Door mirror indicator repeater

Hi,

Another fault ! Only just noticed this one.

The indicator in the LHS door mirror housing has stopped working. Seems to be a LED (should last a long time - but if they are overdriven to make them brighter they will fail much sooner).

Question is how do I get at it !  One way or another I can replace the LED or get proper replacement, but need some expert knowledge !

Thanks,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Thanks for that, never had to remove the mirror glass before, I assume it is clipped onto the motor with wiring to the heater. Mine has the puddle lights, will have a look when its off to see if I can get at the LED and replace just that - will also check if it lights with external volts in case its a wiring fault.

Not too bad to replace whole unit if a repair proves difficult (impossible ?). I know the car would fail MOT (not due for a few months) if these repeaters were not working.

Lloyd

To remove the glass I believe the technique is to push the lower edge in and then get fingers behind the top edge and pull. Best done wearing gloves - just in case! You may also need to remove the plastic mirror casing. If so, this is just clipped at the front and then lifts off. Good luck. It's probably very straightforward but I have to confess I left mine for the garage to do just in case the glass broke. 

If you do not fancy doing it yourself, I recently had my drivers side wing mirror LED indicator replaced during a service.  Total price including replacing a High Level brakelight LED and an off side rear indicator bulb came to approximately £46.  I was actually expecting it to cost a whole lot more, to be honest.

My only complaint was they left the old indicator bulb in the boot which had managed to slide between the dog bed and blanket, but I found it before Hadley did, so no harm done!

Done this myself recently and didn't remove the mirror glass (my L/K has the original auto dimming glass - expensive to replace!)

I followed the video above and found that all that was needed was the belief the mirror case comes off, eventually... and a decent extension on a screwdriver that is magnetic.

Thanks for that, never had to remove the mirror glass before, I assume it is clipped onto the motor with wiring to the heater. Mine has the puddle lights, will have a look when its off to see if I can get at the LED and replace just that - will also check if it lights with external volts in case its a wiring fault.

Not too bad to replace whole unit if a repair proves difficult (impossible ?). I know the car would fail MOT (not due for a few months) if these repeaters were not working.

Lloyd

Thank you for all your advice.

Looks much easier to deal with with the mirror housing off (as excellent video), just very fiddley !

Now to order a replacement and have a go ! Will use this method to replace glass on other side (fell out some time ago and lost a couple of corners). Problem is is used Soudal Fixall (just spots) to stick the glass back, may have problems getting it off ! Can get at the mirrors heater wires easier for re-connection.

Lloyd

Pretty easy to do with the correct star bit, and so long as you are reasonably careful you should not break the mirror glass. 

They are considerably tougher than you may think.

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 20:49, phoneman(ret) said:

Problem is is used Soudal Fixall (just spots) to stick the glass back, may have problems getting it off ! Can get at the mirrors heater wires easier for re-connection.

Did the Soudal Fix ALL (crystal??) allow the heating element to work?????? properly? (or not too well). (I have some of this stuff).

I have used contact spray in the past to stick the heating element back on but it doesn't work very well heat wise, although this may be faulty anyway.

Managed to get cowl off mirror (difficult or what !) then quite easy to remove the indicator. After a bit of dismantling, found the little PCB with three SM LEDs. One LED had failed s/c (what a @@!!**@ bit of design). Thought of replacing them, but needed to get the  correct intensity LEDs (they are probably quite bright and have lenses on them). Chickened out and bought a replacement unit ! Would have been much better if the indicator (with puddle light) had been screwed on from below for easy (puddle light bulb replacement), but that would be too sensible !

As to the mirror glass, don't think the heater worked as well through the Soudal, come to think of it, it seemed to take longer to defrost than the other mirror.

I think replacement mirror glass (aspherical in this case) has an adhesive backing which should be heat proof. The original glass had what looked like brown varnish. 

I couldn't get to the led in mine without breaking the black led housing (like in the video) away from the clear lens (once taken apart). Still couldn't get to the led though.

I have opened mine up and cleaned it before as water had got inside and rusted a little. Yours sounds like a different design as I didn't think you could get to the led.

I'd still recommend taking the glass out, must be better (and sounds easier) than risking damaging the housing.

How much was the replacement?

Edited by Tilt

• 11 months later...

I have to replace my Left & Right Mirror Indicator LED (with Puddle Lamps). However when I have taken mine apart they do not have an electrical connector on the black bit as shown in the video. The electrical connector on mine is inline and the wires split to go to the Puddle Lamp holder and direct to the LED which is embedded in a rubber area.

Is this a different part number (2005 Octavia II Elegance 1.9 TDi PD)

• 5 months later...
On 17/03/2017 at 18:00, Fin69 said:

If you do not fancy doing it yourself, I recently had my drivers side wing mirror LED indicator replaced during a service.  Total price including replacing a High Level brakelight LED and an off side rear indicator bulb came to approximately £46.  I was actually expecting it to cost a whole lot more, to be honest.

My only complaint was they left the old indicator bulb in the boot which had managed to slide between the dog bed and blanket, but I found it before Hadley did, so no harm done!

That's a great price - where did you get it done?

My O/S LED's are starting the fail in the mirror repeater so need it fixed, might even try it myself !

I recently replaced my driver's side unit .... The unit was £30 odd from EBay and my local garage done the actual change over for nothing as I'm a regular .. I gave the boss £10 though... He removed the glass as even if it broke its a cheaper replacement than a new mirror cover and a paint job 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, indicator said:

hello I have a 2006 skoda Octavia larin and klement hatchback the left side indicator is not working but the puddle lights are I was just wondering does this have a seperate bulb for the indicator or not

No the indicator is a sealed LED and not replaceable separately, so you will need to get a complete indicator and puddle light unit which is around £30 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...