Any point "chipping" a diesel DSG?

The 1.6 diesel with just over 100,000 on, only toying with the notion since I hope to keep her another 6 or 7 years, I suppose since I have managed 100,000 with more "oomph" why bother now?

I am also aware of the potential torque limitations of the 2010  dry DSG unit.

mth

Maps are Marmite.

My own thoughts on them are leave well alone. When done properly there are performance and fuel economy benefits to be had.

But at what cost? Component life and reliability rank higher for me so I'm out!

Id go for a map from a reputable tuning company. They do put slightly more strain on the engine and components. But if you buy from a reputable tuner, they work with in the limits of the engine and drivetrain. My VRS CR170 is mapped and that has done 92000 miles. I mapped it at 85000 when I got the car and there have been no issues at all with it.

ok, thanks guys.

Interesting the quantumtunings "chip" for the 1.6TDI engine, as far as I could ascertain, offers one of their highest %age BHP/Torque increases, which actually makes me more cautious.

mth

Just IMO you would be best leaving it as is since you have a keeper, spend the money rather being sure the servicing is all done as required & buy fuel and enjoy the car as is.

? Did you have the DSG Service Campaign work done or was there already Mineral oil in the DSG?,

& are you just going to be giving 'The Fix' a miss?

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 2

(i) Yes I will prob leave the car unmodified.

(ii) I just spent a few hundred renewing struts/shocks/droplinks and upgrading the rear springs.(the car really needed the  upgraded rear springs from day 1 btw)

(iii) As far as I can remember the DSG service campaign work was done(a lotta DSG history with this car)

(iv)I will Def give "the Fix" a miss.

(v) I was always punctilious about servicing, and general maintenance(sans washing), which is prob why I have never had a car break down or strand me roadside, despite up to 250,000 miles on.

cheers

mth

• Like 1

I'd agree with awayoffski and your decision to leave it standard.

If you have done 100k in it without issue then the power must be fine. 

If you chip it and some problems begin you will never know if it's down to the chip. 

With your careful sounding maintenance and upkeep of the car I'd put the money aside for that esp if your planning on long term ownership and high miles.

Also with it being a modern diesel, and your intended mileage you may have to budget for possible egr and dpf maintenance as well as the other expected stuff.

i think you have made the correct choice. 

• Like 1

thanks again any and all,

My line-of-though was that instead of changing cars, I might be good to the one I have, in terms of a "wee tweek" or 2, now that I am retired, and not absolutly reliant on having a working a car every day, i.e. why I was considering chipping after 100,000 miles (And anyway the Steyr Puch van is a cheap 100% dependable backup vehicle)

& yes Mike,

at near-nuff 60, "ah hav larned" just, enough, to figure(from various posts on this forum) that if I were "chipping", or more correctly re-mapping, it would be a Shark product.

btw, when V.H. a local VW guru re-mapped the 1.9TDI in the Galaxy from the 110 to about 125/130, and some unspecified more torque, that re-mapped engine then did another 200,000 hard working miles with ZERO mechanical work, except routine servicing(and starter motors).

And was very easy on diesel.

mth

Edited by marcusthehat