Diesel or Petrol

Do you think it's a bad idea to get a diesel vrs over a petrol one , considering bad press about diesel?

I noticed much more diesels for sale.

I'm considering changing my fabia vrs for an Octavia.

Just now, themanwithnoaim said:

Diesel is gonna be taxed outta existence over the next few years, together with all car manufacturers stopping any form of development I can't see it being a good choice.

Just saying

No it won't. It's press scare mongering. The government has already said it will protect diesel owners.

• Like 3

There are only talks of places like London putting a 'tax' on diesel cars. These will only be for older diesel cars though not new ones likes ours with regens. Also.. If driving in central London regularly.. why on earth byy a diesel in the first place.

Edited by shanemeh
  • Like 1

For the vast majority of us around the country that don't need to go into central London and carry out long motorways miles, diesels will be just fine and the correct choice :) 

• Like 2

If you are choosing a diesel as a"long term" car & are planning on keeping it for several years, I would recommend you buy one meeting Eu6 emissions standards (or at least Eu5+).

For diesel Eu6 was the first regulation that put big réductions on NOx emissions & for example the new proposed London emissions zone does not penalise Eu6 diesels heavily, unlike Eu5 and earlier.

I'm sure there will also be a "buy back" incentive scheme for diesels older that Eu5 in the near future to encourage people into newer cars.

However, in the end more than 50% of cars on the roads are diesel in Europe (95% of trucks & vans) so no government can just ban diesels.

Unless you do short trip & limited mileage, diesel is still the only economic solution for high mileage drivers.

Diesel will be around for quite a few years yet...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

There is another reason, you're limited to 184 ponies.....

I've owned both petrol and diesel. I cannot notice a difference on a normal commute. 

If you are doing 20/30+ motorway miles or more on a commute then diesel is the best option. 

If you are going 4 miles into town then get petrol. 

Edited by shanemeh
  • Like 1

184hp with a diesel is not too much of a pain where the NSL is 60 mph and motorways is 70mph.

220ps from a petrol engine is not really going to get you from A to B any quicker, maybe not even traffic light to traffic light,

maybe the 220ps gets you from one filling station to the next quicker it depends on how or where you drive.

• Like 2

I'd agree for 7000miles a year, petrol seems the more sensible option & is also perhaps more future proof than the diesel.

Definitely petrol at that mileage. I run mine at over double that mileage and the fuel costs aren't horrendous. Tyres, servicing etc. Costs are the same and the difference in tax and insurance aren't game changers. If buying used, the petrols tend to be a little cheaper (like for like) as the diesels seem to hold their value better too.

4 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

But you are not the OP, so maybe ask about his needs, he does not say in his question.

The OP's first two words of his first post "Do you" hence, he asked for an opinion & I gave mine just, because you don't agree with it doesn't mean its wrong its just mine.

At 7,000 miles p.a. diesel isn't going to be any cheaper to run considering the extra costs of running a diesel. Can't argue with math....

I do not disagree with your opinion just questioned that bit about 'limited to 184 ponies' really when you had no more info on his usage.

?

Are all manufacturers stopping any form of development of diesels or is that a bit of a generalisation?

Like the taxing out of existence in the next few years!

Once i read only 7,000 miles i also thought a petrol might be better.

Edited by Awayoffski

4 hours ago, shanemeh said:

There are only talks of places like London putting a 'tax' on diesel cars. 

Thought I heard Southampton was considering it to ? Dunno maybe I got that bit wrong, come along to one of the South East Central Briskoda meets & we can chat about it, a few of the guys are from Southampton.

Its held first tuesday of the month at the Seven Stars on the A272 just outside Petersfield, friendly bunch with a bit of banter but, good pub grub & the classic Triumph club meets the same night.

20 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

I do not disagree with your opinion just questioned that bit about 'limited to 184 ponies' really when you had no more info on his usage.

?

Are all manufacturers stopping any form of development of diesels or is that a bit of a generalisation?

Like the taxing out of existence in the next few years!

Once i read only 7,000 miles i also thought a petrol might be better.

Just my opinion on the ponies limit.

All car manufacturers (toyota stopped nearly 3 years ago) have stopped diesel engine development obviously, some of the truck companies will continue but, even new buses now are diesel/electric hybrids. One of the guys at the South East Central meets drive one in Reading, he's very impressed with them.

As for taxing outta existence, some will love their diesels & pay whatever its costs to keep them however, I've never known a Chancellor miss an opportunity to raise taxes if he can hide the real reason.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing diesel charges in a fair few cities over the coming years.

As has been said though, it most likely won't affect anything euro6 compliant, so I wouldn't let that influence your decision. Mileage and type of journies should be the only consideration really.

For what it's worth I do around 15k miles and bought a petrol (230). I get roughly 34mpg average, which from what I gather isn't significantly less than the 184tdi engine. My previous diesel was averaging 39-40mpg on the same journies.

I personally find driving a petrol a lot more enjoyable, but that's just my preference.

Both are more "warm" than hot hatches, even flat out the 230 doesn't feel all that rapid, so a remap will be coming this year for mine.