MK1 VRS a good choice?

Hi all,

Im sure this has probably been asked before but anyway...

I Have recently sold my mkII Fabia VRS as am now only doing about 2-3,000 miles a year as I am no longer commuting due to a new job very close to home.

So now I want something 'cheaper' that's still fun to drive. I have seen plenty of MkI  VRS' for sale under £2,000.

Looking at petrol, what's considered 'high mileage' for a mk1 petrol? I'm not really too concerned as I will be doing so few miles in it anyway will pretty much just be for shopping and weekend trips away... if i can get 10,000 miles out of one that should last me about 3 years.... what are the usual failures that i should be watching for? What should have been replaced and at what mileage etc?

thanks in advance

+1 on the buying guide. As an example mine is a daily driver and has just clicked over 160k miles. Service history is a must, especially the cam belt/water pump, personally I would avoid a modified example unless you take someone with you who knows them well enough to assess the mods done (or it's from another member). Suspension will probably be tired now on any of the mk1's, unless it has been changed. Aftermarket solutions are available, although OE shocks are surprisingly cheap - roughly £37 each plus VAT from TPS.

+2, along with history on oil and cambelt and water pump changes, top things that I would look for:

Has the oil pick up in the sump been changed or cleaned at some point in its life?

Do the rear brake calipers work properly? Rusting and uneven wear on discs can be a sign.

Does the central locking work as intended, including can the petrol pump be heard on opening the driver's door,  does the lights on buzzer sound when opening the driver's door with the lights on but no ignition and does the dash display door open icon appropriately?

Are the sill jacking point behind the front wheels in reasonable condition?

Has the car been subject to a service campaign for replacement coil packs.

Finally lots of gunk and oil around the front of the engine probably indicates split breather pipes but if you can tackle mechanics yourself this is not expensive to fix.

Bought mine in 2006, still going strong.

One of the most reliable cars i've ever bought. Regular oil / filter changes, and servicing, yes you can get a few niggles, central locking etc but nothing that cant be fixed.

The bottom line is..... if you look after it it will look after you.

Hi guys thanks for the help.

Ive bought a Silver 55 plate 1.8t with 144k on the clock for £1,100. Which I think is a bargin.

Has had water pump and timing belt done 38k ago. FSH been serviced every 10k without fail.

He has every MOT recipt and has just had fresh MOT with no advisories.

Picking it up today. 

• Like 2

Done 100 miles in it today.

Handles much better than the fabia and feels faster too.

Passenger door has a sticky lock but hear its a common problem. Im mechanically minded so should be easy enough.

20170417_202416.jpg

Climate control and rear wiper work. Not sure on the changer I havent owned a CD for about 7 years :D

On that note whats the deal with changing out the head unit? Would like Bluetooth if possible.

Edited by Xzylo

Head unit is easy as pie. You'll need some radio keys for it but other than that just make sure you get the right wiring harness and it's easy, space behind is a bit of an issue though unless you cut out the bar in behind (you'll know it when you see it).

Welcome to #teamsilver - looks loverly :)

It's only 5 torx screws to remove the glovebox and I found it makes replacing the stereo a bit easier.

Where in Herts are you? I'm over this way quite a bit - keep an eye out for my 165k mile 02 plate silver one!