skoda Main Dealership? 

anyone that needs the Service Campaign or wants it should ignore the charge as Skoda VW are paying it.

A Service campaign is called as a preventative measure to prevent something that has been shown to be  a possible issue, 

Corporate Responsibility is with the Manufacturer & Importer. 

So if there is some over heating possibility, Skoda / VW need to explain is this in DSG with Synthetic oil still or ones that a previous service campaign / World Wide Recall identified issues and Mineral Oil was used and a Software Update done.

There are DSG that were in Euro 5 Emission vehicles from being manufactured from 2009-2015

Kobayashi, 

ECU Engine Software is a different thing from the DSG Software Updates.

Edited by Awayoffski

1 minute ago, Kobayashi said:

Does it matter if your car has been mapped to Stage 1 for this DSG latest update, What exactly does it do?

I could never be sure at Simpsons Colne if any  relevant software updates got done Nov 2016 as 'ECU style updates' should have been done when i had the oil fixes, it never appeared on any paperwork  - hence why i custom mapped it in the end, the DSG is standard tho with the update recall from a few years ago only (sticker in boot)

The tasty blondey on reception also handed me back the 4 x DENSO's i asked to be put in, which obviously wasnt on the paperwork but  sat in her desk the entire time, then reliably informed me at least the car had been washed....

I have no idea on the map but its on the DSG not the engine so I doubt it will affect that but ask. I havent had any other updates on my car - according to its paper work and it has only been stamped from Colne (apart from its delivery in Kent). I will be honest, I have has lots of communication issues with Colne, and I am currently waiting for parts to get back to me, its been over an hour now. 
Ahh the tasty blonde, cant remember her name but I remember her calling me last year to ask me if I could give the go-ahead for skoda to empty my oil because there were too much in the car (I know a world first 1.4 TSI engine to add oil) but all at a cost. Haha!! Idiot.

When / if they call me back I will ask them all about the update :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Pollyuxtroy69,  Did Skoda UK Customer services staff say that or an Employee at a Skoda Main Dealership? 

The Service employee at the Simpsons Skoda dealership, Colne said it was covered  with the service cost. 

• Like 1

Yes it was covered by the service cost,

and it would be without a Service being done if there is a VW Group Service Campaign.  

SIMPSONS Skoda would be wrong to charge anyone other than SKODA UK for Service Campaigns / Recall Actions.

• Like 1

Reference my enquiry about DSG gearbox update. Booked car in today for m.o.t etc and asked the service manager about the update. His reply was that they have no information on it's content, the car is plugged in and hey presto. I was asked if I wanted it doing and there was no charge. The update was recorded in the service handbook under "Workshop Entries". Thanks chaps.

• Like 1

Due to an issue in the DSG-7-Speed software, abnormal overpressure could cause losing liquids (not sure which liquid is to be meant) and a faulty or non-working DSG gearbox. This update is going to reduce the overall systempressure.

All costs should be covered by Skoda.

Cheers

Edited by ElectricalVRS

^^^ 

?

Where have you got that information from, an Official VW Group TPI or some other source?

Losing Fluids would be a Safety Critical matter, not just a losing Drive and being able to roll to a place of safety as 

VW said with the original World Wide Recall on the DQ200's, 

but Fluid could then cause other road users 'DEATH or Life changing injuries'.  

Really, i am being serious there, so Where does the 'LOSING LIQUIDS' bit come from?

Because in the UK if that was the case the DVSA / Dft would need VW to do a 'Recall'

Edited by Awayoffski

Source is the german skodacommunity, where people went to the skoda dealer and asked for what the DSG update actually does. There are numerous threads.

https://www.skodacommunity.de/threads/softwareupdate-fuer-dsg.112672/

https://www.skodacommunity.de/threads/rueckrufaktion-fuer-octavia-3-7-gang-dsg-aktion-34h5.112329/

Here's a russian site which explains the issue a little bit better (translator needed if you don't know russian) -> https://www.drive2.ru/l/464525796745150999/

Even I got informed yesterday by a Skoda technician that the update's for lowering the system pressure in the DSG gearbox. 

So thats enough information for me to believe that this update is solving a DSG issue (which I clearly didn't had in any way).

Cheers

?

So is it Overheating and loss of Pressure, not 'Loss of Fluid' LIQUIDS, ie Oil?

MINERAL Oil as Filled at the Factory or was put in by Dealership Technicians under a World Wide Recall & European Service Campaigns.

Extended Warranties given with a World Wide Recall, not in Europe though!!

ie,

Is this related to the DSG that had Mineral Oil put in at the Campaign 34F7 and had a software update needing updated again.

Or does Campaign 34H5 not get done if 34F7 has not been carried out?

Edited by Awayoffski

Well actually it's not overheating as you may see in the russian website which explains the issue very well. It's just the pressure getting to high.

And no, as far as I know it's not related to the Mineral Oil campaign but since every 7-Speed dq 200 DSG should have the campaign "34F7" done, I clearly don't get your point here :-).

Edit: Ah, I see. Well, I was not affected by the Mineral Oil campaign, since my VRS is made in August 2014. But not sure if you NEED to have the 34F7 done first and then they update your DSG gearbox again with the 34H5 campaign.

Edit 2: """Maybe just my imagination, but heard from people when wanting to pull away from junctions, the DSG 7-speed sometimes didn't engaged. That could be related to the issue"""

Here's the translation of the russian site:

Quote:

Technical rationale:

On cars with a 7-speed DSG gearbox may be that because of the high pressure in the hydraulic pressure can cause damage to the battery. This leads to leaks in the system and integrating the signal lamp.

• What the fault / damage have cars, which are covered by service activities? 
It may be leaking pressure accumulator 7-speed DSG gearbox.

• What is the cause of the fault? 
In operation the high pressure in the hydraulic system can cause high stress and thus fatigue damage to the pressure accumulator.

• What are the manifestations and consequences of failure? 
Damage first appears as hairline cracks and lead to leaks. This does not affect the possibility of movement, but the warning light illuminates in the instrument cluster.

• What kind of car concerns the fault / damage? 
Vehicles with 7-speed DSG gearbox.

• The occurrence of the fault is possible on any car? 
No, it affected only one gearbox manufacturer. Cars with a 7-speed DSG gearbox covered by this measure are made from January 2013 to August 2015.

• Is it possible to continue to operate the vehicle before the repair work? 
Yes, the car can be used prior to the inspection / repair.

• Is there a risk to the vehicle users? 
No, but this refusal leads to customer complaints.

• Have been customer complaints about this error? 
Yes already known several such cases.

• What specifically will be repaired in the car? 
Cars will receive updated software gearbox, which reduces the maximum pressure in the hydraulic system.

• Can the driver to recognize the malfunction? 
Yes, the warning lamp lights up when this fault.

• How long does it take inspection and repairs? 
Repairing a car lasts about 45 minutes.

• Do mobility warranty applies? 
No, in this case, the mobility guarantee is not applicable.

• Do check / repair is carried out on the entire territory of Russia, as well as in other European countries? 
Yes, all the Škoda dealers in Russia and in Europe informed

If you are the owner of this transmission, please contact ML in your city and ask for and check your vehicle to a service share.

I can say that my car was hit by this action and the successful firmware update has been completed. I can say that the work of the PPC has become very pleasant, words can not describe, you need to go, to feel.

All peace and good!

----

Cheers

Edited by ElectricalVRS
  • Like 1

EVERY DQ200 DSG should not have 34F7 done.

Those with Synthetic oil from the factory are the ones that SKODA, VW, SEAT & AUDI UK do.

They tell people that theirs do not need done if they do not show as having Synthetic Oil.

Then there was no 'RECALL' with all Registered keepers informed, so the DVSA gave Keepers Details to the VW Group, 

every owner was not informed, all cars have not had this done.

SO MAYBE VW GROUP UK WILL NEED TO TELL REGISTERED KEEPERS IN THE UK ABOUT THE LATEST SERVICE CAMPAIGN ACTIONS.

Maybe an announcement and not just people at main dealers finding out, or people on forums.

I see, but aren't those "non life threatening" issues done silently when you bring your car for servicing?

However, I didn't got informed officially, it was done silently aswell. Had to asked the technician itself, otherwise he hadn't said anything about this issue to me - lol.

• Like 1