Exhaust Questions

Hello everyone,

Sorry for writing on here a lot recently, but I'm just curious as to what the underside of a Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo looks like. 

Can anyone provide me with a picture or tell me whether or not removing the stock silencer/back box is easy or does it require cutting? I'm wanting to purchase a simple back box like a Cherry Bomb to provide a more satisfying sound than the stock sound. 

Thanks!

Briskoda-Lemto-Footer-2.png

Mate I'm not be funny but if you bothered to look at the links I put yesterday and looked at super sprints web page (which was the first one ) you will see that the rear bumper does need cutting to fit i can presume most manufacturers will be the same 

You seem to keep going over the same topics over and over again 

I get it your excited for your soon to be new vehicle 

Given there is no high performance fabia this time and as you say you like to modify your cars i suspect the wealth of tacky mods for cheap thankfully appears to barren thus far 

You might want to think about another marque 

Citroen used to do a saxo that sounds like it might be up your street 

Don't think anyone on here has an exhaust (i could be wrong ) as most are just enjoying the car the Skoda intended 

Sorry if i offended you 

But please get the fabia first and see how she is before mods You might have a Eureka moment and realise life is not all coilovers and loud exhausts but smooth and tranquil 

12 minutes ago, malcster said:

Mate I'm not be funny but if you bothered to look at the links I put yesterday and looked at super sprints web page (which was the first one ) you will see that the rear bumper does need cutting to fit i can presume most manufacturers will be the same 

You seem to keep going over the same topics over and over again 

I get it your excited for your soon to be new vehicle 

Given there is no high performance fabia this time and as you say you like to modify your cars i suspect the wealth of tacky mods for cheap thankfully appears to barren thus far 

You might want to think about another marque 

Citroen used to do a saxo that sounds like it might be up your street 

Don't think anyone on here has an exhaust (i could be wrong ) as most are just enjoying the car the Skoda intended 

Sorry if i offended you 

But please get the fabia first and see how she is before mods You might have a Eureka moment and realise life is not all coilovers and loud exhausts but smooth and tranquil 

You're perfectly entitled to your own opinion, but I'd rather have a nice sounding exhaust. Ride comfort isn't a big thing for me, I think people make too big of a deal of it. I've had a 2002 VW Polo for over a year which had a nice exhaust, not too loud, just enough to sound beefier. The ride comfort in it was good enough for me, so I'm presuming it will be better in a new car. 

You seem extremely patronising and I feel like you think your way is the only way it should be done. "Citroen used to do a Saxo that sounds like it might be up your street". I chose a Skoda Monte Carlo because it's a very nice car, however, as is the downside to various stock vehicles, they don't provide a nice sounding exhaust.

Once again, I never said at any time that I wanted to improve the performance of the vehicle, I merely wanted aesthetics. As I've said multiple times, I prefer to drive a car that provides a nice sound. I don't know why It's just my personal preference; maybe it's because I find accelerating and hearing some sort of decent feedback extremely satisfying. 

As for "going over the same topics over and over again", I only start new topics because it will be fresh. 

It's quite clear me and you have differing opinions in regards to how we like our cars, so I think we'll terminate our contact from here on out as you, as I said, show your opinion in a very patronising way which is extremely disrespectful. 

I appreciate your input thus far nonetheless. 

• Like 1

Glad to have been of service :biggrin:

Ps it's an open forum so you can't really terminate contact but i will avoid contributing on your threads so no need to worry there mate 

Oh and starting new topics to keep them fresh as you say is probably classed as spamming but that's not for me to decide 

Enjoy the car mate what ever you decide on doing with it they are not perfect but a big step up from earlier fabia models 

Edited by malcster
  • Like 1

The idea of the forum is to play nicely and respect each others opinions, as per the rules we do not tolerate personal attacks.

I would decide on what you want to get from your posts, maybe even try to get all your questions in one post rather than several with slight variance.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and differences cause good discussions (this is not an excuse to criticise).

Enjoy the forum for what it's intended.

10 minutes ago, Welsh_kai_boy said:

The idea of the forum is to play nicely and respect each others opinions, as per the rules we do not tolerate personal attacks.

I would decide on what you want to get from your posts, maybe even try to get all your questions in one post rather than several with slight variance.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and differences cause good discussions (this is not an excuse to criticise).

Enjoy the forum for what it's intended.

I respect his opinion, the issue I have is that he clearly doesn't respect mine. That is precisely why I said we should probably terminate contact to avoid arguments.

I also appreciate posting various topics can be seen as spam, I have never really used forums before so I didn't know that wasn't allowed. I just assumed spamming would be if someone was posting multiple times in a short space of time.

I would just like to be able to ask questions without being patronised and being made to feel like I'm some sort of child. 

This forum seems great, I intend to keep on using it, but this has definitely made me not want to use it as much as I had hoped.

Thanks.

As Malcster said, he won't bother you on your posts from now on, its not his nature

As your new to forums, try to make use of the search bar in the top right corner, and use more broader terms which gets more results than trying to be ultra specific. In most cases, the answers you seek have been covered before.

I know of one person with a MK3 Fabia who had a Powerflow back box fitted, which involved trimming the bumper, and one that had a tail pipe extension without cutting the bumper (which in my opinion looked horrendous)

Again (In my opinion) you need to cut a section out for an exhaust to look anything like decent, as without it it just looks far too low.

I have been toying with the idea of a twin stainless back box myself, as I hate the new modern approach of a downwards firing pea shooter on anything less than the sportiest models.

Good luck with your choice and let us know how you get on (including pics)

Cheers

Damo

• Like 3

Just now, Damo said:

As Malcster said, he won't bother you on your posts from now on, its not his nature

As your new to forums, try to make use of the search bar in the top right corner, and use more broader terms which gets more results than trying to be ultra specific. In most cases, the answers you seek have been covered before.

I know of one person with a MK3 Fabia who had a Powerflow back box fitted, which involved trimming the bumper, and one that had a tail pipe extension without cutting the bumper (which in my opinion looked horrendous)

Again (In my opinion) you need to cut a section out for an exhaust to look anything like decent, as without it it just looks far too low.

I have been toying with the idea of a twin stainless back box myself, as I hate the new modern approach of a downwards firing pea shooter on anything less than the sportiest models.

Good luck with your choice and let us know how you get on (including pics)

Cheers

Damo

I appreciate your reply, it's much more informative and less patronising. 

I totally agree. I hate the use of 'pea shooter' exhausts, especially on sportier cars like the Monte Carlo. 

Currently, I think I'm going to wait and see how much the stock exhaust pleases me (I'm really hoping it does). 

If it doesn't and I cannot remove the stock exhaust without cutting then I think I'll just have to suck it up and enjoy my car as is. 

Thank you once again Damo.

Kind regards

Lemto

If its just noise your after, don't rule out a nice induction kit

I had a BMC CDA on a Lupo Gti I once owned, and the noise it made was on par with any exhaust (In the cabin noise, not outside)

It growled like a tiger! very addictive

The down side was my MPG went down massively, as I drove everywhere leaving the revs high just to hear it :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Damo said:

If its just noise your after, don't rule out a nice induction kit

I had a BMC CDA on a Lupo Gti I once owned, and the noise it made was on par with any exhaust (In the cabin noise, not outside)

It growled like a tiger! very addictive

The down side was my MPG went down massively, as I drove everywhere leaving the revs high just to hear it :D

I'll definitely take a look into that Damo, thank you very much. This is exactly what I wanted, not only some help but maybe some alternatives.

Although the MPG change would be an issue for some people, I don't mind! 

I'm going to look into induction kits right now, could you give me a quick price estimate just to see if I can afford it :D

I was only joking about the MPG going down

It only went down because I used to give it more revs just to hear the sound :D

In normal driving, an induction kit doesn't change the MPG by hardly anything 

I am a bit of a modifying addict Im afraid, and most with MK3 Fabia's aren't... so up to now there isn't as much about this as in other model forums

Interested to hear how you proceed

Keep us informed

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Damo said:

I was only joking about the MPG going down

It only went down because I used to give it more revs just to hear the sound :D

In normal driving, an induction kit doesn't change the MPG by hardly anything 

I am a bit of a modifying addict Im afraid, and most with MK3 Fabia's aren't... so up to now there isn't as much about this as in other model forums

Interested to hear how you proceed

Keep us informed

Oh, my bad! 

We have something in common, I think I like it so much because it makes me feel as if the car is mine (strange, but that's me!). 

I'll definitely keep you posted Damo.

Thanks again

15 minutes ago, Lemto said:

I think I like it so much because it makes me feel as if the car is mine (strange, but that's me!). 

That's what modifying should be... making it your own and not following what everyone else does!

Which is also the reason its so subjective.

One mans meat is another mans poison as they say

• Like 1

Lemto, just a wee opinion from me, and that is about 'Sportier cars like the Monte Carlo'.

You are getting 90ps or 110ps, so Sporty Looks and Sporty Looking Bits, just not even a Warm Hatch.

Noise suits some but maybe more go and less show would be worth the bother.

• Like 1

I've been reading this thread with interest. I have been driving the 110 BHP DSG Estate for two years now and I guess the 90 BHP Tsi engine is very similar in its behaviour and sound. I really enjoy the way this engine can be driven in quiet mode: keep revs below 2000, or noisy mode: 2000 rpm to red line. Inside the cab, in quiet mode, it is near silent up to about 40 mph to the extent that I have never had a car before where so many people have walked out in front of me when I am travelling slowly, for example in supermarket car parks. It is a very quiet engine, if you leave the car in tickover and get out to, say, post a letter, it is as good as silent from the outside. However, if you push the revs above 2000, the turbo comes alive and the valves open fully and the engine crackles with energy. But of course I have never been able to hear what it sounds like outside the car. I suggest that you try the experience before investing in a loud pipe. Sometimes I think it is too quiet where there are distracted people around or especially people with music players in their ears. Whatever, on a 5 hour journey, the refinement can be appreciated.

As for the suspension, given an averagely smooth road, I think the suspension copes very well. It is supple and compliant but stiffens up on bends and keeps the car nicely flat. The car corners nicely and gives the driver confidence. It is not so good on bumpy roads and can really jump about and sway. You tend to look out for bad patches and do your best to avoid them if possible.

I hope you enjoy your car as much as I do, good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

Lemto, just a wee opinion from me, and that is about 'Sportier cars like the Monte Carlo'.

You are getting 90ps or 110ps, so Sporty Looks and Sporty Looking Bits, just not even a Warm Hatch.

Noise suits some but maybe more go and less show would be worth the bother.

I appreciate your input, however, it confused me slightly. Can you tell me what you meant by this: "You are getting 90ps or 110ps, so Sporty Looks and Sporty Looking Bits, just not even a Warm Hatch." I'm sorry if it's clear, for some reason it is confusing to me. 

I honestly would just like a nice sound, for example, my Aunt has a Skoda Fabia Colour Edition. When the engine is on and you're standing outside it, it sounds really machine-like and not what I'd expect to hear. Obviously, you aren't going to hear an amazingly raspy, growling engine but this is why I want to improve that. Who knows, I may end up not modifying the car at all because it isn't easy to do so or I may even like the sound of the Monte Carlo. 

I'll definitely keep you all posted when I get the car, thanks again for that Awayoffski! 

2 hours ago, SoupDragon said:

I've been reading this thread with interest. I have been driving the 110 BHP DSG Estate for two years now and I guess the 90 BHP Tsi engine is very similar in its behaviour and sound. I really enjoy the way this engine can be driven in quiet mode: keep revs below 2000, or noisy mode: 2000 rpm to red line. Inside the cab, in quiet mode, it is near silent up to about 40 mph to the extent that I have never had a car before where so many people have walked out in front of me when I am travelling slowly, for example in supermarket car parks. It is a very quiet engine, if you leave the car in tickover and get out to, say, post a letter, it is as good as silent from the outside. However, if you push the revs above 2000, the turbo comes alive and the valves open fully and the engine crackles with energy. But of course I have never been able to hear what it sounds like outside the car. I suggest that you try the experience before investing in a loud pipe. Sometimes I think it is too quiet where there are distracted people around or especially people with music players in their ears. Whatever, on a 5 hour journey, the refinement can be appreciated.

As for the suspension, given an averagely smooth road, I think the suspension copes very well. It is supple and compliant but stiffens up on bends and keeps the car nicely flat. The car corners nicely and gives the driver confidence. It is not so good on bumpy roads and can really jump about and sway. You tend to look out for bad patches and do your best to avoid them if possible.

I hope you enjoy your car as much as I do, good luck.

I'm glad this thread interests you SoupDragon. I'm glad you enjoy the car and quite frankly it doesn't surprise me that it's so quiet and tranquil. 

Although I can appreciate that's what some people solely want in a car (silence and comfort), I'm a young guy who likes comfort but I also want to be able to hear my car. Lots of folks on here are saying it isn't worth the hassle, I'd maybe take that and not bother doing anything but after having an aftermarket exhaust back box installed to my 2002 VW Polo, I know what it's like on a smaller car. I'm presuming lots of people think I'm wanting an insanely loud exhaust, that's completely wrong. The exhaust I have on my VW Polo produces a nice tone but it isn't so loud that it sounds like a Jet taking off.

As I said before, I'll keep you all posted on what the outcome is of my 'Journey to Exhaust/Modification on the Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo' haha. 

Thank you!

On 4/16/2017 at 16:03, Lemto said:

Hello everyone,

Sorry for writing on here a lot recently, but I'm just curious as to what the underside of a Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo looks like. 

Can anyone provide me with a picture or tell me whether or not removing the stock silencer/back box is easy or does it require cutting? I'm wanting to purchase a simple back box like a Cherry Bomb to provide a more satisfying sound than the stock sound. 

Thanks!

I',m in the same boat as you mate. I have had lots of cars (Saxo vtr, clio 182, RX8, FN2 type R)  in the past with exhaust's that wern't to over the top noisy but just made it sound a bit more sporty. Most people seem to think that is you change the exhaust all you want to do, is make the car as loud as possible. Which is not the case for most people. 

You might want to try and get info from the other forums, (Seat, and VW) as they have more people on them, that modify cars. 

Lots of people on here are very helpful, but lots just like to moan about to having one touch electric windows lol. 

• Like 1

Plenty on here modify cars, and not just wanting a bit of a parp out of the exhaust from some car with show and little go.

Plenty here even are daring and remove dealership stickers willy nilly.

• Like 1

On 16 April 2017 at 16:36, Lemto said:

You're perfectly entitled to your own opinion, but I'd rather have a nice sounding exhaust. Ride comfort isn't a big thing for me, I think people make too big of a deal of it. I've had a 2002 VW Polo for over a year which had a nice exhaust, not too loud, just enough to sound beefier. The ride comfort in it was good enough for me, so I'm presuming it will be better in a new car. 

You seem extremely patronising and I feel like you think your way is the only way it should be done. "Citroen used to do a Saxo that sounds like it might be up your street". I chose a Skoda Monte Carlo because it's a very nice car, however, as is the downside to various stock vehicles, they don't provide a nice sounding exhaust.

Once again, I never said at any time that I wanted to improve the performance of the vehicle, I merely wanted aesthetics. As I've said multiple times, I prefer to drive a car that provides a nice sound. I don't know why It's just my personal preference; maybe it's because I find accelerating and hearing some sort of decent feedback extremely satisfying. 

As for "going over the same topics over and over again", I only start new topics because it will be fresh. 

It's quite clear me and you have differing opinions in regards to how we like our cars, so I think we'll terminate our contact from here on out as you, as I said, show your opinion in a very patronising way which is extremely disrespectful. 

I appreciate your input thus far nonetheless. 

you could get a custom made one for the monte carlo ?

Changing the exhaust (back box) on a new car, hum?

I owned a VW Passat 4Motion with the silky smooth Audi 2.8V6 30V 193PS plus lots of torque in it from new back in May/June 2000 until July 2013, and it annoyed me that that car was shipped out of the factory with concealed exhausts - but the exhausts lasted the life of that car, so never got replaced/repaired using some proper bits that would mean that I ended up with an exposed exhaust at both sides of the rear of that car - also annoyed me that I could not get proper looking/working front grill mounted fog lights to improve its look!

I seem to be looking after my older daughter's Seat Ibiza 1.4 16V SC and yes that car with that engine gets a hidden exhaust - but it is just my temporary runabout - well has been for maybe 4 years off and on!

I replaced my old VW Passat 4Motion with a secondhand Audi S4 3.0TFSI (supercharger thing) and I must confess that one thing that annoyed me about the rear of these "S" series of cars was the fitting of twin twin exhausts - now when the earlier model had a V8 engine fair enough, and the S3 has a 4 cylinder engine, but the B8 version of the S4 has a V6 - and still got twin twin exhaust outlets! So, when a used one turned up in an acceptable colour and condition and mileage, with a Miltek exhaust fitted from new, with large single oval outlets on each side, that car looked good - and I bought it.

If none of the above happened or was not true, I would also say that you are off your head replacing that exhaust on a new car, it is what I'm honestly thinking, but, I seem to be carrying some baggage on that subject!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

Changing the exhaust (back box) on a new car, hum?

I owned a VW Passat 4Motion with the silky smooth Audi 2.8V6 30V 193PS plus lots of torque in it from new back in May/June 2000 until July 2013, and it annoyed me that that car was shipped out of the factory with concealed exhausts - but the exhausts lasted the life of that car, so never got replaced/repaired using some proper bits that would mean that I ended up with an exposed exhaust at both sides of the rear of that car - also annoyed me that I could not get proper looking/working front grill mounted fog lights to improve its look!

I seem to be looking after my older daughter's Seat Ibiza 1.4 16V SC and yes that car with that engine gets a hidden exhaust - but it is just my temporary runabout - well has been for maybe 4 years off and on!

I replaced my old VW Passat 4Motion with a secondhand Audi S4 3.0TFSI (supercharger thing) and I must confess that one thing that annoyed me about the rear of these "S" series of cars was the fitting of twin twin exhausts - now when the earlier model had a V8 engine fair enough, and the S3 has a 4 cylinder engine, but the B8 version of the S4 has a V6 - and still got twin twin exhaust outlets! So, when a used one turned up in an acceptable colour and condition and mileage, with a Miltek exhaust fitted from new, with large single oval outlets on each side, that car looked good - and I bought it.

If none of the above happened or was not true, I would also say that you are off your head replacing that exhaust on a new car, it is what I'm honestly thinking, but, I seem to be carrying some baggage on that subject!!

Thank you for your input rum4mo, I appreciate it. I probably won't put an exhaust on straight away, I'll give it time to see how I feel about it. The only way I'd put a new exhaust on would be if it didn't mean I needed to cut any of the existing exhaust off. 

You do not need to cut anything off. You remove the back box as you would if replacing like for like and fit what you choose.

What you might cut would be the rear rear exit area depending on what you want to see with a tail pipe.

Maybe best not too if you do not own the car or are buying it at the end of a contract.