Why RS has fake exhaust?

On 5/17/2017 at 15:11, Croat said:

Yestarday I was making video for my you tube chanel. And I know RS has right exhaust fake. But I tought it was because ther was only on pipe. But thers two? So question is why is Skoda saving money with fake exhaust and didi't add second pipe?

The black car that you filmed in the showroom was a diesel, (Redline starts at 5K RPM), so the single exhaust on the L/H side is normal, even on an RS.

Always remembering that the number one design priority for the Octavia 3 was reducing costs, the extra bit of bling on the diesel will be as cheap or cheaper than producing an alternative rear valance for the diesel VRS.

16 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

I notice a pattern in your comments that you have something against the VRS, why is that? :)

Have you ever driven one?

Most petrol VRS cars come up with around 245bhp when put on a dyno and most ecu remaps will see it over 300bhp, with just a simple remap.

What is your point?

Nothing, except that tdi vrs has the same power as (almost entry) 320d, which makes me angry for some reason, dont you?

36 minutes ago, toni8b said:

Nothing, except that tdi vrs has the same power as (almost entry) 320d, which makes me angry for some reason, dont you?

Well... Nope.

I don't know about where you live, but in Finland, a 320D is substantially more expensive than a equivalent (year and km) VRS TDI.

Also, BMWs are not that special - you are just paying an awful lot for the badge, but each to their own, I guess ;)

On 19.5.2017 at 13:08, 64VRS said:

How much does something like this cost to install?

The exhaust was around 600€ and I did most of the install myself.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

Well... Nope.

I don't know about where you live, but in Finland, a 320D is substantially more expensive than a equivalent (year and km) VRS TDI.

Also, BMWs are not that special - you are just paying an awful lot for the badge, but each to their own, I guess ;)

I know its more expensive, but still almost a second faster to 60 with same power (because of rwd).

On 2017-5-19 at 22:58, toni8b said:

tdi vrs has the same power as (almost entry) 320d

Thr 320d is BMWs mid range diesel engine to be fair. The 316 and 318 being below it. I don't get the general 320d engine hate, it's a better package then most mainstream manufacturers put in their "performance" models. If Skoda/Ford/Mazda/whoever stuck the 320d engine and drivetrain in one of their cars everyone would rave about it. 

On 2017-5-19 at 23:37, Jaco2k said:

You're paying for much more than just a badge, and if they cost the same as Skodas, then most would likely take the BMW. Most of the lower engines in the BMW range don't appeal, but once we start talking 6 cylinders and up, we're in a completely different league to the likes of Skoda. Then there's RWD or a proper 4 wheel drive system (not Haldex). iDrive is still the best infotainment system out there too in Pro Nav guise.

I love my Octavia VRS it was good value and suits my needs perfectly, but I've also owned a BMW 330D previously and no equivalent Skoda comes close to offering that blend of performance, economy and refinement. 

4 minutes ago, dale1uk said:

Thr 320d is BMWs mid range diesel engine to be fair. The 316 and 318 being below it. I don't get the general 320d engine hate, it's a better package then most mainstream manufacturers put in their "performance" models. If Skoda/Ford/Mazda/whoever stuck the 320d engine and drivetrain in one of their cars everyone would rave about it. 

Agreed, it's so easy to bash the 320d but for many it's all the performance you could need and returns fantastic fuel economy. From experience, BMWs diesels seem to return better economy than other manufacturers diesels with similar power.

1 minute ago, ahenners said:

You're paying for much more than just a badge, and if they cost the same as Skodas, then most would likely take the BMW. Most of the lower engines in the BMW range don't appeal, but once we start talking 6 cylinders and up, we're in a completely different league to the likes of Skoda. Then there's RWD or a proper 4 wheel drive system (not Haldex). iDrive is still the best infotainment system out there too in Pro Nav guise.

I love my Octavia VRS it was good value and suits my needs perfectly, but I've also owned a BMW 330D previously and no equivalent Skoda comes close to offering that blend of performance, economy and refinement. 

"Talking 6 cylinders and up"

How many 6 cylinder Octavias do we have in the range?

Don't compare potatoes with apples...

Also, have you been inside a 3-series BMW lately?

My friend has one (and it is even a tourer) and let's just say he is not that happy about the lack of space.

It is a quite small car for the price/segment.

Also, weren't those BMW engines notorious for having a plastic flap on the intake that would disintegrate, get sucked into the engine and blow it?

A BMW might be better than a Skoda, but it also costs more and I am not sure it is worth the more it costs.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2017 at 15:00, gregoir said:

That's an interesting comment about dpf. Must look out for a new model diesel. I thought the design was to direct the pollutants downwards.

Just seen a newish Mercedes estate which again had the coke cans hovering behind the downturned exhaust tips.:dry:

My 13 plate Octavia exhaust points backwards not down. I know it's the standard exhaust.

4 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

"Talking 6 cylinders and up"

How many 6 cylinder Octavias do we have in the range?

Don't compare potatoes with apples...

Also, have you been inside a 3-series BMW lately?

My friend has one (and it is even a tourer) and let's just say he is not that happy about the lack of space.

It is a quite small car for the price/segment.

Also, weren't those BMW engines notorious for having a plastic flap on the intake that would disintegrate, get sucked into the engine and blow it?

A BMW might be better than a Skoda, but it also costs more and I am not sure it is worth the more it costs.

That's exactly my point, there are no 6 cylinder Skodas, so you are paying for more than just a badge, since you can get access to engines with more than 4 cylinders. 

I have, a colleague has an LCI F31 340i M Sport. Sure it has less space than an Octavia, but if you don't need the space then it's pretty hard to criticize other than the fact it was quite expensive.

Nope, that's the much older diesels with that problem; those stopped being put into BMWs about 10 years ago. It's not as if VAG haven't had issues with diesels in recent times either....

I agree a BMW costs more, but it is a more premium product, and whether the extra is worth it, is a very subjective thing. To simply say you're "paying extra for a badge", oversimplifies the argument and ignores the many differences that a BMW offers over a Skoda.

4 minutes ago, ahenners said:

That's exactly my point, there are no 6 cylinder Skodas, so you are paying for more than just a badge, since you can get access to engines with more than 4 cylinders. 

I have, a colleague has an LCI F31 340i M Sport. Sure it has less space than an Octavia, but if you don't need the space then it's pretty hard to criticize other than the fact it was quite expensive.

Nope, that's the much older diesels with that problem; those stopped being put into BMWs about 10 years ago. It's not as if VAG haven't had issues with diesels in recent times either....

I agree a BMW costs more, but it is a more premium product, and whether the extra is worth it, is a very subjective thing. To simply say you're "paying extra for a badge", oversimplifies the argument and ignores the many differences that a BMW offers over a Skoda.

So mentioning 6 cyl cars is only OK when it serves your argument? Riiiight... :)

I don't have time right now, but later today I will back this up with facts:

I will make a search combining the Skoda Octavia VRS diesel and the BMW 320d for the same year and km in Finland.

Then, I will ask everyone to focus on the price difference, size, performance and stock equipment differences.

Then, each to their own, we can judge if the BMWs are worth as much more.

I guess since you have owned a 330d, you somehow felt this struck a nerve.

I have driven many BMWs, most recently the 428i and a 345i, both with x-Drive, but trying to compare those cars to a Skoda Octavia is like trying to compare a Skoda Octavia with a Ford Ka - they are both cars and get you from A to B, but different prices, segments, etc.

I have also driven a few Porsches and they are better than BMWs - I smoked an M3 at the lights driving a 911... Does this mean the M3 is ****e? ;)

27 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

So mentioning 6 cyl cars is only OK when it serves your argument? Riiiight... :)

I don't have time right now, but later today I will back this up with facts:

I will make a search combining the Skoda Octavia VRS diesel and the BMW 320d for the same year and km in Finland.

Then, I will ask everyone to focus on the price difference, size, performance and stock equipment differences.

Then, each to their own, we can judge if the BMWs are worth as much more.

I guess since you have owned a 330d, you somehow felt this struck a nerve.

I have driven many BMWs, most recently the 428i and a 345i, both with x-Drive, but trying to compare those cars to a Skoda Octavia is like trying to compare a Skoda Octavia with a Ford Ka - they are both cars and get you from A to B, but different prices, segments, etc.

I have also driven a few Porsches and they are better than BMWs - I smoked an M3 at the lights driving a 911... Does this mean the M3 is ****e? ;)

No nerve struck, just don't agree with the comment that you're "paying more for a badge" when a BMW offers a number of things you simply can't have in a Skoda. Having owned a BMW doesn't mean I'm a fanboy or anything, just that I've had one long enough to appreciate the subtleties in a car that you can't see or appreciate by driving one every now and again, or borrowing one for a couple of weeks. You say you've driven various examples, but don't say whether you've owned one.

By all means go ahead but I'm not sure what you'd like to achieve in that comparison by focusing on things such as price, performance, size and equipment? It's a restricted comparison specifically limited to the elements that Skoda do well in comparison to BMW, but ignores the areas where the BMW is better than Skoda; refinement, interior materials quality, build quality, driving enjoyment, technology etc. Do the same comparison on those latter elements and I'm sure the result will be different.

It seems like we've ended up going massively off on a tangent though, mentioning Porsches and Ford KAs. There's no right or wrong answer here, just 2 differing opinions, so I think it's best to agree to disagree and leave it at that :)

• Like 1

On 18/05/2017 at 21:29, pist0nbr0ke said:

I have heard good sounding diesels, a 3.0 ltr V6 Audi A5 at Shark Performance with a Milltek exhaust IIRC.

And a dock off V8 Scania with a custom 'zorst B)

4 cyl diesels sound crap though, including mine it must be said...

Our MKII TT (170 TDi) fitted with quad exit Scorpion exhaust actually sounded very good and not like a diesel (not as good as a V though)

photo4_zps79bf7a10.jpg

5 hours ago, ahenners said:

There's no right or wrong answer here, just 2 differing opinions, so I think it's best to agree to disagree and leave it at that :)

Fine with me :)

• Like 2