Is the stereo any good?

Hi

I've just ordered an SE-L exec. Wanted to make sure the car didn't bounce, rattle & creak when test driving, and as a result didn't check out the stereo!  I know the L&K stereo is good, but couldn't justify the purchase. So what's the regular stereo like? The car I ordered has 8" touch screen and nav, but it is not the 10 speaker fancy stereo from the L&K.

Coming from a Mazda 6 with a Bose stereo I hope I'll not be disappointed...

Thanks.

• Like 1

The Mazda stereo is really great, but it doesn't have a touch screen or nav, so I'll accept the trade off I suppose... can't do much about it now! :-)

Kicked myself for not testing it! Tested the one in a Kia Optima estate (Harman Kardon) and it was brilliant. 

Hey ho.  Cheers for the reply fella.

No probs Jim :-) Well all i'll say is the Bose and the Harman Kardon are hundreds more for a reason.... I've never had one... I'm more than happy with the Superb standard kit and I'm a bit of an audiophile with the house HiFi.... Thing is it's so subjective...

To my ears it has a nice sound when adjusted properly. I listen to everything from Bach to Wasp and think it sounds great.... Maybe if I had heard the others though lol !! ??

• Like 1

I know...  I've got 2 kids who love turning it up (as do I). Their latest is that very bassy track from the Tiguan advert with the bloke dropping his kids off at school.

We put that on on the school run and crank it up. The Mazda has a tyre fix kit with no spare wheel. The massive bass speaker is in the wheel well!  It'll be fine - I need to grow up anyway ;-)

• Like 2

I also have a Mazda 6 with Bose system... tbh, I don't think it is any better than the Audi A6 with standard system I had previously... maybe I have no appreciation for high quality audio :)

Yeah been their hahaha !! Mine is 11... Sound cranked up. Windows down... I make sure I have my sunglasses on .... Look forward to hearing a proper detailed review / comparison from you !

If u like a quality sound and u coming from Mazda with Bose system, u should go back to dealer and add Canton system to your car ASAP. Different between standard and Canton its very significant and u will regret that u didn't spend this few coins on decent sound system.

If the sound is really important then I would go and audition the Canton..... For me the base unit is good enough.... Like you £600 is a lot of dosh... Personally I was just too scared to audition the Canton because of the possible outcome and Wife beating..... No that's not me beating the wife ....

• Like 2

I love my music and appreciate a good set of speakers. I was like you, £600 is a lot of dish and couldn't justify it for all the time I'm in the car (mostly weekends only).

I am very happy with the standard setup, plenty (enough) of bass and only a touch too much treble for my liking. That was easily sorted using the equaliser, but after a couple of mths I reverted back to flat line across as the board as the speaker's had run in well. 

Not having heard the Canton, what I haven't had I don't miss. It would also ha e been a wasted option as I'm now having to change my car due to an extra sproglet arriving soon! 3 car seats do not fit safely, so its an SMAX for me! I'm Not happy, but all alternatives were vetoed by my wife.  

Happy wife happy life they say, I've experienced the not happy wife and do not wish to again! Time will tell if I am right, but the Ford wouldn't have been my choice.

• Like 2

I went from Canton on my previous Superb (albeit less sophisticated than the newer system) to the standard system on my new Style and I am surprisingly happy with it.  I know it is very subjective but the standard sound system is absolutely fine and if you tweak it a little for balance etc, you can get the most out of it.  Its one of those things that you might notice at first but will very quickly get used to it.  Try get a listen from both standard and Canton though.

• Like 1

Right   

Executive decision made.

£600 will not be blown on a stereo upgrade. In a few weeks I'll give it a fair appraisal and compare with the outgoing Bose unit. I know which way that will go, but will do it all the same. We will play the Tiguan advert on the way to collect it and on the return journey.  And I'll let the kids decide ☺

Time will tell. 

• Like 3

Where are the main front speakers positioned in the MK3? In the MK2 they are right at the B pillar end of the doors which puts them down by your arse at seat level, which is why the upgraded system sounds better.

have they moved them forward towards the dashboard now?

41 minutes ago, Twelvebears said:

Where are the main front speakers positioned in the MK3? In the MK2 they are right at the B pillar end of the doors which puts them down by your arse at seat level, which is why the upgraded system sounds better.

I never looked - but I'm back in tomorrow to sign some more paperwork so I'll check. In the brochures etc that I have, they clearly show the front door speakers where you'd expect them to be, closer to the hinges than the seatbelt/arse area... But all the shiny photos in the brochure are of the model with the Canton setup. I imagine they'll be in the same place on other models, but with less capable speakers behind the plastic...?

Is there anything approaching a consensus on the best settings (tone, balance and fader) to use with the standard system? 

Notwithstanding the limited amount to tweaking that can be done, has anyone gone to the trouble of doing anything like this: http://www.carstereochick.com/2012/08/09/how-to-properly-set-an-equalizer-in-a-car-audio-system/ ?

Edited by Mon55

1 hour ago, Mon55 said:

Is there anything approaching a consensus on the best settings (tone, balance and fader) to use with the standard system? 

Notwithstanding the limited amount to tweaking that can be done, has anyone gone to the trouble of doing anything like this: http://www.carstereochick.com/2012/08/09/how-to-properly-set-an-equalizer-in-a-car-audio-system/ ?

Its a personal thing again to an extent.  I have the fader set just a notch behind the centre point i.e. very slightly towards the rear passenger area.  I've turned the treble down a little and the bass up about two notches from the mid point.  Balance right in the middle if that makes sense.  That's the optimal for me as it gets the most depth of sound into the system IMO.

On 3/14/2017 at 19:11, Twelvebears said:

Been down to the dealer. The speakers are now where you'd expect them to be. The sound quality is - erm - ok I suppose but then I didn't have any music on me or on my iPhone, so I just checked out the radio. The whole system with the SD card readers, Nav, phone connectivity etc is way better than the Mazda, but the sould is not a patch on the Bose, as I had feared. I maintain my stance however, that it doesn't justify a £600 improvement. £600 will buy be rubber mats, roof bars, roof box, bike carriers, you name it...  I carry a LOT of stuff about and we go camping and muddy biking so the priority is focused... Yes, even this car will need a roof box on it.

1 hour ago, jimcallaghan said:

Been down to the dealer. The speakers are now where you'd expect them to be. The sound quality is - erm - ok I suppose but then I didn't have any music on me or on my iPhone, so I just checked out the radio. The whole system with the SD card readers, Nav, phone connectivity etc is way better than the Mazda, but the sould is not a patch on the Bose, as I had feared. I maintain my stance however, that it doesn't justify a £600 improvement. £600 will buy be rubber mats, roof bars, roof box, bike carriers, you name it...  I carry a LOT of stuff about and we go camping and muddy biking so the priority is focused... Yes, even this car will need a roof box on it.

Just to note that I've found the sound to be pretty bad when listening to DAB radio - perhaps because the standard stereo is actually half decent and so highlights the relatively poor quality of the DAB broadcast. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mon55 said:

Just to note that I've found the sound to be pretty bad when listening to DAB radio - perhaps because the standard stereo is actually half decent and so highlights the relatively poor quality of the DAB broadcast. 

with hindsight I'd have not been such a moron and I'd have stuck some music on my phone before turning up. Hey ho.

Again jim, mats, roof box/ bars, camping gear that all can be easy added later, u will not have this option with Canton sound system so if u decide to not go for this, there will be no way back. When i order my sportline that was 1st option to must have. So do it for your own pleasure! :p

2 minutes ago, lukas883 said:

Again jim, mats, roof box/ bars, camping gear that all can be easy added later, u will not have this option with Canton sound system so if u decide to not go for this, there will be no way back. When i order my sportline that was 1st option to must have. So do it for your own pleasure! :p

You're not gonna convince me mate. I fully feel it - and know where you're coming from. I'd like it - and if it were WAY cheaper I'd have gone there - but it's £600! It does not sound £600 better. £600 would get me some AMAZING headphones and a new stereo for the house...  I have to prioritise. I've spent too much. Maybe I shouldn't have the 19" Sirius wheels... ;-)    bugger it.  I stand by my decision.  By many standards it's quite a good setup. Not by Bose standards. Within a month I'll have forgot what the Bose was like. And I'll be £600 better off. (I'm convincing myself ha ha!)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jimcallaghan said:

Just out of interest - are you cash buying or PCP / HP? If it's the latter then a £600 option would have a negligible impact on your monthlies / deposit?

Just a thought.