Ordering a Sportline Combi - options

Hello

So we are approaching the point where we will be ordering a Sportline Combi. Some things are decided, like the 280 powertrain (driven a demo L&K, just so much fun). We've a list of options we think would be useful/would like. I'd appreciate view on what we propose and if we've missed anything. Knowing me I'll probably have this car for 10 years so it would be nice to get it right. There is the issue of colour, but perhaps we'll not go there for now.....

So, we propose:

• variable floor (useful for sliding Scuba diving kit in and out)
  • mesh divider (drive around a lot with the boot cover open so will prevent stuff escaping in a crash)
  • full size spare wheel (lots of heavily loaded/towing trips so better than spacesaver/foam)
  • drop down towbar (because its cool!)
  • heated seats front and rear (wifey has back pain, heat really helps)
  • heated windscreen
  • heated jets

thnking about:

• front sensors

sooo, how does that sound? anything people consider 'vital'? are any of those options rubbish?

your views appreciated.

Thank you. Thats just the kind of constructive info I am after from actual owners.

I've had a pm from one of the usual Skoda haters with some less useful 'advice' , but I sort of expected that :-)

• Like 2

Heated rear seats ? Do you have Tin Lids ( Kids ) ? Not a necessity unless a must have IMHO. Rear view Camera some say is a must, being such a large car. I specced it on mine, but i have to say i hardly rely on it. Traffic sign recognition i added & must say i like it (£85) & with it you can add a couple of other things with somebody that has VCDS saving a fair few hundred pounds over a Factory option order. Lane assist i believe is one of them, another Forum member will be able to tell which options in total. I have heated screen & washer jets & glad i added them. Spare wheel a must have. Front sensors would be a good swap over heated rear seats. I love my Sportline & i am sure you will.

Regards, Tisca

We've two kids and they are always moaning when we are in the missus's Yeti that we have toasty bums and theu don't :-) I think the rears add £150 over just the fronts so thay can have that....

Interesting that front sensors are popular. I Think they will go on the list.

I'm used to a long vehicle, my current Vectra estate is pretty much as long as the Superb, and thinking about it I often manage to leave the back of that hanging out of a space.

1 minute ago, edwards said:

We've two kids and they are always moaning when we are in the missus's Yeti that we have toasty bums and theu don't :-) I think the rears add £150 over just the fronts so thay can have that....

Interesting that front sensors are popular. I Think they will go on the list.

I'm used to a long vehicle, my current Vectra estate is pretty much as long as the Superb, and thinking about it I often manage to leave the back of that hanging out of a space.

I came from a 5 series, so the legth of the cars are around the same, the front sensors just give that piece of mind when getting into tight spaces.

• Like 1

Yep, think front sensors will go on for sure. 

This is where I like forums. You get actual feedback from real owners.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 100andthirty said:

go for the front sensors. It's a long bonnet!

48 minutes ago, facet edge said:

Definitely get the front sensors!

It's a long car and I'm always finding that the boot is stuck out of the space when I park nose in. I really wish I had them.

32 minutes ago, RickTT said:

Front sensors are a must also

Another vote from me - I don't have front sensors, but wish I had ordered them.

Also, I think you're doing the right thing ordering a variable boot floor - I didn't due to impatience, and it's a bit of an irritation now that I don't have it.

+1 on the front sensors

I have them on a Superb mk II - probably wouldn't have bought the car without them. I also like that you can turn them on at low speed with a button on the console - ideal for swinging into the entrance to the car park at work which is tight in something as big as a superb.

So it's a little frivolous but I'd love to have the glass roof option - had that on a previous Skoda and really liked how much lighter it made the car. Seems to be smaller and more of a traditional sunroof now though? You may also wish to test the stereo if music in the car is important to you, as there is an upgrade option. The quality of the output is a little disappointing on the mk II for what is supposed to be the flagship model. I'm sure others can advise on how they find it too.

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 1

Front sensors +1 -  A must IMO. 

Heated windscreen - had this on previous cars and on my wife's current car and it's great.  Used twice in the first week and at 0500 it's more appealing than a scraper and de-icer. 

Heated nozzles - warm up quickly and make it easier to clear your screen when temps are low and the roads are covered in salt and Winter crud. 

As above Traffic Sign Recognition is worth a punt as it's the cheapest option which puts a front facing camera on the car which then allows you to enable high beam assist and lane assist via VCDS, much cheaper than spec'ing them from the factory.  Though, I had lane assist on my previous car and never used it.  High beam assist I find invaluable when driving on rural roads at night.

Full size spare wheel - I'd rather have one than a can of foam 

So looks like front sensors are a deffo.

I'll probably spec the sign recognition too.

Just need to think about colour now. I'd like petrol blue but no-one seems to be able to tell me definatively if you can have it on a sportline. Dealer in Bornemouth says yes, carwow configurer says yes, skoda cofigurer says no and I've emailed Skoda and had no reply.

If I cant have that then i am thinking quartz grey or black for the full dark look.

I would not hesitate on Traffic Sign Assist personally for the sake of £85 of whatever it is. In itself it is worth that, and the 'free' features it unlocks are both very good to have. Plus even if you end up not using them they wouldn't hurt the appeal of the car when you come to sell when such things will likely be common place.

Oh and Colour Maxi-Dot (if not standard on the Sportline) is another cheap option I'd add - less than £10 a year if you keep the car for 10 years. Will help to keep the dash looking modern for longer. 

55 minutes ago, Mon55 said:

Oh and Colour Maxi-Dot (if not standard on the Sportline) is another cheap option I'd add - less than £10 a year if you keep the car for 10 years. Will help to keep the dash looking modern for longer. 

I think its standard on the sportline - I'd need to check though.

Mon55 - what colour is your car in your profile pic?

1 hour ago, Mon55 said:

Standard on the Sportline. 

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, edwards said:

I think its standard on the sportline - I'd need to check though.

Mon55 - what colour is your car in your profile pic?

It's Quartz Grey - I'm not completely sure about it to be honest. Some days, in the sun, in looks good, other times I think it is just a bit dull. My preference was probably for silver, but my fiancé preferred the grey.

Here's my take on your options:

• variable floor (useful for sliding Scuba diving kit in and out) - yes sounds like it would be useful to you
  • mesh divider (drive around a lot with the boot cover open so will prevent stuff escaping in a crash) ?? Mesh divider where?
  • full size spare wheel (lots of heavily loaded/towing trips so better than spacesaver/foam) - your call, but could be useful
  • drop down towbar (because its cool!) - I have an aftermarket one as I spent my (lease) money on other options
  • heated seats front and rear (wifey has back pain, heat really helps) Front are standard I think, I have rears as well and the kids love them!
  • heated windscreen - personal preference
  • heated jets - personal preference

At the end of the day, it's your car and you choose what YOU think will actually be useful for you. I didn't go for things like rear camera, front sensors etc as they won't benefit me.

47 minutes ago, Mon55 said:

It's Quartz Grey - I'm not completely sure about it to be honest. Some days, in the sun, in looks good, other times I think it is just a bit dull. My preference was probably for silver, but my fiancé preferred the grey.

Thanks Mon55. That's one I am thinking of if no petrol blue available, although with the gloss black on the sportline it might just look a bit too stealth. But then black would be even darker.

44 minutes ago, Coops said:

Here's my take on your options:

• variable floor (useful for sliding Scuba diving kit in and out) - yes sounds like it would be useful to you
  • mesh divider (drive around a lot with the boot cover open so will prevent stuff escaping in a crash) ?? Mesh divider where?
  • full size spare wheel (lots of heavily loaded/towing trips so better than spacesaver/foam) - your call, but could be useful
  • drop down towbar (because its cool!) - I have an aftermarket one as I spent my (lease) money on other options
  • heated seats front and rear (wifey has back pain, heat really helps) Front are standard I think, I have rears as well and the kids love them!
  • heated windscreen - personal preference
  • heated jets - personal preference

At the end of the day, it's your car and you choose what YOU think will actually be useful for you. I didn't go for things like rear camera, front sensors etc as they won't benefit me.

The mesh divider goes from the roof down to the boot floor - kinda like a dog guard but firmly attached to the C pillar (or B pillar, you can move it forward if you have the rear seats down) and strapped to the floor. It stops stuff being flung forward into the cabin in a crash. my scuba stuff is very heavy and won't fit under the boot cover so I travel with it open. A few years ago a friend of mine had a crash and a 15kg cylinder went from the open boot, through the car and out through the windscreen - thankfully not killing him on the way... I've attached a picture of the device from the manual as fitted to our Yeti.

Towbar, my thoughts are: The fit from new one is £765, but it is particularly neat install  you can operate from inside the boot and includes uprated charging and cooling systems. A Westfalia aftermarket one with Skoda electrics is £365 plus fitting and coding and you don't get the other uprated bits. One site quoted £669 supplied and fitted for a Towsure Eclipse detachable with full electrics. I could fit it myself and save about £300 (have done probably around 10 towbars over the years, including a full 13 pin canbus install on my Vectra) but cutting into a new £30k car fills me with dread..

Heated seats are not standard even in the front on the Sportline AFAIK - I guess because the seats are alcantara not leather. The kids really want them in the back after experiencing them in the front of the Yeti :)  good to know your kids love them!

net divider.png

• Like 1

@edwards understand the divider now, thanks. Towbar comes down to what you'll be towing - for me it's just a bike carrier so don't need uprated cooling or charging. My aftermarket one was £550 all in, supply, fit and coding.

I have access to my parents touring caravan and also tow a canoe trailer,  a climbing wall on a trailer or a box trailer full of camping kit for the Scouts so the other bits are probably more important to me. I do use it for a bike carrier as well :-)

according to the configurator*, heated seats are not standard, and if you want the heated windscreen you also have to added heated seats, either front, or Front&Rear

*yes, I know. It's not always as up to date as we would like - for example it doesn't allow you to choose any blue colour

49 minutes ago, Wet Kipper said:

according to the configurator*, heated seats are not standard, and if you want the heated windscreen you also have to added heated seats, either front, or Front&Rear

*yes, I know. It's not always as up to date as we would like - for example it doesn't allow you to choose any blue colour

Yep, the blue colour thing is odd, eh? I am quite interested in the petrol blue but have some thoughts it might not look right with the gloss black trim so I am hoping it will appear on the configurator sometime soon so i can see a virtual picture.

The heated seats in the front are a definite add-on for us due to the missus having scoliosis and finding it uncomfortable to sit for long periods - her 3 month old Yeti has them and she says that she finds the heat has really helped her back. the kids moan that their seats aren't heated so for £150 extra we'll treat them in the Superb :) Another thing she wishes she had spec'd on the Yeti was the heated screen, as when we collected it we then had a month of freezing conditions! So those are all on the list for the Superb.