1.4 or 2.0 petrol estate?

I can't  speak about the current 1.8 which isnt even available in the UK. I was referring to the 1.8 with chain drive for the camshaft in the mk11.

My annual mileage is too small to justify a diesel  (circa 10k) and mostly short journeys. The annual ski trip is the exception.

On 4/7/2017 at 15:42, Gerrycan said:

Actually the 1.4tsi can get near the official figures, if you drive like the official test, or if the conditions are right then better them.

And yes I know the 2.0tsi is umpteen percent more powerful and a lovely engine to boot (and I mean it) but if the vehicle is a FWD then a lot of that excessive torque has to be moderated in 1st and 2nd gears to avoid wheelspin and a few revs in even 3rd gear gets you well into loss of license territory.

Excess is nice on a track but on heavily congested UK roads surely we are talking want over need?

Our 'other' car is a 14 yo 1.3L NA manual Echo and given its head it can exceed our nominal max national speed limits by 50% but the last time I saw an almost identical car actually doing that it was closely pursued by a cop car. Ultimately amusing to watch as it did end safely although probably at some expense.

Want over need, yes 'tis true, but I'd not want go back to an underpowered car, even in the UK

All our current little fleet (see sig. for details) will double the UK National Speed Limit, but that's not important.

What does matter to both of us (IE SWMBO + me) is that all our 2.0 TSi's produce good torque at low engine speeds which helps to get the car off the line quickly,

or inserted into fast-moving traffic with sone degree of ease.

Since we probably only cover 12/13 K miles P.A., over all 3 cars, fuel consumption is not such a high priority, + the 2 FWD cars are averaging 34 - 36 mpg which we ara happy to live with.

(It's possible that the remaps to 250 PS & 360+ Nm help with the performance &/or economy.......)

The Golf has only 4K miles on it, it's AWD & officially rated at 300 PS, so it's overall average of 31-32 mpg might get better with a few more miles, but even though it's overkill, the fun-factor is

worth the extra costs.......

I'm sure that the 1.4 is adequate to cope with the weight & bulk of a Superb, but we wouldn't consider it,for us the 2.0 is the right / better engine for the job. 

Horses & courses..............., DC

• Like 3

As pointed out by others most people seem happy with their eventual choice of engine.

It comes down to the OP sorting out what their personal criteria are and confirming it with as thorough a test drive as can be arranged.

Edited by Gerrycan

On ‎04‎-‎04‎-‎2017 at 11:25, RickTT said:

I change my opinion.. 

I have a octy 3 1.4 tsi hire car while mine is in the garage... Even in the octy it feels gutless compared to my 150tdi and thats unloaded.

I wouldn't want a superb with this engine. Only done 30 miles it in so far so not a true long life test... But make sure you test drive one first !!!

Funny to see, how different people experience the same things. Prior to buying my car, I tested the 2.0 TDI 150 with DSG. Even coming from a 3T Greenline (1.6 TDI) I found the 2.0 TDI very dull. The 1.4 TSI works way better for me, and feels a lot quicker - so that´s what I´ve bought. The dealer did not have any petrol Superb, to I tried the engine in an Octavia - and tried 1.8 TSI as well. Did not feel any major improvement in the 1.8 over the 1.4. (180 vs. 150 HP)

Of course a 2.0 TSI 280 would have been much more fun, but the 1.4 TSI 150 fits the Superb very, very well, IMHO. Even when towing of fully packed, I don´t miss any power. My car has DSG, which might "blurr" the picture slightly.

Edited by GaSelle

9 hours ago, GaSelle said:

Did not feel any major improvement in the 1.8 over the 1.4. (180 vs. 150 HP)

If the engines are to the same spec as they are in the Seat Leon you will not feel much difference unless you rag the engine to the red line every time. The extra 30 PS is only at peak revs and both engines have exactly the same max torque (250 NM) so up to 4000 rpm they are producing exactly the same power.

When I bought the Leon the 1.8 was my initial choice but after driving both that and the 1.4 (in 140 PS spec) I bought the 1.4. The 1.8 was £2000 extra, used loads more fuel, cost more to tax and more to insure, could not honestly see any advantages to it other than bigger brakes but the ones on the 1.4 were perfect.

• Like 2

I bought a 1.4 TSi estate 'blind' - the dealer only had a 2.0 TDi Technology that I could test drive, but I figured that if the power output was the same there shouldn't be much in it.  I'm very pleased with the purchase.  I'm actually quite surprised at how much torque is available from the small capacity petrol engine, and the car can pull away strongly.  Certainly as quick as I would need.

• 1 year later...
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 19:26, skidpan said:

OP

Please go and drive a 1.4 TSi, just make sure its a 150 PS version. I guarantee you will be impressed by the way it goes. I am more than happy with our car which considering we had the same engine in a Leon for almost 4 years is no surprise.

Before we had the Leon we had a BMW 2 litre diesel. Similar power to the TSi but loads more torque. Did it go any better, to be honest the TSi was better everywhere. Even at the pumps the Leon was surprising, the BMW averaged 48 mpg over 5 years, in exactly the same usage the Leon averaged 45 mpg (both calculated).

But don't try and drive it like a diesel. They do like a few more revs but there is no need to rag them to the red line, anywhere between 2000 and 5000 and you will find power a plenty.

If you want slow try a Mazda 6 or CX5 fitted with the 2.0 petrol SkyActive engine. 140 or 160 makes no difference, both dog slow unless you keep the revs between 4 and 6000 and even then its not as impressive as the TSi.

you are so right about the cx5 2.0 petrol had a test drive last week I put my foot to the floor in 4th nothing, i then went in the diesel now that did move so for me I will wait until the kodiaq has the 1.5 to test drive v cx5 diesel.

• 2 weeks later...

Not many years ago 150hp was a lot in a family car...

I've driven the 1.2tsi 105 (Fabia), 1.8tsi 150 (Ocativa), 1.4tsi 125 (Octavia), 1.4tsi 150 (Yeti), 2.0tdi 190 (Superb).

The only engine that felt really slow was the 1.2tsi when loaded... The 1.4tsi engines are wonderful and nippy little ******s of engines! 

But, like everything else this is up to personal preferences. I've the opportunity to drive a Volvo XC90 T8 every now and then. To be completely honest I don't notice any difference in performance compared to my own Tdi190 - this is of course down to my driving style. 

I wouldn't hesitate in giving the 1.4tsi superb  a try! I believe that we "fabricate" a need for more and more HP that we rarely will use.

• Like 2

Well my 1.4 TSI DSG Estate will be delivered in two or three weeks, and after years in a td5 125 HP Defender, that has never seen the other side of 70 mph and mostly just sits at 65 because of noise levels, I think I’m in for a treat. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Letstrythis said:

Well my 1.4 TSI DSG Estate will be delivered in two or three weeks, and after years in a td5 125 HP Defender, that has never seen the other side of 70 mph and mostly just sits at 65 because of noise levels, I think I’m in for a treat. 

That I think we can guarantee :biggrin:

• Like 2

My superb does most of its mileage heavily laden (think roof box and 4 bikes on back, towing box trailers etc) so that probably influences my choices, but I'd say 220 is the power plant for you. But I would say that, I guess. I went 280 anyway but that is almost certainly overkill. Great fun, but overkill :)

• Like 2

When buying my MK3 Superb, I had huge doubts about 1,4 litre engine like most people out there do ( and majority of them have not tested it). I have rather heavy sandals and my current car was Peugeot 508 GT with 200hp and 450Nm torgue so I was more looking in the direction of 2.0 TSI (162kW).

I went for testing and asked a dealer (who I know personally) several stupid questions about different engines. First engine I tested was 280hp and it was fun. It didnt feel very "smooth" but I didnt expect it anyways. Dealer recomended to test 1.4 (150hp) DSG engine next and I was body surprised. When driving it I understood that it was exactly as capable as my MK2 1,8 TSI superb had been (I owned it before 508). The torgue was exactly the same (250Nm) but 1,4 had 8kW less. But then again MK3 Superb is lighter than MK2. And 1,4 is soooo much smoother that 2,0TSI. 

I also looked at 1,8 TSI but when I understood that with DSG it only has 250Nm (same as 1,4) it was out for me. 2,0TSI (162kW) is the same engine as 280hp and as 80% of the time I drive in town, the fuel consumption of 2,0TSI was just too high for me.

I dive a lot with a full load + I have about 80kg of sound deadening materials "burried" in my car and the 1,4TSI engine works just fine. You have to know how to drive it though. Gear shifting paddles will help greatly and also to understand how gearbox works in Sport mode. 

My main concerne with 1,4TSI was that the engine itself is very light. I do have 235 tyres but every time I wanted to make any faster start from a traffic light, they spinned like crazy and nothing hapened. Sound deadening helped to make the front side of the car heavier and "the spinning problem" is now less noticable. I know that this spinning problem was mainly in my head. Mainly because 508 GT had very heavy engine and I was just used to it. 

• Like 1