Revo and other maps

I was wondering,

does anyone know if software maps such as the Revotechnik and others are detectable when the vehicle is serviced by a main Skoda dealer?

If so will this be a void of any warranty etc?

Thanks

Yes, unfortunately.

Been discussed at length on here - essentially it will show up as a TD1 flag, which shows that the ECU has been modified.

However, they would only be able to be funny about a warranty claim if they can prove it's a direct result of the remap / modification. If for example your electric windows packed in, they couldn't choose to not do it under warranty.

If warranty is your concern, then you may want to go down the tuning box route - someone like DTUK.

A few years ago I chatted with Chris the owner of Regal in Southampton while having my Astra 1.9CDTI van remapped 

If I understood correctly he said that a knowleagable operator should be able to check the ECU log for the number of "flashes " and erase the log 

Not sure if this is possible on a VAG ECU 

But they can check how often the engine has been over boosted and use that as a starting point for further investigations i.e. take it for a drive and BOOT it 

Did 156,000mls in the Astra after remapping at 1,000mls never had any engine problems 

If I was buying again instead of contract hiring I would not hesitate to remap ( VW finance won't even let you fit a personalised number plate)

Don't know if any of the VAG tuners do it but Regal remaps were warrantied for any engine damage not covered by Vauxhall 

Thanks,

Yeah at the moment I've got the car on finance. Didn't know VW finance was so picky. I should probably have a read of the agreement.

I don't know about the other forms of finance but mine is effectively a long term hire car and I doubt Enterprise etc would not appreciate us modding one of their cars 

Although there was a guy on the Astra net who did and "forgot" to tell his company, posted pictures etc and then was surprised when he got fired :sadsmile::blush:

5 hours ago, Wileyk80 said:

A few years ago I chatted with Chris the owner of Regal in Southampton while having my Astra 1.9CDTI van remapped 

If I understood correctly he said that a knowleagable operator should be able to check the ECU log for the number of "flashes " and erase the log 

Not sure if this is possible on a VAG ECU 

But they can check how often the engine has been over boosted and use that as a starting point for further investigations i.e. take it for a drive and BOOT it 

Did 156,000mls in the Astra after remapping at 1,000mls never had any engine problems 

If I was buying again instead of contract hiring I would not hesitate to remap ( VW finance won't even let you fit a personalised number plate)

Don't know if any of the VAG tuners do it but Regal remaps were warrantied for any engine damage not covered by Vauxhall 

The reading and resetting of ECU flash counter values can be altered very easily these days, hence the reason why it's not used to clarify if the ECU has been manipulated by a third party or not.

3 hours ago, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

The reading and resetting of ECU flash counter values can be altered very easily these days, hence the reason why it's not used to clarify if the ECU has been manipulated by a third party or not.

What is used instead? The TD1 bit?

9 hours ago, mabnz said:

What is used instead? The TD1 bit?

I believe it is the map, or most likely the checksum and probably a number of other parameters that are compared to the ones that the VAG system thinks it should have from the last time it was seen. Any variation from what is stored on the VAG network will result in a TD1 flag. It is currently unlikely that anyone could restore an original map to withstand this comparison.

Edited by flybynite

Consensus seems to be that ECU remaps are detectable, but only if the Dealer specifically checks for them by connecting the car to VAG-COM. Dealers would only check this if the car had suffered an unexplained or suspicious mechanical fault, such as turbo, engine, gearbox or clutch failures.

Rule of thumb is that you lose the mechanical warranty as soon as the car is tuned. Sometimes it can be a mission getting VAG to honour a legitimate warranty claim. I wouldn't want to go there on a mapped car.

• Like 1

It's a specific alphanumeric data string that is checked and compared to what's stored on the VW AG servers - every time the vehicle is plugged into an ODIS machine it makes the comparison and only takes a matter of minutes to flag the TD1 status.

apparently the data string cannot be re-used or paused and is changed every time the ECU is flashed.