Service plan, service and maintenance?

GavChap

We're picking up our brand new citigo on Tues. We've got a 42 month PCP. The dealer's trying to upsell us on a servicing plan. We've got the option of the 2 services for £279 or 3 services for £440 or service and maintenance for £627. For the latter 2 they're already over 36 months (i think) for the first option is spread over 12 months or lump sum.

I'm a little confused over why on a brand new car you'd want a maintenance plan when the warranty should cover stuff that goes wrong? Obviously there's the wear and year stuff like brake pads, but not sure that's worth the extra 200 quid. We'll be doing around 6000 miles a year.

What did you do about servicing and why?

Edited by GavChap

My opinion,but I wouldn't bother with the maintenance plan. The two service option sounds  quite good value if that's for a minor and a major service.

• Like 1

Of course they want to sell you all they can...it's called "good business" and if you buy all the services in advance, they prevent you from shopping around/going elsewhere for servicing (which you are fully entitled to do).

"Stuff going wrong" fixed under warranty isn't the same as "maintenance".

I didn't take them up on any pre-paid offers....just pay for each service when it occurs. However, the price they quote for a service is negotiable...my Skoda dealer takes about 35% off the maximum price that Skoda quote for each service. As a result, my first three services have totalled a lot less than the pre-paid "service plan" that was quoted when buying the car originally. It depends how you approach the servicing guy (or, in my case, lady) and if they are open to bargaining!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RickW said:

My opinion,but I wouldn't bother with the maintenance plan. The two service option sounds  quite good value if that's for a minor and a major service.

Yeah there's an offer at the moment for a minor and major for £279.

• 4 weeks later...

It's very much a personal thing. Trying to bargain for service pricing can work, but often not. And how much you save can be misleading as each year you may or may not get money off of a rising cost meaning in year two or three you are not saving or hardly saving anything over a service plan price. Whereas, fixing your service costs with a plan can work out as cheap or better. At least if you have a service plan you are guarded against those rising costs of servicing which go up every year. In the past we have saved loads by paying for a service plan, fixing our service costs. On the new Fabia we have just bought, I've again fixed the cost.