I never knew my car had this feature!

I recently changed my mobile phone to a Samsung Galaxy S7.  Now I discover I can access the phone book using the steering wheel controls, it appears in Maxidot and it intercepts incoming text messages and can read them out to me! How cool is that? I have a Bolero system which, with the old phone (HTC One Mini), I had to use the touchscreen to access the address book and it didn't intercept text messages.

But, the issue I have is that intercepted text messages do not also appear on my phone so I don't have a record there and sometimes it receives a message when my phone is connected but doesn't tell me.  The other day I discovered a text message from a friend that was received 3 days prior to me stumbling across it.  Also, while the phone is connected I can't send any text messages from the device.  I can still type them but they only send once I have disconnected the phone.  I guess this is a safety feature?

So, my question is this..... is there a way for incoming text messages to also be received on the phone and, of not, can this interception be disabled?

Cheers

Glen

It's called Remote Sim Access Profile (rSAP). It effectively disconnects your sim card from your phone and connects it to the GSM tranceiver in the car. It's great for people who spend all their time on the road and/or frequently travel in areas with marginal coverage. The downside, as you've discovered, is that any calls or texts received while connected are kept in the car and not synced back to the handset on disconnection.

It seems to be the default setting for a new bluetooth connection.

The other option, which is what you were probably using on your old handset, is Handsfree Protocol (HfP) which just routes phone audio through the car and provides bluetooth access to the phonebook and call register (if the phone supports it). You can switch your S7 back to this in the phone settings menu on the Maxidot display.

• Like 1

Yes I discovered this. skoda call it "premium", as you say i you can't access your phone when it's connected and it doesn't pass on the texts , I always switch to "handsfree"

9 hours ago, StuartTunstall said:

I know with the Columbus unit as fitted to mine you can copy the text to the phone if you want to keep it.... This is in the Columbus manual..

Doesn`t work, at least for me.

I noticed this after pairing my phone,  you loose data access - no emails on the move.

I also get an annoying message from Vodafone after each unpairing - we have noticed you are using a new sim - then a text for phone settings - annoying.

5 hours ago, Pody said:

I noticed this after pairing my phone,  you loose data access - no emails on the move.

I also get an annoying message from Vodafone after each unpairing - we have noticed you are using a new sim - then a text for phone settings - annoying.

That is one thing I like, I get loads of emails and it is nice to have a rest.... I did hear that if you set the wifi to work you do get email but never tried it... 

The message from Vodafone can be stopped... Vodafone did it for me, now changed to EE.... 

You need to contact Vodafone, I used the forum but this may help..

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Windows/Configuration-texts-on-rSAP-disconnect/td-p/1409290

On 20.5.2017 at 15:50, Pody said:

Activate wifi in your car and connect your phone to car`s network. 

I found this to also be the case:

10 hours ago, linni said:

Activate wifi in your car and connect your phone to car`s network. 

Once I done this step, phone works correctly once disconnected from the car and no longer needs a reboot.