Plastidip my chrome grill

Hi all

Just used Plastidip on the chrome part of the grill. Used this product just in case I don't like it black, as it can easily be taken off again. I think I like it. Used 5 coates to provide good cover and it really was quite easy. The only small problem was when I took the tape off again surrounding where I sprayed. There were a couple of small places on the edge of the sprayed area that came off with the tape, so they needed a bit of touching up with a small brush afterwards. I have heard that this product lasts, but just in case it does come off again and looks ruff, can you get from somewhere like TPS, a replacement of the chrome surround in black?    

20170417_123657.jpg

15 minutes ago, tubbytommy said:

Just get it painted profesionally.

It saves time ruining it with rattle cans

Thought about that, but unless the sprayers can do it the same half day or day I am off work, I can't with my job, not have transport. The only other option I thought about was to get a second hand grill and have that done. Then swap them over once painted. Mind you, the plastidip does look and feel quite good.

Just now, roaddetective said:

Thought about that, but unless the sprayers can do it the same half day or day I am off work, I can't with my job, not have transport. The only other option I thought about was to get a second hand grill and have that done. Then swap them over once painted. Mind you, the plastidip does look and feel quite good.

Thats what i did.

Buy a second handgrill put that on the car.

Get the original painted then swap them back over and sell the spare.

1 minute ago, tubbytommy said:

Thats what i did.

Buy a second handgrill put that on the car.

Get the original painted then swap them back over and sell the spare.

That is certainly something to bare in mind. At least I have plenty of time to find a second hand one. However, I do seem to remember reading somewhere that you can buy a matt black grill surround to replace the garish chrome one.  

Just now, roaddetective said:

That is certainly something to bare in mind. At least I have plenty of time to find a second hand one. However, I do seem to remember reading somewhere that you can buy a matt black grill surround to replace the garish chrome one.  

Possibly superskoda if you like being ripped of and dealing with the worst customer service in the world.

I went for bodycoloured as it suits the fl best although black is a big improvement.

Just now, tubbytommy said:

Possibly superskoda if you like being ripped of and dealing with the worst customer service in the world.

I went for bodycoloured as it suits the fl best although black is a big improvement.

Have you ever posted a picture of your grill bodycoloured and what colour is it. Was initially thinking about having mine sprayed Race Blue, but thought I would try it in black first. As I said, it can soon be pealed off again if I do not like it.

• 4 weeks later...

How about it now tubbytommy, a lot better me thinks. Got another chrome grill frame from Euro Car Parts and had it professionally painted. I have just fitted it now and it does look even better than all black. Although getting the grill off the car was easy, the frame surround did take some parting from the grill itself. At least the new frame clicked on easy. Must stop spending money on this car!

20170513_145341.jpg

52 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

How about it now tubbytommy, a lot better me thinks. Got another chrome grill frame from Euro Car Parts and had it professionally painted. I have just fitted it now and it does look even better than all black. Although getting the grill off the car was easy, the frame surround did take some parting from the grill itself. At least the new frame clicked on easy. Must stop spending money on this car!

20170513_145341.jpg

there is only one correct way to do the job,you have just done it.

looks much better.

4 hours ago, dilksie said:

That looks really good. Must get on and got mine done. How much was the grill from ECP if you don't mind me asking? 

Don't mind at all dilksie. They do 2 chrome frames. One described as patented and one as OEM. There is only 50 pence difference in price between them both, the patented one being that bit cheaper. I bought the OEM one at £49.99. Part number- 841780455. 

If you are keeping it black then get it vinyl wrapped. It won't chip like the paint will and with a bit of patience you can do the job in a couple of hours and for about £5. 

Mine has been wrapped in carbon weave vinyl for about 4 years now and it looks as good as new. 

IMG_5312.JPG

Edited by Metblackrat

10 minutes ago, Metblackrat said:

If you are keeping it black then get it vinyl wrapped. It won't chip like the paint will and with a bit of patience you can do the job in a couple of hours and for about £5. 

Mine has been wrapped in carbon weave vinyl for about 4 years now and it looks as good as new. 

IMG_5312.JPG

But the point of painting it is it looks oem and is the same colour as the car.

A wrapped grill may not chip but is obvious somebody has done a home made customising effort.

16 minutes ago, tubbytommy said:

But the point of painting it is it looks oem and is the same colour as the car.

A wrapped grill may not chip but is obvious somebody has done a home made customising effort.

He said he liked it black. I said if you are keeping it black then wrap it. Why spend a fortune painting it when you can get the same look for a lot less?

Neither I or the OP mentioned colour coding it in the original post. 

Edited by Metblackrat

Am I the only one who actually likes the chrome grill as it adds a bit of class to the car ... I'm still actually trying to get the cash to convert it to a full chrome grill by replacing the black insert blades