Drivers (electric) seat question

When I unlock the car and get in the seat base raises up slightly.  I initially though it might just to make entry easier but the seat base never goes back down unless I use the control. Then when I do lower it and press memory button '1' (my setup) the chair will raise up again, despite me storing the position in the lower setting. 

FWIW I have the seat in the lowest position possible.   

Can anyone shed some light on this please?  Is there a way to reset the whole system? 

Same issue here but was told at the dealer that seat raises due to security reasons. Not possible to store lowest position.
They did try to reset system.

24 minutes ago, Mico01 said:

Same issue here but was told at the dealer that seat raises due to security reasons. Not possible to store lowest position.
They did try to reset system.

Did they elaborate on 'security reasons'?  

I've heard that airline seats won't stay in their lowest position in order to mitigate ISIS hijackings :D

10 minutes ago, RickTT said:

Thats an odd one, sounds like the seat is not been stored to the key.. (does it even do that? )

It should do.

When I open the car and get in the seat will be in the last used position.  When I start the car and select my driver profile the seat base then moves up.  Googling around it appears a common issue across the VAG.

I'm going to try the reset this evening and see if that helps.  The memory functions definitely aren't being stored as after following the procedure and then pressing 1, 2 or 3 on the stored memory presets, the seat will just move to some random position.  

I had the same problem, as I have the seat all the way back and all the way down. 

When unlocking, the seat would move forwards and upwards. The dealer said I had gone beyond the parameters of the motors!!!!

The only way I can stop it from doing this every time I get in, is to turn off 'personalisation' in the settings menu. 

Well done Skoda/VAG

4 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Did they elaborate on 'security reasons'?  

I've heard that airline seats won't stay in their lowest position in order to mitigate ISIS hijackings :D

My english is far from perfect, i meant safety reasons :).
Found this information in the manual: 

• If the inclination angle of the seat backrest relative to the seat surface is greater than 102 °, then it is not possible for safety reasons to save this setting in the memory of the electrically adjustable seats or the remote control key.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, daveo138 said:

I had the same problem, as I have the seat all the way back and all the way down. 

When unlocking, the seat would move forwards and upwards. The dealer said I had gone beyond the parameters of the motors!!!!

The only way I can stop it from doing this every time I get in, is to turn off 'personalisation' in the settings menu. 

Well done Skoda/VAG

I disabled personalisation myself in order to have the seat stay in the lowest position, and I'm pretty ok with that...

Note that lowest position is usually incorrect as you don't have good viewing point. You should only have 4 fingers worth of space above your head, not half a meter.

I've not heard of the four-finger rule before, but I'll have to see how my seating position compares. I keep raising it up, bit by bit. I'd rather see out of the top half of the windscreen than the bottom half. That's the Optimism Rule. 

Also, if the seat is higher, the sunshade is more useful over the driver's side window when the sun is low. Or, I shoulda bought wraparound shades.

To the OP: I did the reset exercise (two seconds hold at each of the extremes) and things seem to be set now. In fact, I've done two obviously different settings for button 1 and button 2, and when you push the button the seat "zooms" into place.

The irony is, I doubt there will ever be another driver than me in this car.

Sorry for the ramble, but I've just checked out a new French restaurant in our neighbourhood.

Cheers! :drink:

Maybe it's the five finger rule, depends on how big hand is :)

The idea is that the space above the head should be large enough so you don't hit your head when going over a big bump, but not bigger as it will limit your visibility and it makes dazzling from incoming light beams worse.

Edited by ionelmc

Thanks for the advice on how I should sit in my own car.  I didn't realise I was being so unsafe and irresponsible by sitting a in what I perceive as a comfortable position, sitting in my car rather than feeling like I'm sat on it; whilst still maintaining good all round visibility and control.  I've been doing it wrong for ~20 years. :tongueout:

Once I've reset my seat I'm off to do some donuts in a local Nando's car park. 

16 hours ago, Mico01 said:

My english is far from perfect, i meant safety reasons :).
Found this information in the manual: 

• If the inclination angle of the seat backrest relative to the seat surface is greater than 102 °, then it is not possible for safety reasons to save this setting in the memory of the electrically adjustable seats or the remote control key.

Don't apologise as I'm 100% confident your English is far better than my Swedish. :)

I had come across this in the manual and it's not the case here as I have my seat back fairly upright. 

1 minute ago, freelunch said:

@penguin17 You're clearly doing it all wrong! Next time I see a Škoda with the driver's eyeballs peering out just above the window sill, I'll know it's penguinF1.

:biggrin:

Oooft :biggrin:

Perhaps if you sat higher you wouldn't have curbed your alloy? :tongueout:

• Like 1