Which engine?

Hi!

Just joined. Usually would read the announcements etc but for once don't have the time as girlfriend has terminal cancer with months to live and I need the info soon if you could kindly help. 

I travel 50 miles a day to and from work along motorway & bypass. Due to diesel horror stories, the only diesel I would consider is the Civic 1.6 iDTEC which gets 66+mpg and I see zero problems online regarding this. I find the seating a bit high up in the car, though. Also I prefer the Sport which is £13k+.

I run cars for about 7-8 years at a time. Focus was my last, 37 mpg (not enough) but super cheap to fix - not that it needed to be fixed. I wouldn't mind another but the mpg seems to have stayed still for Focus and I want improved mpg. 

I'm looking at two Skoda petrols. 

1.2 TSi Octavia (2014). Road tax £30 a year.

1.4 TSi Octavia (2014 - Elegance model, 140PS). Bummer about this is road tax is £110 a year.

I read that the 1.4 TSi engine, if the one with a chain as opposed to a belt, has serious issues. E.g. if not oiled properly the chain can snap etc, you have to pay for a new engine. Other than this (!!) the car was really amazing... and apparently I could get 45mpg out of it which is ok (anything less and I wouldn't go for it...). Any info regarding the 1.4 TSi engine? Is there any way to tell if this one has the chain? I mentioned to the sales guy and he said it did have the chain but I'd like to check. 

The 1.2 looked almost as good (and had 35k miles as opposed to 25k on the 1.4 TSi) and do I really need the Elegance trim and whatnot (I hear the satnav isn't great so I'm not bothered about that). This car is also cheaper by a few £k and apparently I'd get better mpg, though it might be a bit "gutless." Saying that, I will post numbers for each car I am looking at and it looks to have more b@lls than my Focus, so maybe it would be ok. Does the 1.2 TSi have the same concern regarding the chain...? How do I find this out? I also see the 1.2 engine is no longer on the website...?

Cost (and reliability) is a concern as I'm spending money on a wedding and house and holiday (to make her last days the best they can be) so while I'd love to blow a load of cash, I have to be careful. I'd love the 1.4 but I'm really worried about the engine. In fact, same for the 1.2 if there might be this potential "chain" issue. 

--> My dad has a Rapid and I just saw that model with 1.2 TSi is a couple grand cheaper still. I need to check that model out. And I also see there are 1.0l Octavias which get stunning mpg numbers.... in fact that seems to be the pick of the bunch but being brand new I'll have to check prices. 

Anyway, here is my little list.. I left the new Focus off the list as I'm so annoyed their mpg figures are so bad compared to the official figures.

Focus 1.4L. Current car!

124Nm, 79bhp.

0-60 in 14.1s

37mpg.

ROAD TAX £185.

----------

Honda 1.6 iDTEC.

300Nm, 118bhp.

0-60 in 10.5s.

66.3mpg.

ROAD TAX £0.

----------

Honda 1.4 iVTEC.

127Nm, 99bhp.

0-60 in 13.5s.

46.5mpg

ROAD TAX £110.

-------------

Octavia 1.0

200Nm, 113bhp.

0-60 in 9.6s.

63mpg!?!?

ROAD TAX £20.

------------

Octavia 1.2.

175Nm, 104bhp

0-60 in 9.9s.

47mpg?

ROAD TAX £30

--------------

Octavia 1.4.

250Nm, 138bhp

0-60 in 8.1s.

45mpg.

ROAD TAX £110

------------

Rapid 1.2.

Torque=?, 104bhp

0-60 in 10.4s

Mpg approx. same as Octavia. Better if Greenline.

Road Tax £30-110 depending on model.

Why penny pinch on getting what you want just because it might cost you £80 yr on tax. I'm sure you waste more than this on many other things :D

Test drive the cars and go for the one you want, but clearly on paper of your choices the Octy 1.4 is the strongest of all those cars to drive.

Whats £80 a year to get something you are happy with (or 20p a day). The vRS petrol is only £30 more a year though ;)

Those figures for the 1.0 are crazy though, on the balance of that who would consider the 1.2 ?? Is that for real ?

That is the next best option engine IMO if they are correct.

Don't get a diesel FFS :D

vRS? I'll check that out. 

You're right.. the road tax isn't a big issue, though if the 1.2 has much better mpg I'd be swung by that, plus it's £2k less. 

Yeah I need to check the 1.0 figure... it's too new so hard to tell. 

Diesel... exactly my thoughts (unless it's that Honda engine which appears to be amazing) - I can't risk the costs. 

I'm super, super keen to find out if the 1.2 or 1.4 TSi engine will be reliable or not. I just keep reading if it's got a timing chain instead of a belt and is the "twin-charged" one, things could get very expensive.... any help on this?

Nope its not twin charged thats the 1.4 twin charged on the polo and fabia vrs.

These 1.4s are lower state of tune so should be pretty reliable in the standard level of tune.

see

Sorry I didnt see about your partner, really thats the most important thing right now, but you may have the car for a while so may as well get it right.

Yes exactly - it's a rubbish situation but I need to choose a good car that wont cost me money. 

I will check that thread but from what you're saying (FYI I'm not a petrol-head.. I work in electronics) the 2014 TSi engines I mentioned should not have those "major" issues attached so I can rest easy. If so, thank you :)

• Like 1

Just had a glance. So just from the 1.4l 150bhp info the poster could tell this engine isn't the one that is going to "blow up in my face" (as I like to put it) - many thanks :)

--> Is there anything specific I should ask the dealer regarding the engines, to be sure/safe?

Out of interest... what trim level is usually recommended? :)

Edited by guitarman001

FYI:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/60916/is-the-skoda-tsi-engine-reliable-

Backs up that the 140PS (138bhp) is timing belt and not one of the problem engines. I must ask the sales guy this as he did say it was chain driven.

The 1.2 I'm looking at is 104bhp (105PS) which isn't in the Honest John list on the liink above but also isn't the 122PS veriosn with the problems.

Edited by guitarman001

The 1.0 certainly has been getting some good press and if you were taking the frugal viewpoint would probably make the most sense for mpg if that's an important driving factor ?

http://www.whatcar.com/news/2016-skoda-octavia-10-tsi-review/

The 1.4 ( or even better 2.0 tfsi vRS if you can afford it) if better performance and driving were your goals irrespective of cost.

I've enjoyed that kind of mpg of the 1.0 but with similar hp as the 1.4 and higher torque (310Nm) than the 1.4 from the Fabia vRS mk1 diesel - what a cracker that has been.

There is no real replacement for that, closest for me was the 2.0 tfsi on performance but at the cost of economy.

Its cleaner though and you don't have to worry about DPF's etc :)

Have you had to deal with diesel issues before? 

D'oh I believe I quoted the IDEAL mpg for the 1.0 in my list rather than the REAL mpg. 

Regardless of cost and performance, it's just good to know that these engines are ok - those horror stories got me worried! :)

I think it's down to 1.4 Elegance vs 1.2 SE for me. :)

Look at others viewpoints before you leap

One here, suggesting the 1.0 favoured over the 1.2.

Having just sold a 3 cylinder motorcycle ( no slouch at 149bhp and 3.1 to 60 quicker than any cars on here :D ) the 3 cylinder is not necessary a poor mans choice - obviously the specs speak for themselves on how handy it is against the 1.2 ?

I might only question that long term mileage/ durability in regard to engine wear has gotta be somewhat reduced over bigger capacity engines maybe over a longer term ?

Not that anyone knows thats an issue yet though, as they haven't been driven long enough really for this to factor in so I wouldn't necessary factor that heavily in. You get at least 60K warranteed anyway

Hi and welcome.

Yep the 1.2 and 1.4 are the later belt drive models of a newer design. The belt is long life doesn't need changing till 100k miles.

There are some chain drive 1.2 still in the Rapids, so be careful. They are ok as long as the have regular oil.changes.

The chain drive engines with the major problems were from 2008 to 2012 mostly in Golfs and Fabias.

Test drive them both. You should find.the Octavia more refined than the Rapid. The Rapid is a budget car and feels it, noisier, harder ride, kind of a car for Russian granddad's lol... Is good value though.

Try a 1.2 TSi 110 like mine and be surprised how good it is for a 1.2. I average 45mpg in.semi urban driving.

Thank you all for the detailed information. 

My dad has a Rapid so I will try that on Friday prior to the test drive. 

I'm steering toward the 1.4 Elegance but even if that sells, the 1.2 (with 35k on the clock) is no bad choice - it's still miles better than my 07 Focus!

The 1.0 looks way better on mpg but if you can get a cracking used price on a 1.2 /1.4 by sounds of it may overrule this.

Obviously with the biggest outlay being the car cost I guess that factors heavily in the equation too not always mpg etc.

However bear in mind over the longer term of 10 years ( if the 3 cylinder lasts that long), you could maybe save over £5K on fuel cost with the 1.0 versus bigger less efficient engines like the 1.2/1.4 so worth factoring that in ?

Surely its a no brainer if you plan to buy new - get the 1.0 over the 1.2, the downside however being having to buy new as I don't think its been about long enough (as newest engine technology) for there to be used purchases at good value ?

I think cheapest over £12k on skoda used though whilst there are far cheaper 1.2's etc out there.

My "full fat" mk3 vRS was about that so obviously have to pay a high price for a 1.0 right now though !

Sorry I missed the comment on 2014 models. Yeah unfortunately this rules out the 1.0 which must have come out 2016.

I'd get the 1.4 as on paper its far better driving engine than the 1.2 but without a heavy economy price if you only getting a few mpg better ? I'm surprised its that poor on claimed MPG.

Probably over 10 years might only save you up to a few K ( if that) whilst giving you less driving pleasure.....get the bigger engine I'd say ;)

Can I just comment your suggestion of up to 11K is high £££ for a 2014 car, even if its the 1.4

Bear in mind this is the 1.0

( better bhp than the 1.2, whilst slower is only 1.5s behind the 1.4 to 60 - and way better MPG than both 1.2 and 1.0 which is gonna save you £5k over 10 year !!!)

2016 car, almost no miles !! and balance of warranty for 3 years got to be worth spending an extra grand on  ???

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=606047390

Thats my immediately reaction anyway, seems high price for those older cars to me

Great links, thanks - food for thought, definitely. 

I guess to be accurate, the 1.4 is actually more like £10.5k with 25k miles (2014). Do you think that's ok? 

The ones you posted.. really brilliant, but as Scroogey as it may sounds, every £k is counting given my unfortunate circumstances. 

Could check somewhere like parkers or wisebuyers is free

http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/index.jsp?guide=prices&page=used_cars&no=3&make=Skoda&model=Octavia+(2013-)&vip=73634&yearplate=2015%2F15&mileage=25&x=0&y=0

They are saying for a 25K 2015 model: ( may a bit inaccurate as its not Glass but gives an idea)

£11,288

They also have 0% apr and contribution on new cars so I wouldn't rule that out, as it puts less financial pressure on you paying in one lump anyway if thats an issue

The 1.0 economy would start to pay the difference back anyway between that and what would be an older car anyway. 

or you have PCP deals etc, you don't necessarily have to throw about the big figures of money ( becoming less popular nowadays ).

I've got a 1.4tsi and I cannot really fault it for performance and economy, I enjoy the drive and have had no issues in near 3 years of ownership although my annual mileage is not high enough to indicate long term reliability but it is my intention is to keep for a few more years.

As it is a keeper I went fairly low spec for cheaper outlay and less to go wrong, but cruise control is a pretty useful on a longer trip.

Personally if I were buying now and had the option of the 1.0tsi then I would go for it. Reports from the two 1.0tsi owners on this forum suggest that the fuel returns are really exceptional and they are not disappointed with performance either.

I'd suggest the DSG gearbox needs to be tried first. There is no doubt that on the move it is one of the best around but in slow heavy traffic situations then opinions are more polarised. Most in this forum have no problems (including my own limited experience) but some others (from outside this forum) just hate it.

You probably would not go far wrong with a Rapid or a 1.2tsi Octavia either, especially if you can get them at a really good price.

Although I live in Australia it does seem that UK 2nd hand car prices are inflated especially in the light that many Octavia owners complain of heavy depreciation.

With regard to your GF's circumstances, well words are inadequate. I wish you both the very best that the difficult circumstances allow.

I have never, ever done a hashtag,  but "#respect" seems appropriate.

WiseBuyers - amazing - thanks for that! Seriously informative site. 

It says the 1.2 should cost under £8k (it's selling for £8.7k) and the 1.4 should be £9.2k (on sale for £10.5k). 

My thinking just now is that while the 1.4 would be lovely, the 1.2 is still much better than my old Ford and will be 4-5mpg better than the 1.4, but we'll see. Also I have to admit... the 60-75mpg Civic diesel is still a temptation!

Many thanks for the hashtag. It's a lot to take in..