Tsi 220 dsg smoothness

DSG is ultra smooth changing through the gears - light or heavy right foot. Always brings a smile.

however

I had 160TDi before and I think it was a better match, now have 2.0TSi and a few times in 3k miles i have found it hunting for a gear which I never remember happening with TDi.

No such issues in almost 11,000 miles in our 220. It's smooth and refined especially at low speeds. Often you can't even tell it's changed gear unless you're watching the numbers on the screen. If you're pressing on hard (I'm talking full throttle and revs towards the red line) it'll jerk slightly on changing up, but that's actually engineered in on purpose to feel 'sporty'. It's a very silky and relaxed combo, and great for hooning along the back roads in manual mode using the paddles when the mood strikes. There's a 220 thread knocking about if you haven't already read it.

Smudgers I had the opposite experience. I had a 150 TDI courtesy car and thought the DSG didn't really suit it at all. The petrols are much nicer with the 6 speed wet clutch DSG combo (though I'd still prefer a manual!).

Octavianestate whereabouts are you in West Mids? I'm sure at least one 220 owner must be nearby and wouldn't mind taking you around the block? Post on the 220 thread perhaps, as most of the owners are in there already.

While we dont have a petrol ( L&K 190 diesel ) i can confirm its great ! the changes are the same wether we are solo or towing our ( 1.5 ton ) caravan . in both cases its like oiled silk !I use to drive H.G.V 's with Auto boxes -- hated them ! but the D.S.G. brings the best of both worlds together, the acceleration....................

david

Smooth as the proverbial "baby's butt" - have yet to see a single jerky shift or hunting for gear after more than 7k with my 220 DSG. Start-stop can give it the occasional stop-noo-ooops-letsgo thingy but it has nothing to do with the DSG per se.

good information thanks. I recently purchased a 220 sportline and found the dsg shifts not so smooth especially from 1-2, 2-3 and sometimes a little hesitant.

My 2014 octavia dsg diesel is smooth as silk on the upshifts so confused as to why the superb is less than.

Im thinking it needs a reset or update too. 5k miles was the dealer principal car prior. The dsg otherwise seems fine in fact when pushed a bit harder shifts smoother. No noises or anything else noticed.

I will get it checked out though.

As above, get it booked in and checked to be safe. That aside, what fuel are you running? If you're not on 99 RON (V-Power or similar) then brim up with that and see how you get on after giving it a couple of hundred miles to work its magic. The ignition timing advances significantly on 99 RON fuel (about 25 to 30 degrees before TDC on average, by my testing), and this has a significant impact on low speed smoothness and gearbox behaviour ime. Not to mention it makes the car much more alive under full throttle at the top end of the rev range. :devil:

Guys,

Don't get me wrong, would have another DSG box anytime - think their great.

I'm running on V-power - have done so since new - will perhaps ask local dealer if there is a software update available.