HELP! Steering wheel MFSW retrofit issues/questions

• 7 months later...
22 minutes ago, marcinp said:

Hi,

just fitted below wheel:

http://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/flat-bottom-steering-wheels-4/oem-flat-bottom-octavia-2-superb/

everything seems to be fine apart of DSG flaps all other functions seems to work can somebody help please?

post up an autoscan

37 minutes ago, marcinp said:

Hi,

just fitted below wheel:

http://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/flat-bottom-steering-wheels-4/oem-flat-bottom-octavia-2-superb/

everything seems to be fine apart of DSG flaps all other functions seems to work can somebody help please?

Did the old wheel have flappy paddles?

Pop the airbag off again and check all looms are present and connected (compared to you OE wheel) 

If they are then I would just transfer your old paddles and loom to the new wheel, I would guess that something on the new wheel is not compatible??

This is something of interest to me, I'm fitting in a Columbus nav unit (replacing the stock Bolero radio) and I have a three spoke MFSW, shift paddles and the cruise control stalk ... now, what exactly would I need (I guess I already have all of the required control units) if I would opt to go for the newer type steering wheel (like the one marcinp posted), I doubt it is a simple plug/play job even with VCDS available ... or is it? Regarding the cruise control speed shown in the bottom left, I tried to activate that on my car, but supposedly it is dependent on the instrument panel firmware? Mine is a 2008, no go ... I've read somewhere it is available on the 2011 onwards cars

I've managed to obtain a newer type MFSW (not the really latest one, racing-type, with the flat bottom - not fond of it actually), and will try to fit it on the car and see what happens in a simple plug&play event.

Here's me ... so, steering wheel swap complete, only to open up a few issues, so a clarification would be much appreciated (in terms of what I'm missing for everything to work as intended) ... I first wanted to confirm whether or not the wheel itself would be great in terms of comfort and whether it is physically in place as expected, that's why I rushed the swap procedure just to see whether the basics are ok (doesn't make sense to proceed further if this isn't cleared in the early stages) ... and I've managed to figure out some things as I've progressed with the swap ... I can't use the existing airbag/MSFW buttons connector, because the steering wheel's connector isn't compatible (5th photo, black connector near the bottom) ... connecting the VCDS showed a long list of errors, some overlapping, currently  I don't have the bending lights function active, etc, the instrument panel is lit like a Xmas tree and so on ... I need to obtain a compatible airbag, that's clear, but, what does it have to come with? Rear springs, the wiring loom/connector that connects the steering wheel as well?

I've attached the photos of what I've removed from the car, so would like to know (apart from the airbag and its front plastic cover), what else do I need to complete the MSFW swap and to have it work as intended? Is the existing clear white base/connector, to which the yellow airbag connector connects to ok as it is, or will that need to be swapped as well by another unit?

IMAG0190.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

IMAG0196.jpg

IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

Forgot to add, the new steering wheel's part id is 5E0 419 091 AF CWE ... I am aware that some combinations of wheels, looms and the angle sensor don't match, so I'd like to know what I can do with this.

You need a new (full) airbag and a new airbag/MSFW wiring loom.

You also need to make sure the MFSW buttons are from a Yeti/MK2 FL Superb. If they are from a MK3 Octavia, MK3 Superb or similar, they won't work.

That part number (5E0419091AF) looks to be a MK3 Octavia part number so assuming it has MK3 Octavia MFSW buttons, it won't work...

The steering wheel is from an Octavia Mk3. Ok, let's start from simple things ... if I get this item:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/SKODA-OCTAVIA-3-MULTIFUNKTION-MFL-KABEL-LEITUNGSSATZ-AIRBAG-5E0971584A-/222568711935?

can I connect that to the current steering wheel sensor (photo #2 in my big post), or does that sensor need to be replaced as well - if it does, with what kind of type (there are quite a few available, and by some brands like Febi, Bilstein, ATP, etc.

The airbags are not an issue I presume (as long it is the newer type), right?

Cheers

As far as I know, all new style airbags are fine.

I think that cable should be OK. I'm not sure exactly which I fitted when I did mine as the wheel/airbag/wire came as a bundle.

As your slip ring already supports a MFSW, there should be no need to change it. It'll probably only support MFSW buttons with green illumination so avoid the newer white ones.

I'll first try with the cable and to get an airbag ... I can stand not having buttons on the steering wheel (during this experimental phase - driving comes first). Then I can see about the details, or drop the project (I still have the original wheel). I've asked about the cable, because the big yellow connector on that ebay link seems to me to have the small horizontal cut outs symmetrical, while the current connector has those two lines of cut outs asymmetrical, that is, slightly shifted to the side, and the locking cap on the top is also modified /the general connectors shape is still the same though). We'll see what will happen if I manage to connect it at all.

Visually, I don't see the difference between the two (at least regarding the big yellow connector ... also, is it just me, or are the newer type steering wheel's airbags different in size, specifically their width - Yeti/Superb on one side and the Octavia's on the other side? Found several photos on the net, it appears like that is the case ...

I've managed to order a used steering/airbag cable, part no. 5E0971584A ... if I can at least connect the airbag to it, that will be something, because I'm currently driving without one ... :D ... and then I will see what to do about the steering wheel (actually, the buttons) compatibility, and how to make it work regarding Superb/Octavia differences.

Quick question:

can you please tell me what is the correct part number for DSG paddles for new type wheel on Octy2 FL?

as long as i know they should illuminate in green (not white led) this may resolve my problem forever 

I've received the airbag wiring loom today, before trying to connect it (I have some doubts about the physical connector compatibility), would you suggest to disconnect the car battery as a precaution or can I freely test the cable with the steering wheel sensor (while no ignition)?

So, the cable that was received today has a part.no. 5E0 971 584 A ... so, currently, both the steering wheel (it's buttons for the most part) and the wiring loom are from an Octavia Mk3 ... nevertheless, I've connected the wiring loom to my current steering wheel sensor, and the conclusion (somewhat expected) is that it doesn't work ... there is no button back-light ... BUT, some buttons actually perform some functions (although not as intended) ... when pressing the farthest left button, I can cycle through the instrument panel screens ... pressing the left jog button will increase the volume ... rotating the right hog button in any direction will also increase the volume, but pressing it in will lower the volume ... and that's about it ... I will have to revert back to the original steering wheel and airbag for now, because the car is throwing most of the errors because of the steering wheel sensor which is "missing"

Writing to myself, but maybe it will help someone to avoid my mistakes ... somehow, I've caused a fault on the G85 steering sensor ... I think it happened when I plugged in the newer type cable, because previously, the steering angle's sensor wasn't recognized as an problem by using VCDS ... now, by having a probably dead unit (currently the old genuine steering wheel and airbag are on the car), the VCDS throws quite a long list of errors, all of which are referring to the angler sensor (from the Engine, AWD, ABS, CAN electronics ...) ... which means I'll have to order a new/used sensor (or clockspring as it is called in the USA) and see what will happen after replacing it ... the airbag isn't seen as an error, but there is no horn ... physical damage to the top steering wheel sensor is ruled out, bottom connectors were never tampered with

I've received today two important parts, which I hope to test over the weekend - one is the supposedly correct slip ring (part no. 5K0 953 549 B (I don't know what I currently have in the car though) and the other is the steering wheel, which is taken from a Superb manufactured 13-15, part.no. 3T0 419 091 AJ CWE (the electronics module has the part no. 5E0 419 685 A FOD, date 07.10.2014 ... the previous steering wheel, which proved not to be compatible with my car (since it was taken from an Octavia Mk3) had a part no. 5E0 419 091 AF CWE, while the electronics module has the part no. 307764415W29-AB, date 20.01.2014 ... don't know what to expect, since I currently have 3 different steering wheels at home and a faulty slip ring on the car (or at least, the faulty G85 sensor) ... :D