Hi, Can I get some opinions and feedback? 

I bought a new petrol Octavia 1.4 TSI with the DSG in 2015.  This was the first DSG car I had owned.  The dealer was not able to provide a petrol Octavia DSG to test drive, only a diesel.  After taking delivery, I found pretty quickly that when I drive it in my area in London, where there is the need to constantly stop to let oncoming vehicles pass in narrow streets, the DSG has a horrible hesitation before resuming moving at about 5 miles an hour.  I have spent over a year complaining to the dealer, Skoda and even VW but they are all totally unwilling to do anything to improve the drive characteristics beyond saying it is "normal" which I find really irritating and galling.

Do other petrol DSG Skoda owners recognise or experience this characteristic?

If you do, do you agree this is a flaw in the way the DSG operates? 

I'm pretty sure Skoda/VW/Audi could upgrade the software to smooth these flat spots if they really wanted to.

I certainly won’t be buying another Skoda.....

Welcome 

Best check with Skoda UK Customer Services or a Main Dealership if your car will be subject to the Service Campaign / Recall Action 

on the DQ200 DSG.

This is the recent one for a Software Update just a few months since called. 34H5.

(Not the Service Campaign 34F7 to change engine oil from Synthetic to Mineral & a Software Update.)

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

Even if this checker is working and not down as usual do not trust it, get your VIN checked on the SKODA System.

Even if not part of the Service Campaign best get your Warranty Diagnosis and repair underway buy starting an action and getting your car booked in for a check.

A Master Tech needs to be doing a Test Drive and a check. No Salespeople or Service Desk Managers unless Qualified Technicians.

Then on the diagnostics if not done before the road test.

If the Dealership is messing you about still raise the Case with SKODA UK Customer Services, ie the Warranty Provider,

they can get Competent & qualified technicians on to your case.

Edited by Awayoffski

^^^ Pist0nbr0ke,

There should be no need unless the VW Group want to pay for them.

The DSG should be fault free as purchased and within the Manufacturers warranty and best not to void a Manufacturers Warranty with Non Factory Approved Parts or Software.

Especially now that 2013-2015 DSG can be part of Recall Actions already and there are Fundamental Design, Manufacturing or Material Failings with some from some factories.

Maybe this is another matter altogether from the World Wide Recall & Europe Service Campaign as Synthetic Oil should not be an issue in DSG built after 2013.

So this is a recently accepted issue, 

a member posted information in a thread from a Russian Website on what the issues are on affected DSG. 2013-2015...

A thread in the Fabia Mk2 Section.

34H5 Service Campaign posts also first on Briskoda in the RAPID Section and General Maintenance Section threads.

Edited by Awayoffski

+1 

Its more likely to be the throttle control system, these fly by wires accelerators are very technical and don't give instant responce. The DTUK pedalbox gets round this software issue which I believe is setup more for fuel efficiency than driver convenience.

• Like 1

i have exactly the same problem, I doubt its a throttle problem , as if you put the gearbox into sport mode, it masks the problem and it doesn't happen, but why should we keep having to put the car into sport mode just to avoid the hesitation problem?

I'm so sick and tired of Skoda dealers telling me there isn't a problem with these gearboxes, and weve never had that problem before etc etc.

VW know the gearbox is poor to say the least, which is why they're now in the process of replacing it with a wet clutch 7 speed box.

I am so fed up with it, i am now getting shot of the car after only 18 months, this was my 3rd brand new Octavia ,sadly Skoda have lost my confidence so I wont be buying another car from them.

Its not just inconvenient ,it is potentially dangerous, if the car hesitates at the wrong moment it could leave us in trouble .

Edited by DaggersOctavia

Hi DaggersOctavia,  I could have written your post myself.  You are singing from my hymn sheet.  I do exactly like you - put the box into Sports mode to pull away, then flip it back to Drive but it's really irritating to have to do this.  I also agree it is potentially dangerous as you sometimes have to hold your breath as you accelerate into a stream of traffic and wait for the vehicle to start moving.  I have taken this whole DSG performance issue up with Skoda UK as well as the dealer who supplied the car and they do not want to know. 

I fully sympathise with you "NotHappywithSkoda" it is disgraceful that they don't accept its a problem, and claim its normal etc etc.

the fact that putting it into sport masks the problem shows that its probably software related ,so they should be able to cure the problem.

I agree totally that we shouldn't have to put it in sport mode to avoid the hesitation , I don't like sport mode at all when driving in London traffic so avoid it where I can, just selecting it when slowing down at roundabouts, junctions etc, then straight back into normal once ive moved off .

its a shame, I like the car very much ,but am sick to death of Skoda and the dealers not doing anything to cure the problem, or even acknowledging it is a problem, so I shall be cutting my losses and trading it in for another car, which wont be a Skoda.

Edited by DaggersOctavia

Is he talking about lag when moving form stand stil when applying throttle?

I didn't find any issue with DSG on mine.

16 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Not heard of the VW Group discontinuing the DQ 200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG.

They are starting to use the 7 Speed Wet Clutch boxes instead of 6 Speed Wet Clutch DSG.

not sure where I read that the new  7 speed wet clutch box was replacing the 7 speed dry clutch DQ 200  ,cant find the article now ,perhaps I misunderstood, but I'm sure it said the DQ200 was being discontinued.

Is this purely a 7 speed issue? Assume you have turned off the stop/start "feature"?

I can't say I have ever noticed any lag on my 6 speed vRS from stand still - in fact I have always been very impressed with the DSG having not initially been convinced.

I did have a loan 1.4 tsi 7 speed whilst mine was being serviced and it did seem very eager to stay/change up to second from standstill, but a bit of extra gas seemed to take it away quick enough...

Don't blame Skoda.

It's a VW gearbox that Skoda are forced to use.

DSG are well known for this delay.

Highlights the need for proper test drives.

Looks like being an Octavia Mk3 1.4 TSI's 7 speed DSG Issue that some Skoda Dealership Employees and Skoda UK Customers Services Employees seem to want 

owners / drivers / keepers to accept as being as the Worlds now biggest car manufacturers engineers built to behave like as described in this thread.

Clearly they are full of guff and need to get their Factory Engineers involved in resolving any issues that mean a poor driving vehicle.

'Vorsprung durch technik'  Just get a drive in a Courtesy Car identical to yours from the 'Skoda Management cars' that they have so many of and see how it drives, before they sell it on as a 'Skoda Approved Car'.

SOMEONE FROM SKODA UK MANAGEMENT CAN DRIVE YOUR CAR FOR A WEEK OR 3.

Edited by Awayoffski

1 hour ago, glosrich said:

DSG are well known for this delay.

As above - perhaps some are, but I don't have this issue on my 6 speed...

toni8b - that's just what I don't want to do.  You then end up driving the car like a manual.  Fuel economy should be provided by selecting "E" mode on the DSG.  "D" should provide a smooth drive through all the gears with no hesitations.  Sure "S" mode gives it to you at low speed but then you end up over revving the car.  "D" should provide a happy medium through all gears with no hesitations.

The reason sport mode hides the delay is because it has a more aggressive throttle software,  the DTUK pedalbox gives you a sport mode throttle when in Eco mode.

Its not rocket science and Skoda won't fix what they created that way so, if you don't want to lose a lot of money changing cars, buy a pedalbox.

• Like 2

This is a common trait on even top end DSG gearboxes. My mates Merc is terrible. I have a 1.4TSi 7 Speed DSG and when traffic is stop start, or busy, I just stick it into manual mode. It's called 'driving' rather than thinking a few lines of software code will always select the right gear. It isn't rocket science.

• Like 3