HELP! Steering wheel MFSW retrofit issues/questions

Hi all,

i just spent the whole day chasing ghosts, with no luck...tried 2 different MFSWs and both have the same issue.

So, to start with: i have a S2 model 2012 with no MFSW and no cruise control my current column computer is 5K0 953 549 (simple, no letters).

To install a MFSW i understand i need a new computer (the highline one 5K0 953 549 B ) together with left/right sticks (turn lights, cruise control on left and wipers, etc on right).

I have this item together with the sticks, as well as new airbag and cabling, but i have problems with 2 wheels i found: the buttons on both don't work properly, volume up is pressing the left wheel, vol down is pressing the right wheel (instead of left wheel scroll for both up/down), etc...can't get into MFD or BC using the right buttons, etc...

The person who installed it explained that the new computer (the only one high-line available for this of car) does not play well with the commands in the wheels, because they are Octavia 3 or Octavia RS wheels. The damn things look identical to Superb 2 FL wheels but the button controls are different components.

So my question is: what wheel (part#) should i look for (together with correct buttons) or alternatively, what button set (part nr.) should i look for to replace the ones on the existing O3 or RS wheels?

Would the "5E0 919 719 A" or "3V0 919 719 A" commands be recognized properly by the high-line "5K0 953 549 B" computer?

The stupid wheels i tried are an O3 wheel, 4 spoke, similar to the S2 FL one, and a RS wheel, flat bottom, perforated leather with red stitching. Both with only multifunctional buttons incl. telephone and no DSG paddles. Luckily the airbag fits both. I need the airbag regardless, because the one in the original wheel is different and will be sold together with the wheel itself (once i get this damn retrofit sorted out)...

THANKS a lot in advance!!

Edited by zice

11 minutes ago, jafo said:

Search forum - not so long ago there was a topic with list of working components. 

i am for the past hour, before i registered and still doing it since :P

i'm confused because i see all kinds of parts and issues, such as horn not working or

just to add more info: i chose to add cruise control because i had to cancel the MFD controls on the right stick anyway and therefore i replace also both sticks and got cruise control as "bonus"...of course the cable must be fitted to the central computer for that, but that's episode 2 of the saga...

Edited by zice

First of all - do not panic. The buttons itself are a bit too expensive to buy them separately. As an alternative You need to find the wheel from Yeti, Rapid or Superb 2 Facelift. Even airbag wiring is different in Octavia 3 and Superb 3. Forget about it. The part number for buttons is E0 919 719 E or F (difference is with telephone  support(F)). Try this portal:

https://allegro.pl/wyposazenie-wnetrza-kierownice-4133?string=kierownica rapid&order=pd&bmatch=base-relevance-floki-5-nga-aut-1-3-0222

8 minutes ago, Enriquez said:

First of all - do not panic. The buttons itself are a bit too expensive to buy them separately. As an alternative You need to find the wheel from Yeti, Rapid or Superb 2 Facelift. Even airbag wiring is different in Octavia 3 and Superb 3. Forget about it. The part number for buttons is E0 919 719 E or F (difference is with telephone  support(F)). Try this portal:

https://allegro.pl/wyposazenie-wnetrza-kierownice-4133?string=kierownica rapid&order=pd&bmatch=base-relevance-floki-5-nga-aut-1-3-0222

thanks! so those two 5E0 919 719 A or 3V0 919 719 A are no good? i found them on a local portal in my area...

So i can forget about the wheel i currently have (O3) and its airbag, right?

I even checked this site, but it's too many combinations...

http://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/superb/sup/2014-768/4/419-419010/#11

Edited by zice

8 minutes ago, gizmo98 said:

What wheel are you trying to fit ? 

Ive fitted this recently 

and used the new controller 

5K0 953 569 E

I am trying to fit THIS wheel now

But i had THIS one also today and also failed....

As i said, my controlled now is 5K0 953 549 and the one i have to install is the "B" high-line version, together with new sticks.

Ross Tech wiki says the same thing HERE

Edited by zice

43 minutes ago, zice said:

but what part is the A one? i can't find it anywhere....

HERE IS THE IMAGE

ANOTHER IMAGE

nevermind, i think i FOUND it, is for Octavia 3....so no good.

and the other ONE is for Fabia 3 / Superb 3...no good.

So guys, options now are clear: return both wheel and airbag and order proper components online, since i can't be lucky to find the E or F controls floating around on private sale portals....Correct?

Dumb question now: buttons on all FL steering models have white light, no? :) 

All lights inside S2 are green....

Edited by zice

49 minutes ago, zice said:

nevermind, i think i FOUND it, is for Octavia 3....so no good.

and the other ONE is for Fabia 3 / Superb 3...no good.

So guys, options now are clear: return both wheel and airbag and order proper components online, since i can't be lucky to find the E or F controls floating around on private sale portals....Correct?

Dumb question now: buttons on all FL steering models have white light, no? :) 

All lights inside S2 are green....

I think you can fit those wheels if you just change the buttons,speak to @TurboTommy I'm sure he had one fitted 

25 minutes ago, Enriquez said:

Airbag fits, but wiring is different. 

which wiring? the yellow one that goes in the computer or the black flat one that goes into the buttons?

Found 2 wheel codes:

3T0419091AH CWE

5L0419091G MCR

Remember i have the 549 computer, not the 569...

Which wheel from above would work? And can anything be done to the airbag wiring, or is it too complicated?

Edited by zice

Just adding a reply as you asked me to.

I don't think 549 vs 569 modules should make difference, if it supports MFSW then it should be fine with either style wheel.

When I did this, I bought a new Fabia 3 wheel from here and replaced the buttons for 5E0 919 719 F. I think I used the cable that came with wheel but I can't be sure. The backlight is green so fits the interior perfectly.

They also sell a full Superb MK2 FL wheel that I'd expect to work: http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-II/Superb-II-original-Skoda-MF-luxurious-leather-3-spoke-steering-wheel-with-AIRBAG-with-68-DISCOUNT

12 minutes ago, langers2k said:

Just adding a reply as you asked me to.

I don't think 549 vs 569 modules should make difference, if it supports MFSW then it should be fine with either style wheel.

When I did this, I bought a new Fabia 3 wheel from here and replaced the buttons for 5E0 919 719 F. I think I used the cable that came with wheel but I can't be sure. The backlight is green so fits the interior perfectly.

They also sell a full Superb MK2 FL wheel that I'd expect to work: http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-II/Superb-II-original-Skoda-MF-luxurious-leather-3-spoke-steering-wheel-with-AIRBAG-with-68-DISCOUNT

from what i understand, having the 549 module only gives me the option to go highline using 549B.

569 cannot be installed, it's physically different..slightly.

basically the "old" buttons have the 3T0 (Superb 2 pre-FL) code, while the "new" buttons have the 5E0 (Superb 2 FL, Rapid, Yeti) code.

while 3T0 should work 100% with the 549B module, the question is: do ALL 5E0 buttons work with 549B as well (besides knowing they work anyway with 569)

Edited by zice

My understanding is that there are ~8 different 5E0 part numbers. They are split between two different communication types for PQ35/46 or MQB cars.

If your 549 B module supports 3T0 buttons, I believe it should support 5E0 buttons designed for PQ35/46 cars. It will not support 5E0 buttons designed for MQB cars.

ETKA suggests the following:

- 5E0919719 (Fabia3, MK3 Octavia)

- 5E0919719A (Fabia3, MK3 Octavia)

- 5E0919719B (MK3 Octavia)

- 5E0919719C (Fabia2, Rapid, Roomster)

- 5E0919719D (Fabia2, Roomster)

- 5E0919719E (Rapid, MK2 FL Superb, FL Yeti)

- 5E0919719F (Rapid, MK2 FL Superb, FL Yeti)

- 5E0919719G (MK2 FL Superb, FL Yeti)

That shows that 5E0919719/5E0919719A/5E0919719B are for MQB cars so will definitely not work.

I think that 5E0919719C only has the left hand buttons. Not sure about 5E0919719D.

That leaves the following as the best match for a PQ35/46 car such as your MK2 Superb:

- 5E0919719E - without telephone controls

- 5E0919719F - with telephone controls

- 5E0919719G - supports DSG paddles

I can't be sure they are compatible with your 549 module but with the correct wiring loom I would be surprised if they didn't work.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, langers2k said:

My understanding is that there are ~8 different 5E0 part numbers. They are split between two different communication types for PQ35/46 or MQB cars.

If your 549 B module supports 3T0 buttons, I believe it should support 5E0 buttons designed for PQ35/46 cars. It will not support 5E0 buttons designed for MQB cars.

ETKA suggests the following:

- 5E0919719 (Fabia3, MK3 Octavia)

- 5E0919719A (Fabia3, MK3 Octavia)

- 5E0919719B (MK3 Octavia)

- 5E0919719C (Fabia2, Rapid, Roomster)

- 5E0919719D (Fabia2, Roomster)

- 5E0919719E (Rapid, MK2 FL Superb, FL Yeti)

- 5E0919719F (Rapid, MK2 FL Superb, FL Yeti)

- 5E0919719G (MK2 FL Superb, FL Yeti)

That shows that 5E0919719/5E0919719A/5E0919719B are for MQB cars so will definitely not work.

I think that 5E0919719C only has the left hand buttons. Not sure about 5E0919719D.

That leaves the following as the best match for a PQ35/46 car such as your MK2 Superb:

- 5E0919719E - without telephone controls

- 5E0919719F - with telephone controls

- 5E0919719G - supports DSG paddles

I can't be sure they are compatible with your 549 module but with the correct wiring loom I would be surprised if they didn't work.

great info, thx!

i found an Yeti/Rapid/S2 FL wheel, code 5L0 419 091G CWE. It has for sure the 5E buttons (new design) but can't know exactly which until i test it.

am i correct to assume that Skoda was smart enough to put 5E buttons compatible with MK2/PQ35/46 (one of the 3 you mentioned last), on a wheel which is compatible with MK2? :)

Assumption based on the fact that the classic Octavia 3 wheel, such as the one i have now and doesn't work, has installed the 5E buttons compatible with MQB, not PQ35/46...

I checked the info HERE and i got the following, is it correct?:

Superb FL 2014:

3 spoke wheel - (2) 5L0 419 091 G

buttons - (11) 5E0 919 719 E/F/G

Octavia 2014:

3 spoke wheel - (2) 5E0 419 091 G/AG/H/AH/D/J/AF/AS/AT/K/L/AP/AQ

button - (11) 5E0 919 719 A/B

Yeti 2014:

3 spoke wheel - (4) 5L0 419 091 G

buttons - (11) 5E0 919 719 E/F/G

Therefore i assume the buttons on the S2 FL/Yeti are similar, while Octavia 3 are different (even though the f***g wheels look the same) hence my issues.

Now hopefully the factory don't assemble Octavia buttons in Yeti/S2 FL wheels, because they'd have the same problem as mine right now...not 100% working commands.

And to add more hope, the S2 FL/Yeti wheel works fine with the 549B highline and the Octavia 3 airbag fits properly :)

I can't figure out why current buttons light on O3 wheel are white, not green...hopefully the S2/Yeti wheel is green.

When you refer to "wiring loom", do you mean the wires that come out of the airbag to connect to 549B module (yellow plug) and wheel buttons (flat black plug)?

Edited by zice

10 hours ago, gizmo98 said:

I think you can fit those wheels if you just change the buttons,speak to @TurboTommy I'm sure he had one fitted 

I installed mine myself but my car had mfsw and cruise factory fitted so i just swapped wheels.

Ony issue i has was finding correcf buttons.

You need yeti or superb ones as mk3 octavia dont work.

23 minutes ago, tubbytommy said:

I installed mine myself but my car had mfsw and cruise factory fitted so i just swapped wheels.

Ony issue i has was finding correcf buttons.

You need yeti or superb ones as mk3 octavia dont work.

So the assumption that the yeti 3spoke wheel 5L0 419 091G has yeti buttons which work with module 549B is correct? :) 

27 minutes ago, zice said:

Ok, i can confirm it works!!!

just installed it.

Thanks all for your help!

Good to hear it! Can you add a VCDS autoscan as it might help people find this topic in the future :)