when to change car

Mine is Taxi 1.9tdi Elegance estate ,not had any major issues and now done 246k service regularly and use genuine parts. I do wonder wether i should change before a possible long list of expensive repairs are required ie electrics - steering etc .Would love another just the same a 1.9tdi PD Estate . What year did they go up to before going all digital injection and DPF etc - and what should i expect to pay for a sub 100k example of the same .

Mot is due end of may so will see what that throws up ,car still drives mint everything tight CD multichanger has stopped working and drivers seat very flat and a bit uncomfortable but everything else is good and it still looks very presentable  some customers get in and ask if its a new car..

3 hours ago, davidbird said:

Mot is due end of may so will see what that throws up ,car still drives mint everything tight CD multichanger has stopped working and drivers seat very flat and a bit uncomfortable but everything else is good and it still looks very presentable  some customers get in and ask if its a new car..

Suspension may be very tired if it's a taxi by now. From what I have seen on auto trader a 2005/6 hatch Elegance 1.9, is anything around 2-2.5k with 100-150k. 

Its a fine line between selling and keeping. You do know the history, presumably as you owned it for so long and put the miles on yourself. 

Decided to take mine to 300k, but that could take 7 years if I use the Superb more than the Octy. 

To the best of my knowledge no Octavia 1.9 tdi had a dpf ( maybe 4x4 if they did one ? ) and they were phased out 2010 there's the odd few on a 60 plate I seen advertised

the rub is sellers know the issues with dpf' so the 1.9's make strong money my 09 estate has just clocked 76k this week so I've got the decision sell on now or in the next year while it's got a decent value or hold on to long term ? 

My issue is I don't do the mileage to facilitate the dpf so if I change its likely to be petrol ( or nearly new diesel and change  yearly, can't see that making financial sense though )

On 27/04/2017 at 18:23, davidwhite said:

To the best of my knowledge no Octavia 1.9 tdi had a dpf ( maybe 4x4 if they did one ? ) and they were phased out 2010 there's the odd few on a 60 plate I seen advertised

the rub is sellers know the issues with dpf' so the 1.9's make strong money my 09 estate has just clocked 76k this week so I've got the decision sell on now or in the next year while it's got a decent value or hold on to long term ? 

My issue is I don't do the mileage to facilitate the dpf so if I change its likely to be petrol ( or nearly new diesel and change  yearly, can't see that making financial sense though )

Costs nothing to hold onto it and get your moneys worth, rather than to sell it and spend more on something newer with more things to go wrong. But then again it's that whole new car thing, gets me every time bahhhhh 

• Like 1