Near side mirror keeps repositioning

Being short of leg and fat of gut I have to have two memories for my seat. One for driving and one for getting in and out. I've noticed that suddenly to near side mirror keeps repositioning when I use the two settings. Is this normal. It just means I have to reset it. Can I disable this feature.

thanks

Each seat position will have it's own memory settings.

You can either ignore it as the 'driving' mirror position will remain constant, otherwise re-save both seat positions with the mirror in the same place.

And don't forget if you leave the mirror selector set to the 'L' position it will also drop down so you can see the kerb when you select reverse. ;) 

Why the 2 settings,????? you should be able to get out in the driving position without altering the seat or moving it, or you have the steering wheel to close

Edited by skippy41

1 hour ago, skippy41 said:

Why the 2 settings,????? you should be able to get out in the driving position without altering the seat or moving it, or you have the steering wheel to close

Richard gave us the answer in his opening post and was wonderfully subtle about it!   :D

On 3/14/2017 at 21:28, richard999 said:

Being short of leg and fat of gut I have to have two memories for my seat. One for driving and one for getting in and out

Thanks. At the moment I'm on a six week diabetic clinic at the local hospital. ( one afternoon a week) It's excellent. It's all my own fault. They read me the riot act ( in a nice way) and said do something or you'll go blind and have your legs cut off. So I've gone on a sensible diet ( no point in doing a crash one... It all goes back on eventualy , and more). Have done reasonable...lost three pounds in two weeks. SWMBO has been very good keeping me away from the biscuit tin. Thing is I don't smoke, rarely drink, can't remember the last time I had me leg over. So apart from food the only pleasure I have in life is watching Aston Villa.

onward and upward

Richard...... Have you not thought about having the moving seat function (can't remember its proper name) enabled for when you get in and out of the car?

It automatically moves the driver's seat fully back when you get in and out and reverts to your normal position when the ignition is on. 

Thanks. At the moment I'm on a six week diabetic clinic at the local hospital. ( one afternoon a week) It's excellent. It's all my own fault. They read me the riot act ( in a nice way) and said do something or you'll go blind and have your legs cut off. So I've gone on a sensible diet ( no point in doing a crash one... It all goes back on eventualy , and more). Have done reasonable...lost three pounds in two weeks. SWMBO has been very good keeping me away from the biscuit tin. Thing is I don't smoke, rarely drink, can't remember the last time I had me leg over. So apart from food the only pleasure I have in life is watching Aston Villa.

onward and upward

17 hours ago, WaveyDavey said:

Richard...... Have you not thought about having the moving seat function (can't remember its proper name) enabled for when you get in and out of the car?

It automatically moves the driver's seat fully back when you get in and out and reverts to your normal position when the ignition is on. 

Would this put extra strain on the eletric motors and screw theads that move the seat due to moving the seat on a regular basis whilst a person was sat on the seat. Are the motors designed for this function to work over many years

7 hours ago, WaveyDavey said:

I'm not sure it's in the manual.... It can be enabled via VCDS though. I'll have a look for some more info later this evening for you. 

6 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Would this put extra strain on the eletric motors and screw theads that move the seat due to moving the seat on a regular basis whilst a person was sat on the seat. Are the motors designed for this function to work over many years

I've found the post I'd seen it mentioned in before....... Looks like the official name is "Easy Entry option"

Looks like @Simbo is the man to ask regarding it's effect on the seat motors..... Although the OP is manually moving the seat via the seat memory buttons every time anyway so there won't be any extra wear and tear will there???? ;) 

Edited by WaveyDavey

I have "Easy Entry" enabled. Provided you've not opened the driver door before you remove you key, it moves the seat back by about 10cm, which is helpful. If you do open the door, and then remove the key, it doesn't move the seat. However, when you then return to the car and unlock the door, it moves the seat back before you get in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, numskull said:

I have "Easy Entry" enabled. Provided you've not opened the driver door before you remove you key, it moves the seat back by about 10cm, which is helpful. If you do open the door, and then remove the key, it doesn't move the seat. However, when you then return to the car and unlock the door, it moves the seat back before you get in. 

If the seat moves back when unlocking the car, then when you leave the car and lock it, the seat moves back to the driving position?

13 hours ago, TLV said:

If the seat moves back when unlocking the car, then when you leave the car and lock it, the seat moves back to the driving position?

Errr, no. In your scenario, it'd be "Easy Exit/Hard Entry! 

The only time the system will not operate, is when you open the driver door when before you remove the key and then the seat remains in the driving position. It's the removal of the ignition key and then the door being opened that activates the seat to retract. 

It's both a safety and operational feature, as the system expects you'd switch-off the engine and remove the key before you open the door. If however, you were say, stuck in traffic and switched off the engine, you'd leave the key in the ignition, naturally you wouldn't want the seat to move to the "Easy" position! On the odd occasion I've done this I just manually move the seat back. 

When you then return and unlock the car, the seat returns to its programmed "Easy" position to allow you, well, easier access. ;) 

Once you get in the car and insert the ignition key and switch on, the seat moves to the driving position. 

Edited by numskull
Updated

Unlock the car, the seat moves back, you open the door, get in, put the key in ignition, seat moves forward, drive.

Stop the car, remove key, the seat moves back, open the door, get out, lock the car.

Notice the seat somehow moves back twice, yet forward once? It implies the seat moves forward at some point after being locked. I'm not trying to nitpick your explanation, but just curious about how and why it's been made in that specific way.

18 minutes ago, TLV said:

Unlock the car, the seat moves back, you open the door, get in, put the key in ignition, seat moves forward, drive.

Stop the car, remove key, the seat moves back, open the door, get out, lock the car.

Notice the seat somehow moves back twice, yet forward once? It implies the seat moves forward at some point after being locked. I'm not trying to nitpick your explanation, but just curious about how and why it's been made in that specific way.

No, you're repeating yourself...

When you open the car, the seat is already in the retracted "Easy" position, from your last exit. 

The only time it will move back when you open the car, is when the system has not activated on your last exit, because you opened the door before removing the key. 

Does that help?

Edited by numskull
Update
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This this easy entry/exit thing go the same for the other way? What i mean is, im quite tall and have my seat quite far back and when i get out of the car, my seat seems to move forward. I assumed this was to help me get out without hitting the b-pillar.