Adaptive cruise

This has been bothering me for some time and I am wondering if I am alone in this

I use adaptive cruise all the time and find it fantastic, however I find that I am unable to set

it near enough to the car in front to stop others cutting in on me or tailgating me to speed up.

I have also found that even when I set the ACC to the nearest setting, it seems to reset it self

again on engine restart, am I imagining this?

Superb 3  L&K DSG Combi

55 minutes ago, Superb626 said:

I have also found that even when I set the ACC to the nearest setting, it seems to reset itself again on engine restart, am I imagining this?

Probably not. It sounds like you've got one of the 5 preset distances selected.

Check your settings in the infotainment: Car -> Settings -> Driver Assistance.

The ACC can be set to Last Distance Selected or any of the 5 distances from Very Close to Very Far.

If you have one of the 5 distances set then the ACC will always revert back to that particular distance setting. Just change it to Last Distance Selected.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superb626 said:

Thanks BillyJim  I will check that tomorrow and report, have you found the nearest is not near enough?

I can't answer for BillyJim, but are you sure you're not just used to unintentionally tailgating? I generally have my DCC set to two bars back from the car in front. It's a healthy gap, but nothing ridiculous if you count the seconds between you. I wouldn't consider the closest setting to be 'too far away'. 

Regarding people tailgating you to 'speed up'... Your speed surely won't change regardless of how close or far you are from the car in front. By that I mean you're still doing 70mph (for example) whether you're up the next car's arse or you're three seconds behind it. I do know what you mean, though, about some poor drivers who imagine that if you're not dry humping the car in front then somehow you're costing them 'progress'. Don't let them bully you forwards provided you're making reasonable progress and aren't lane hogging. There's nothing wrong with keeping a healthy zone of relative safety between you and the car in front - much more so, ironically, when you're being tailgated and/or pressured from behind!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superb626 said:

Thanks BillyJim  I will check that tomorrow and report, have you found the nearest is not near enough?

I'll answer for BillyJim though - I rarely use it.

I generally don't drive long distances and avoid motorways as much as I can. I use ACC mostly on my three or four annual continental road trips and, with a few exceptions to the rule, the motorists are generally much better behaved on the motorways than at home. Driver's are less inclined to take away your safety distance (a.k.a. cut you up) so in those countries with motorway limits (so everywhere except Germany) I find the second-closest setting the most comfortable.

As for tailgating, it happened to me in Belgium - so close I couldn't see his/her headlights, at night and at high speed.

The Superb's brake lights are extremely bright. A gentle (and I mean very gentle) touch on the brake pedal will activate the brake lights without applying actual braking or disengaging ACC. Just be aware the result of flooding the tailgating driver's eyes with those bright red lights, especially at night, can have a very drastic effect.

• Like 1

My wife is not a cruise control person at all and never used to use them (where I do all the time). But since we had the Superb she does nothing but drive on ACC. One of its best features.

Edited by Alf01
spelling

I closed up too close on the car in front yesterday (60 mph in the outside lane with the other two lanes deserted !)

I then saw in the display in front of me at the bottom left two cars close together with an exclamation mark, warning me that I was too close.

13 hours ago, Superb626 said:

I use adaptive cruise all the time and find it fantastic, however I find that I am unable to set

it near enough to the car in front to stop others cutting in on me or tailgating me to speed up.

I have also found that even when I set the ACC to the nearest setting, it seems to reset it self

again on engine restart, am I imagining this?

Superb 3  L&K DSG Combi

I have mine set on ‘very close’ and yes people will pull into the gap, it is however the ‘2 second rule’ distance away from the car in front, so although it is indeed too far away in the UK (to stop others constantly from pulling into the gap) it is the closest Škoda would  set it.

I also have mine set to ‘Last Distance Selected’ and it remembers it.

6 minutes ago, Gizmo68 said:

I have mine set on ‘very close’ and yes people will pull into the gap, it is however the ‘2 second rule’ distance away from the car in front, so although it is indeed too far away in the UK (to stop others constantly from pulling into the gap) it is the closest Škoda would  set it.

Here in Sweden we talk about 3 seconds rule.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scherpa said:

Here in Sweden we talk about 3 seconds rule.

With all the great rally drivers your country has produced I thought you would be talking about a one second rule:biggrin:

• Like 1

Thanks Guys for all the advice, something you may or may not know that I found out by accident

when adaptive cruise stops in traffic and the few seconds elapse for the car to start automatically

normally I would have tipped the accelerator  to move, however I have now found that all I have to do

is to pull the ACC stalk towards me and off we go! no accelerator required, very handy.

• Like 1

Had a Volvo V40 D3, R-Design, for the weekend, nice enough, strong engine although it did convince me that getting the 220TSI was the way forward. Anyway it only had cruise control not ACC and it didn't seem right, almost pointless if you know what I mean.  Looking forward to getting my Superb.:time:

How about "semi" autonomous mode ?

ACC + lane assist = car that drives and steers itself :biggrin:

Freaked me out the first time I tried it, would not try it on the twisty roads but certainly dual and motorways and fast A roads seems fine.

It does require a small nudge of the steering wheel every so often as I found out the other day, initially the MFD tells you to take control of steering, if you do not it will briefly alarm, if still no steering wheel input the car stamps on the brakes very briefly - at that point I moved the wheel so don't know if it would bring itself to a stop.

38 minutes ago, Smudgers said:

at that point I moved the wheel so don't know if it would bring itself to a stop.

Yes it would.

Per the Manual...

The assistant for emergencies (following known as system) detects inactivity of the driver, which for example can be caused by a sudden loss of consciousness. The system then performs measures as safely as possible to decelerate the vehicle to a stop.
The system is only available for vehicles with Automatic transmission.

If the system detects the driver's inactivity, it draws attention to this fact by a beep and a message on the display of the instrument cluster. It keeps the vehicle in its lane.
If the driver does not take over the steering even after repeated warning, the system begins to automatically brake the vehicle. After the vehicle has come to a stop, automatic activation of the parking brake takes place.
With automatic braking, the hazard warning lights are activated to warn other road users.
Note: The automatic braking interventions can be cancelled by pressing the accelerator pedal or by steering intervention.

2 hours ago, Smudgers said:

Ok, I'll give it a go, not got to that bit of the manual yet :blush:

Then you might also want to read the remaining part...

WARNING
The system is intended for emergency situations when the driver is suddenly unable to take over the steering task. Therefore, never try to “test” the system - there is a risk of an accident!

changed to last distance selected, works fine, at least I won't have to keep resetting it

will just have to make do with the distance that Skoda has set.

I have ACC and lane assist, will the car stop automatically or should I have specified some other

safety extra?

3 hours ago, Superb626 said:

I have ACC and lane assist, will the car stop automatically or should I have specified some other

safety extra?

It's all in the manual. Again I quote from it...

The assistant for emergencies is an extension of the systems Lane Assist and ACC and works by using the functions of these two systems.

The system can intervene when the following basic conditions are present.

• Lane Assist is activated and the boundary line is detected at least on one side of the lane.
  • ACC is activated and the regulation follows. [Poor translation - in other words ACC is currently controlling the speed]
  • The vehicle speed is no more than about 65 km/h. [40 mph]

So if you decide to go all floppy on the motorway, it's probably not going to work. :ohmy: