New Dash Cam Install and the dreaded DAB

I wonder if I can plug any old USB into it without anything attached and see if it makes interference. Like I said even the process of trying to plug it in causes static. 

It would solve a lot of these problems if Skoda used a decent DAB aerial instead of a few bits of wire in the rear side window, I presume the Superb is similar to the Octavia in that respect.

Hi. Installer is coming back and installing cable on drivers side. How will he get the cable across the lane assist housing since the camera is on the left of it? 

@Gizmo68 did you say yours is run under the passenger side doors rather than above? Thanks

No my cable that connects both cameras run along the drivers side of the roof lining. 

I did run a 12v ignition fed supply to the rear of the car and that was routed alone the passenger side sill. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gizmo68 said:

No my cable that connects both cameras run along the drivers side of the roof lining. 

I did run a 12v ignition fed supply to the rear of the car and that was routed alone the passenger side sill. 

Thanks. Is your camera on the left or right of the lane assist? 

Hopefully this fixes it or there is nothing that can be done. 

1 minute ago, Gizmo68 said:

My camera is underneath the housing (I think lol)

Poops. Ok thanks. I don't want the camera to the right of my lane assist. I hope he can route it around. 

1 hour ago, tigermad said:

Hi. Installer is coming back and installing cable on drivers side. How will he get the cable across the lane assist housing since the camera is on the left of it? 

@Gizmo68 did you say yours is run under the passenger side doors rather than above? Thanks

Make sure he uses screened cable. He also must earth / ground one end of the screen, preferably the end closest to the supply but on a shortish run it doesn't really matter.

13 minutes ago, Bignij said:

Make sure he uses screened cable. He also must earth / ground one end of the screen, preferably the end closest to the supply but on a shortish run it doesn't really matter.

Grounded? It's a USB going from one dash cam to the other to join them together. Why does it have to be screened? It's the USB cable that came with the thinkware kit. 

The front camera is hardwired to the battery cell. The cell is then hardwired to the fuse box and grounded there. 

Edited by tigermad

1 hour ago, tigermad said:

Grounded? It's a USB going from one dash cam to the other to join them together. Why does it have to be screened? It's the USB cable that came with the thinkware kit. 

The front camera is hardwired to the battery cell. The cell is then hardwired to the fuse box and grounded there. 

It has to be screened to stop transients currents and voltages being induced onto the cable. If it wasn't running near any other cables then it shouldn't be an issue. It may already be screened. You just need to make sure. It's a big problem with signal cables and power conductors.

1 minute ago, Bignij said:

When I say grounded, I mean the screen of the screened cable as well as the component.

Sorry. Don't know much about cabling. How can you ground the USB cable?

USB cables are normally concentric cables. i.e one core inside an outer core separated by insulation. The outer core should be screened and grounded as a matter of course.  It's possibly the cables installed extra to the USB cable that's causing the issue.Unless the 0v on the USB is different to the ground / earth / 0v on the car electrics system. Take it back to the installer. Ask him to fix it or remove it for a full refund. It is obviously something he's done whether he agrees or not.

1 minute ago, Bignij said:

USB cables are normally concentric cables. i.e one core inside an outer core separated by insulation. The outer core should be screened and grounded as a matter of course.  It's possibly the cables installed extra to the USB cable that's causing the issue.Unless the 0v on the USB is different to the ground / earth / 0v on the car electrics system. Take it back to the installer. Ask him to fix it or remove it for a full refund. It is obviously something he's done whether he agrees or not.

Thanks but the only other cables used are the Cellink ones that hardwire in. I didn't get the Cellink from them. Just the dashcam. 

I know this is of no use to you but i fitted a dash cam in my octavia and immediately lost dab signal when it was on.

I tried several shielded cables moved cable to both sides of a pillar,took power from several different points, earthed it in different places.

Nothing made any difference at all so in the end i removed it and dab was restored.

I guess some cameras just dont work with dab :(

I searched the net and there is no answer either.

Edited by tubbytommy

5 hours ago, Gizmo68 said:

My camera is underneath the housing (I think lol)

Here is my set up (I used the rear camera in the windscreen as it is smaller)

IMG_1398_zpsirmexhpc.jpg

This is where the USB cable goes into the OE camera / rain sensor housing, non of it can be seen from the drivers or passenger seat.

IMG_1399_zpsrh8bslsv.jpg

As an aside.

I have a front and rear dashcam combined. I have no issues with the DAB, although I haven't run the cables into the interior. I just prefer to have them hanging.

19 hours ago, Gizmo68 said:

Here is my set up (I used the rear camera in the windscreen as it is smaller)

IMG_1398_zpsirmexhpc.jpg

This is where the USB cable goes into the OE camera / rain sensor housing, non of it can be seen from the drivers or passenger seat.

IMG_1399_zpsrh8bslsv.jpg

Hi it looks like the cable is running at the side/around the sensor housing and not going in it? I won't be able to have mine there because I have the normal large one on the front screen and it will be in the way. Well I have until the 15th to decide what the heck Im going to do with this.

In the meantime I am glad I have the camera because I videoed quite a bad accident through my rear view window a few days ago. I didnt even know it had happened until I got home and looked at the footage. I heard a very low noise whilst driving and thought I had gone over a small piece of wood or something in the road. So I checked the camera when I got home and got quite a surprise!

It appears from other forums that my problem may be from the rear camera cable being coiled up near the camera itself, (which is where the dab antenna is apparently). I have asked the company who arrange the installs to let the installer know. I don't know if the cable was coiled up in my case but I hope so since this is maybe an easier fix than having to reroute all the cabling. I am not sure where the excess cable will go though if it is.

I wish the rear camera had been installed properly by removing the plastic trim/liner in the boot like some people with Octavias do. My installer was not keen to do that though and said it wasn't really possible to feed it through the rubber grommits. 

I half feel like contacting another company to do the rear wiring again for me because I have lost a bit of confidence in my original one.

Hi All. Just to update this thread. Installer came out yesterday (different guy to last time) and I told him to see if the wiring had been looped up by the camera. It was indeed and there was metres of it. He pulled it all through to the front and lo and behold DAB is now working fine (touch wood).

Just thought I would let people know in case they have the same problem.

Thanks for everyones help :-)

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, firstly thank you to all previous posters on this issue. 

I ran into this exact issue installing a thinkware F770 dual system in my superb 3, as soon as the Dashcam came on instant and total loss of dab signal. 

I installed the camera myself using the supplied hardwire kit and piggyback fuses, and ran the rear camera USB cable down the passenger (R.H.D U.K) and all seemed fine until I tried the radio. 

Anyway long story short I unplugged the USB rear camera lead from the front unit and hey presto good dab signal again. Following others advice I removed the USB rear camera cable from the passenger side and have just ran it down the drivers side. All fully working and great radio signal again (L&K fitted with T. V.). The issue seems to be with the rear quarterlight windows, they appear to have aerials installed in them, I routed the cable as far away as possible from these windows and the control units of the aerials and all is well. Thanks guys for saving me a massive headache! 

I had no issue installing my F770 down the passenger side but I crossed over to the off side in the "load area" roof lining to use the off side ducting to get into the tail gate - I wonder if the issue is the use of the n/s rubber duct bringing wires into contact? I failed to identify "what antenna is where".  Within the tailgate there is "Skoda Superb III 3V Antenna amplifier Radio AM/FM 3V5035577A" and a "MK7 VW GTI RADIO ANTENNA STATIC FILTER CONTROL MODULE UNIT 5Q0 035 570 OEM -548".  There are antennae in each rear quarter light (different "patterns")  and then the shark fin on the roof.  Anybody know what they are used for? DAB and TV will use the same antenna, GPS - roof? Mobile phone - roof? (my BMW also had one underneath the car so that the emergency SOS call would work if the car was upside down), Smartlink(?) wifi hotspot antenna?

20 hours ago, peter_k said:

I had no issue installing my F770 down the passenger side but I crossed over to the off side in the "load area" roof lining to use the off side ducting to get into the tail gate - I wonder if the issue is the use of the n/s rubber duct bringing wires into contact? I failed to identify "what antenna is where".  Within the tailgate there is "Skoda Superb III 3V Antenna amplifier Radio AM/FM 3V5035577A" and a "MK7 VW GTI RADIO ANTENNA STATIC FILTER CONTROL MODULE UNIT 5Q0 035 570 OEM -548".  There are antennae in each rear quarter light (different "patterns")  and then the shark fin on the roof.  Anybody know what they are used for? DAB and TV will use the same antenna, GPS - roof? Mobile phone - roof? (my BMW also had one underneath the car so that the emergency SOS call would work if the car was upside down), Smartlink(?) wifi hotspot antenna?

I found that there were two areas one in each quarterlight, and each had a blue box that they connected to under the headlining. As my rear camera is stuck on to the headlining I did route it through the tailgate lid so didn't have this issue. I can defin6say though that if the cable sits too close to either of those blue boxes that connect to the aerials it knocks out dab and possibly TV tuner, by routing the cable through the middle of the boot headlining it worked fine, without extra ferrite cores (just the supplied one fitted right up against the rear camera.