Engine noise/rattle between 2/2.5 rpm

Not sure if this is a standard 'feature' or not but sometimes when accelerating I get a strange rattle when accelerating between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm. Kind of as if something is a little loose in the engine. But sometimes it doesn't happen.

I'll try get a video of the sound to see if other have it or not.

It's a TDI vRS.

Does it sound like warbling or light knocking? Mine is petrol and experience something similar, the only thing that I can compare it to was a worn out engine mount noise on my previous car. It make the car's drivetrain felt looser.

Doesn't sound like a fuel line rattle, fuel line's noise is higher frequency.

My guess is either one of the mount (engine, transmission, torque arm, etc) is getting worn down or the actual transmission itself.

Mine is the petrol model Vrs and I get the fuel line rattle at just over 2000rpm. 

Sounds like it comes from under the drivers seat when it happens. 

Depending on the exact sound, this could be either the fuel line issue mentioned above (fixed for me with foam under warranty) OR just a characteristic of the engine  (I believe it might be waste gate rattle and is common to the Golf GTI and others)  OR it might be just your SoundAktor over-vibrating or even slightly out of whack. Does the noise persist at the same volume if you put the engine sound to "eco"?

While the car is stationary, depress the accelerator and hold the revs at the point the rattle comes in. Although it could be something other than the fuel line, having the car at a standstill might help isolate the issue. I was able to do this with my fuel line rattle and it eventually demonstrated to the dealership that this was the issue they were looking for. No problems since!

4 hours ago, Isocrem said:

While the car is stationary, depress the accelerator and hold the revs at the point the rattle comes in. Although it could be something other than the fuel line, having the car at a standstill might help isolate the issue. I was able to do this with my fuel line rattle and it eventually demonstrated to the dealership that this was the issue they were looking for. No problems since!

I can do this as well, but its very quite rattle when stationery plus you cant always hear it.

9 minutes ago, toni8b said:

I can do this as well, but its very quite rattle when stationery plus you cant always hear it.

My rattle was as noisy at a stand still as it was on the move, so very easy for me to hear. It's possible the issue presents itself differently in different cars. 

To be honest, I pretty much gave up on rattles in my car, there are just too many of them, although most of them quiet.. I guess I can live with that, but my next car in not going to be Octavia.

Was sorted today by dealer. They narrowed it down to a bracket on the air con tuning rubbing against the heat shield at certain engine speeds. All now sorted.