Under bonnet insulation

Have ALL Rapids/Spacebacks got NO under bonnet sound proofing/ insulation [pad] fitted from NEW , at least my last 2 Fabias had some fitted on both diesel & petrol engines ! Wonder if the SEAT Toledo has it fitted ? 

Built down to a price, and sold for a higher one. I've never looked for under bonnet padding so I can't verify - however, moaning about the old tech and low spec used to be very popular on here, at least until the MY15 cars came out.

Our MY2017 Rapid Spaceback SE Tech 1.2 tsi 110ps has no under-bonnet sound insulation.  It's probably not necessary because I think this engine is quite smooth and reasonably quiet.  Even so, I was wondering about fitting the insulating pad for further improvement.  It's available from Superskoda at http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/RAPID/Rapid-original-Skoda-Autoas-hood-silenting-panel

Does anyone have any experience of fitting this under-bonnet sound insulation with the 1.2tsi?  Is there any reason not to fit it (e.g. engine cooling)?

My 1.2 TSI Rapid Spaceback (Jan 2014) was fitted with under bonnet sound proofing as standard. 

However, our 62-plate Fabia Combi 1.2 HTP was not. I had to buy it as an accessory part and fit it myself (was only £25 from the parts counter including the clips). However, doing so made a hell of a different in terms of deadening the engine sound at idle and made an improvement to warm-up times. 

9 hours ago, chrisgreen said:

My 1.2 TSI Rapid Spaceback (Jan 2014) was fitted with under bonnet sound proofing as standard. 

However, our 62-plate Fabia Combi 1.2 HTP was not. I had to buy it as an accessory part and fit it myself (was only £25 from the parts counter including the clips). However, doing so made a hell of a different in terms of deadening the engine sound at idle and made an improvement to warm-up times. 

Thanks for that info, Chris.  I guess your 2014 1.2 TSI is the 105ps engine, but that shouldn't make any difference to the usefulness of under-bonnet sound insulation. I think I'll be buying the part - it looks like a low cost, worthwhile improvement.  My Octavia Mk3 VRS 2.0 TSI doesn't have under-bonnet sound proofing either, so I might be buying two parts!

1 hour ago, BACUPIAN said:

I have decided it can only be an improvement ....for a "modest" out lay, part(s) now ordered !!

Could you confirm the part number(s) please?

• 1 month later...
On 05/04/2017 at 22:25, BACUPIAN said:

NOW fitted & really think it should be a "standard" factory fit...no doubt to do with cost cutting !

I agree! I finally got round to ordering and fitting the under-bonnet insulation pad, and I think it makes a noticeable difference in subduing engine sounds on our 1.2 tsi (110ps), particularly at low revs. I could even convince myself that front tyre rumble is more muffled. At £23.24 from my local dealer, I would say that this part gives a worthwhile improvement to overall refinement. I think it took nearly 30 seconds to fit it!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Would it be the same part for a 16plate 1.4two dsg does anyone know? Feel a quick mod coming on. After the temperature goes down a bit and I can get the tyre pressures even close to correct. Pretty sure 40psi set at the stealers is contributing to the poor ride quality and road noise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, knfruitbat said:

Would it be the same part for a 16plate 1.4two dsg does anyone know? Feel a quick mod coming on. After the temperature goes down a bit and I can get the tyre pressures even close to correct. Pretty sure 40psi set at the stealers is contributing to the poor ride quality and road noise.

Yes, all Rapids and Spacebacks currently use the same bonnet, so it's the same insulation part for all cars.

As for the tyre pressure, early morning or very late evening will allow you let the air out without overdoing it. Added bonus is that the air line at your local petrol station will also likely be quiet.

Edited by chrisgreen

3 x nexen nblue hd 185/60 r15 84h

1x hankook kinergy eco on the rear passenger side (this one has a snowflake winter tyre pattern all over the side wall)

didn't have the keys to check the spare

All of them have loads of tread, I would say almost new.

1 hour ago, knfruitbat said:

3 x nexen nblue hd 185/60 r15 84h

1x hankook kinergy eco on the rear passenger side (this one has a snowflake winter tyre pattern all over the side wall)

didn't have the keys to check the spare

All of them have loads of tread, I would say almost new.

Seriously, what kind of a cowboy car dealer let a car go out with three summer tyres and one winter on it. Name and shame!

• Like 1

I took the under bonnet insulation pad from my 14 plate rapid hatch and installed in my new 17 plate Spaceback. Fits perfectly, easy fix. The 1.2 engine is very quite, but it all helps. If nothing else it just looks better!

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

On 2017-6-20 at 22:42, chrisgreen said:

Seriously, what kind of a cowboy car dealer let a car go out with three summer tyres and one winter on it. Name and shame!

Progress Skoda Harlow.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 15:15, knfruitbat said:

Progress Skoda Harlow.

They are my local dealer. When my car was serviced last November it was Spirit Harlow, ready to be taken over by Progress.

• 2 weeks later...

I've  got one for sale, brand new still in packaging, with fitting clips.  Bought it WITHOUT checking to see if car had one fitted!!. 5JA863831.