New škoda karoq

Oykkh

1 hour ago, trambly71 said:

Exactly - no Suzuki on my list and their bikes wouldn't be either.  No sure who would buy their uninteresting vehicles?

Suzuki make decent cars that win awards quite regularly. 

Some are a little dull but others like the new Ignis and Swift are really fun looking things and the Vitara has a lot of the characteristics that people raved about in the Yeti. 

• Like 1

Total Shock News.

What Car gave a What Car Car of the Year award to something actually on sale and that people can buy and have bought

which is rather different from when they are from Skoda, Seat, VW or Audi & only been road  tested by road tester  / journalists and not even with customers yet.

http://whatcar.com/awards/best-small-suv/2017-winner/suzuki-vitara 

Yes.

http://whatcar.com/awards/car-of-the-year 

The All New 3rd Generation Fabia was the Overall winner as well when it was not even delivered to any Customers but in time for Skoda to include in the advertising 'What Car Car of the Year 2015'.

You get this stuff which can be taken with a pinch of salt when the likes of What Car / Autocar are owned by media groups that are so involved with Manufacturers like Haymarket Media Group which has the VW Group as a customer / client and Haymarket Media Group are involved in vehicle launches.

Note how it is a particular engine that has them making it their What Car of the year.

others might be a bit 'rough', and reliability of them is still not proven, then even though a year later there were 'issues', 

it gets another award from them.

1.4TDI Diesel Engines have become subject to Service Campaigns for Water Pump failures as an example, 'Wrong Coolant'!

you will search far and wide and likely not find that mentioned in What Car / Autocar.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Agree that Car of the Year awards are rubbish - I'll leave you to like Suzuki products....

Anyway we are getting off the subject of the new Skoda Karoq and all that it might bring to the Skoda owners.......    

The OT was kind of on topic seeing as it turned to what Skoda was not bringing so that some can or will not become owners.

Personally i am waiting for the Jimny replacement to buy another keeper as my oldest one is now 18 years old and being retired as a daily driver.

First i want to see what the SEAT Arona has to offer as that size would suit me.

The Vitara is not my cup of tea, and the discussion here just turned to alternative petrol automatic awd vehicles as Skoda are not bringing out a 1.5TSI model at launch.

Hungarian people seem to think it funny that people want to buy Suzuki's that are built in Hungary so you seem to be of a similar opinion to them.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

On 9/20/2017 at 19:38, TheWanderer said:

Oh well that's another possible sale that they've lost.

No petrol DSG 4x4, then I'm not interested. 

e5483ceb880644a0a6b6f1f8f7dd88d2a58a28c4

On 9/21/2017 at 04:07, trambly71 said:

I'll be out too.....

What are they playing at?  Have they not seen the news about declining diesel sales?   I'm not buying into a fuel type that will see me penalised or end up with high DPF or injector bills.

I sent an email to Skoda to confirm this issue.. 

On 9/21/2017 at 04:20, trambly71 said:

Just looked at the Karoq configuarator  on the German Skoda website and they also do not offer a 4wd DSG petrol version.  WTF....???

I'll just have to tell the sales person who calls that the Karoq is off the menu. Wasted opportunity by Skoda..

On 9/21/2017 at 08:00, ernieb said:

Have to agree that our next car would not be a diesel.  I does seem to be a very strange place that Skoda are living in right now.  Our current diesel powered Yeti is only a year old, but recognise that it's resale value is likely to poor, so will be prepared to hold onto it longer than our normal 3 year term.  I'd rather be looking at a PHEV or Hybrid but again the Skoda offering is penciled in at 2020 for the Vision e, and i'm not so sure I'd want to buy something with so little history of manufacture.  I know it will be  common VW power plant but VW seem to be so far behind the curve with these developments anyway.

It's a confusing market right now and i'm glad i don't have to make any buying choices in the next year or so.  

Me too.   :sadsmile:

We want a 4x4 PETROL engine in AUTO.

Kitten and I WILL NOT be having a diesel engine, thats why we have chucked away glossy sales brochures from Volvo, Audi, BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar, Porsche, Mazda, Hyundai, Peugeot, Citroen, Mitsubishi, Honda, Alfa Romeo, Jeep, Ford, Vauxhall and Nissan

The car industry must stop lying to us and forcing diesel engines upon us, we DO NOT WANT THEM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Macdemon said:

Me too.   :sadsmile:

We want a 4x4 PETROL engine in AUTO.

Kitten and I WILL NOT be having a diesel engine, thats why we have chucked away glossy sales brochures from Volvo, Audi, BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar, Porsche, Mazda, Hyundai, Peugeot, Citroen, Mitsubishi, Honda, Alfa Romeo, Jeep, Ford, Vauxhall and Nissan

Cannot vouch for all the manufacturers you have listed (except Mazda, Citroën & Peugeot which don't) but Volvo, Honda and LR all offer petrol 4x4 automatics. 

And don't forget the fantastic Suzuki Vitara 1.4S! Brrmm! Brrmm! 

3 minutes ago, Fin69 said:

Cannot vouch for all the manufacturers you have listed (except Mazda, Citroën & Peugeot which don't) but Volvo, Honda and LR all offer petrol 4x4 automatics. 

Yeah, all overpriced compared to the Kodiaq.

32 minutes ago, Macdemon said:

Yeah, all overpriced compared to the Kodiaq.

How much would you save buying a petrol automatic 4x4 Škoda Kodiaq, over a Honda CRV petrol automatic 4x4? 

Or a Volvo XC40 petrol automatic 4x4?

Precisely.

So how can they be regarded as over priced when you cannot compare like for like? 

At least you can purchase the engine and gearbox combination you want from Škodas competitors. 

Well for me the Skoda Karoq ticked the boxes, equipment choice, looks (acceptable), space, modern tech and overall price.  None of the competitors mentioned offered the price versus spec that the Karoq promised.    

EXCEPT the bombshell - no petrol, auto 4wd.....    Skoda were contacted but no reply back from them.  Clearly they don't give a hoot.....  Anyone been to the sales room to judge reaction to the question?

Looked at those other examples quoted, Land Rover (QC a bit iffy), Volvo (liked the XC60 but here in France they only offer a diesel) - overall they are much more pricey when compared like for like.  The Honda CRV received generally bad reviews from several sites - no doubt well built though.

Just for curiosity and for fairness I had a look at the Suzuki Vitara that Fin69 seems to like - lit looked very 1990's agricultural, especially the interior , so that is off my search list. 

It is curious how the 1.5 or 2.0 TSi petrol DSG 4x4 is missing off the list of engines. 

Going by what the Kodiaq is offering now (1.4 and 2.0 TSi) you want to hope that they will be added in the future to the Karoq range of engines... maybe week 22?

I would certainly be in the market for the 1.5 petrol DSG 4x4!

I'm one of those stupid people who bought a new diesel and do less than 10k. miles a year. I don't even have a caravan, whatever was I thinking! :)

But next car will be a petrol though (due to fully retiring, even less miles and the increasing complexity of diesels/potential issues) and so I'm pleased to see that they are doing a reasonably sized petrol version.

If they had stuck with a 1.2 for the lesser models, like with the Yeti, then I would have been looking elsewhere. A 1.5 TSI with front wheel drive will suit my needs nicely. Though a 2.0 would be even better! 

• Like 1

I'm thinking along similar lines. I'll change my car next year. I've toyed with the idea of an end-of-line bargain Yeti but the 1.2 petrol engine is not quite powerful enough for me, despite the attractive range of extras on the SE Drive offer. In an ideal world I'd like a 4x4 1.5 petrol DSG but I'd settle for front wheel drive.  I'm so used to using a DSG box that this is a bigger priority than 4x4. I figure that, with the electronic gizmos on todays new cars, apart from seriously bad weather, a two wheel drive car will be fine. 

I can understand why 4x4 is useful for towing a caravan but I can't understand why so many want 4x4, particularly with a relatively small petrol engine?

Most of the time you are lugging around all the extra weight and the 4x4 rarely if ever engages. And in bad weather/winter the new cross-climate etc. tyres give you all the grip that is required.

If I was towing a caravan I'd go for a more powerful diesel even if I did relatively low mileage.

No doubt I shall be shot down! :) 

39 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

I can understand why 4x4 is useful for towing a caravan but I can't understand why so many want 4x4, particularly with a relatively small petrol engine?

Most of the time you are lugging around all the extra weight and the 4x4 rarely if ever engages. And in bad weather/winter the new cross-climate etc. tyres give you all the grip that is required.

If I was towing a caravan I'd go for a more powerful diesel even if I did relatively low mileage.

No doubt I shall be shot down! :) 

I shan't shoot you down...

I actually like the way a big capacity diesel runs and experience tells me that such an arrangement in a relatively 'large' car is generally more efficient in day-to-day use than a small capacity engine in the same car.

As to 4x4 - the every day sure-footedness helps in any weather but the decision for me is sealed by living on the edge of the Peak District, with family members requiring regular hospital visits and regular bad weather...

Never previously thought of 4WD as essential, but having lived with it for the last 7 years, I don't think I could do without it now. 

Due to being surrounded by farmland, the roads are often covered in slurry and other slippery stuff. There is also a massive house building programme going  on around me, and will do so far into the 2030's, so again the roads are covered in slippery mud and building detritus. The roads are also prone to streams of water running down them which has caught a few drivers out. 

Not tried cross climate tyres so cannot comment on then, but the temperature around me rarely rises above 7°c for most of the year (Oct-Apr/May), so prefer to rely on the tried and tested surefootedness of cold weather tyres during this period. 

One unintended benefit of 4WD is due to the poor state of the carpark in my local country park , in winter, or wet weather, I practically get the place to myself as very few use it for fear of getting stuck. 

Good Lord!

The difference a rural upbringing makes, to the "perceived" need for 4WD.

Winter tyres on a RWD/FWD trumps 4WD on so-so tyres ESPECIALLY in respect of steering and braking.

Then ensuring one parks on a "downwith" for foolproof starts, no worries.

From someone who crossed a rural mountain road in snow, without fuss, in an ould Galaxy on hum-drum tyres, following after a Discovery "driver", who was all over the place and afterwards commented about how treacherous the road conditions were.

Despite his 4WD  advantage.

cheers

marcusthehat

I've never had or felt the need for 4x4 but for you guys I can certainly see the benefits.

As for diesels that's why I bought one again and never mind whether it made most financial sense or not, it's not always about that.

I've had a number of them over the years and will really miss having one. Never thought I'd be saying that given my view and probably most folks when diesels started to be used in private cars. Horrible, slow, smelly things! 

But for the Yeti replacement my circumstances etc. mean that the pendulum will be definitely swinging towards petrol.

Edit: my response is a bit out of sequence now having been interrupted by me tea! :)

Edited by VAGCF

48 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

Or you could buy a 4WD with decent tyres....

I'm not sure why the comparison is always 2WD with winter tyres vs 4WD with ditchfinders?

Take your point and was going to mention that.

I suppose it's just to illustrate that you don't have to have 4x4 to give good grip and safety in tricky conditions despite what many think. 

Edited by VAGCF

4 hours ago, marcusthehat said:

Good Lord!

The difference a rural upbringing makes, to the "perceived" need for 4WD.

Winter tyres on a RWD/FWD trumps 4WD on so-so tyres ESPECIALLY in respect of steering and braking.

Then ensuring one parks on a "downwith" for foolproof starts, no worries.

From someone who crossed a rural mountain road in snow, without fuss, in an ould Galaxy on hum-drum tyres, following after a Discovery "driver", who was all over the place and afterwards commented about how treacherous the road conditions were.

Despite his 4WD  advantage.

cheers

marcusthehat

Good Lord!!!

some of us have 4x4 AND decent tyres don't you know!

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1