i cannot see dpf symbol in the dash

hi

on switching on my 15 plate tdi octavia estate the symbol for the dpf does not show.

i bought the car ex demo from  a skoda dealer. i have never seen the dpf or regen symbol at all. 

how should i know if and when the car is doing a regen or if the filter is full?

i do a mimimum 30 miles a working day only on motoway other times up to 50 miles. i never drivr in the city.

here is an image of the dash

thanks for helping in advance

Screenshot_2017-05-03-15-09-16.png

Edited by timetell

The DPF light should not come on under normal operation of the DPF, during an active or passive regen.  I find this post on another forum explains things:

http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/31023-dpf-regeneration-information-must-read-for-all-drivers-of-dpf-equipped-cars/

The DPF light will only come on if the DPF can't sort itself out through an active or passive regen and a trip to the dealers is likely but a good thrashing at the prescribed revs/duration may alleviate the problem.   

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 2

im really worried because all over the net the abreviation DPF seems to becoming a dreaded term. what strikes me is other owners seems to have this symbol even if its not lit the driver should atleast see it on turning the key. ive checked the manual but no help there. only that you should drive over 37mph to burn out the particles... its driving me crazy. i spoke with my dealer and all he keep saying is. dont worry about it. 

Is there not a point where the DPF gets inevitably clogged up by soot, that it needs replaced as part of maintenance?

Some people have said not to switch it off when it is performing a DPF, it would've been useful if some sort of indication was present - other than high idle / no stop start / fans.

• Like 1

Just now, timetell said:

im really worried because all over the net the abreviation DPF seems to becoming a dreaded term. what strikes me is other owners seems to have this symbol even if its not lit the driver should atleast see it on turning the key. ive checked the manual but no help there. only that you should drive over 37mph to burn out the particles... its driving me crazy. i spoke with my dealer and all he keep saying is. dont worry about it. 

Your dealer is correct. Just stop worrying about it. Like I said, the time to worry is when you can see the light.

• Like 2

wilm82

that is how i was thinking too. but like rustynuts and my dealer say.... dont worry about it

i think ill stop scaring myself by reading those scary dpf blogs on rhe net

Edited by timetell

4 minutes ago, WillM82 said:

Is there not a point where the DPF gets inevitably clogged up by soot, that it needs replaced as part of maintenance?

Some people have said not to switch it off when it is performing a DPF, it would've been useful if some sort of indication was present - other than high idle / no stop start / fans.

The soot gets turned into ash which cannot be removed from the DPF so this determines the life of the DPF however they generally last a long time.

Never keep the car idling just because its doing a regen, firstly because the DPF will cool down to the point its not actually burning off any soot and eventully quit anyway, secondly its a waste of fuel. If the DPF is still deemed to require a regen when you next drive the car it will have another go.

You really don't need to worry at all, the CR engine is well suited to a DPF and it manages to cope perfectly fine even on shortish runs providing your journeys allow the car to get to operating temperature (DPF will not start regenerating until the engine is quite some way to being at operating temperature)

• Like 1

At the distances you cover and the type of roads, you should not see the DPF light at all, as it will regen on it's own.

DPF's are a huge problem in city's because you can't really get enough speed, revs or distance for them to regen themself's, so a trip to a good indy  or dealer is the only option; where the use of diagnostic equipment will force the vehicle to carry out a regen; but this does not work all the all the time. At this piont a new DPF is needed and these can cost £1k upwards.

Thats why i went back to petrol, living in london; shame as the VW diesel lumps are brilliant.

Edited by Ju1ian1001
  • Like 1

Have never seen that in the status.

Usually when it is running a DPF, the status just says "Start Stop unavailable / Engine needs to be running"

• Like 2

The only time to worry is when the light comes on or you see the warning above!

I've only ever owned diesel cars & I've never had one where the car informs you it is doing a regen.

The driver doesn't need to know about it anyway.

Just enjoy your car & stop worrying about things you've read on the internet (most of it is alternate fact anyway).

• Like 4

When I started my new job (a year ago) I was only driving for about 2 miles a journey.  I kept getting regens and interrupting them, then I got the DPF warning on the dash.  That evening I took it for a 20 minute drive in Sport mode (mine is DSG) with revs over 2k and speed over 50mph and within about 10 minutes it had cleared.  I do a few more miles now I'm settled in the job but have never seen the message again.  Personally having witnessed the "dreaded" DPF warning and cleared it without a trip to the dealer I wouldn't worry, just if you do see it act on it and do the drive!!

• Like 2