Gearbox

3 hours ago, kentphil1 said:

when I filled mine after changing, I found that after rotating the wheels after filling, it moved sufficient oil around the box that it took about another 1/3 of a litre.

Gonna check level again.probably gonna bring to garage 2morow as it's getting worse and I fear doing damage

12 hours ago, kentphil1 said:

when I filled mine after changing, I found that after rotating the wheels after filling, it moved sufficient oil around the box that it took about another 1/3 of a litre.

Really? That's surprising. How can that be?

Because the oil galleries that feed oil into the outer casing section of the box are quite small and hence oil bleeds through very slowly. by rotating the wheels, you can force the distribution of the oil in the box along a bit quicker.

6 minutes ago, kentphil1 said:

From memory, mine took just a smidge under 2 litres to fill after rotating wheels and checking level after it settled.

Just checked the level in the box and the car is fairly level

Soon as i inscrewed the filler screw it started to dribble out so level seems fine.

Was thinking of checking the slave while i was at the linkage

Do you know can i just undo the 2 13mm bolts on the slave to pop it out for inspection without having to undo or disconnect any hydraulic feed lines?

Dont want to start getting air in lines aswel...:)

We did a slave that way on my friend's Vrs, just be observant not to drop anything into the hole in the box.

Are your selector cable end bushes in good nick?, no free movement when someone moves the lever with you watching what happens at the linkage?.

Edited by kentphil1

1 hour ago, kentphil1 said:

We did a slave that way on my friend's Vrs, just be observant not to drop anything into the hole in the box.

Are your selector cable end bushes in good nick?, no free movement when someone moves the lever with you watching what happens at the linkage?.

will have a go at getting it out. Apart from just feeling for play in them i havent checked like you say but can get someone here to do the honours

Thanks for suggestions

On 19/6/2017 at 01:28, huwants2no said:

@kentphil1 tried the reset linkage bout 5weeks back. Mite go again as need to inspect again anyway. Thanks as always

@trainautos watched your tube videos and I have way more play in shift stick, forward/back and considerably more sideways. Will have close look at the bushes in the pic you attached. Appreciate your input

How did you resolve your issue in the end?

I had to get the bush kit done, replace the cable catchers and reset the cables and also the Transmission oil.. hope you have replaced the Transmission oil with genuine GL-4 (G 060 726 A2) one or Redline because VW Transmissions are very sensitive.

18 minutes ago, trainautos said:

I had to get the bush kit done, replace the cable catchers and reset the cables and also the Transmission oil.. hope you have replaced the Transmission oil with genuine GL-4 (G 060 726 A2) one or Redline because VW Transmissions are very sensitive.

Yes.Got the oil from skoda dealer and rechecked the level.spot on.

There a lot of play in stick so think i mite invest in the bushes

Just about to check the linkage end now and was going to pop out the slave to see if its not leaking everywhere inside.

At the moment while driving 1st,2nd,5th are reliable.reverse noisey going in but 4th is bad trying to select and 3rd refuses to go in most of the time

Local garage said theyd investigate in the morning so if i cant find anything obvious think ill leave it with them 2morrow.

Was looking at conversion kits,big variation in prices as always but not too bad.She does have 180kmiles so allowed the odd sick day i guess

Cheers for the input

It is sounding more like linkage wear than oil related to me, definitely get the cables reset, and change the bushes, cheaper option than having the gearbox out - especially if the clutch is working ok/not slipping under load

19 minutes ago, octyal said:

It is sounding more like linkage wear than oil related to me, definitely get the cables reset, and change the bushes, cheaper option than having the gearbox out - especially if the clutch is working ok/not slipping under load

Yep. Clutch feels fine and no slipping anywhere thru the revs

Just bringing it to a fella this morning for a quick look. Will have a chat with him then and see. Newcables n bushes sounds lot better then box out job:)

will post when i know bit more

Thanks Al

Whilst this thread is active, I thought I'd just ask this question. My gear selection is all OK, but when the gearbox is warm, getting into 5th takes a bit more effort than others. Is this normal? It feels like it it's sort of 'tight'. No crunching, clutch slippage, just 5th is a bit tighter to access when warm. And I've changed the oil and reset the linkages. Haven't changed the bushings though I have lubricated them. Car has done 69k.

43 minutes ago, huwants2no said:

Yep. Clutch feels fine and no slipping anywhere thru the revs

Just bringing it to a fella this morning for a quick look. Will have a chat with him then and see. Newcables n bushes sounds lot better then box out job:)

will post when i know bit more

Thanks Al

Not the clutch then, definitely hydraulic or linkage adjustment.

As a point of reference I found this in the gearbox workshop manual, so your 1.8 litres of oil isn't too far off the mark

ehapoil.JPG

Edited by octyal

@octyal thanks.looks like level is good

If you were replacing the linkage cables is it possible to gain the access needed inside the car from above or does it require moving exhaust and being underneath car.

I thought in this pic looked like No.15 three locking nuts when removed mite give access to the cables. Actually looking again now,not so confident,sorry

Will try find a video on it and post

IMG_20170623_115139.jpg

You might want to check the price of the gear linkage cables, as they used to be in the region of £150 each, but the cable end adjusters are quite reasonable. if you look on Dieselgeeks youtube website, he shows a method to change the lever linkage bushes with the remote housing in the car.

If you want to work on the lot on the bench, then it is exhaust off, heatshield off, and undo the nuts and bolts that retain the remote and drop it from the car. Dieselgeeks version requires patience and the complete removal of the center console. If you have lost your front to rear cable bush, you make an extra access hole in the remote housing with a hole cutter to gain access and do it in situ.

1 hour ago, kentphil1 said:

You might want to check the price of the gear linkage cables, as they used to be in the region of £150 each, but the cable end adjusters are quite reasonable. if you look on Dieselgeeks youtube website, he shows a method to change the lever linkage bushes with the remote housing in the car.

If you want to work on the lot on the bench, then it is exhaust off, heatshield off, and undo the nuts and bolts that retain the remote and drop it from the car. Dieselgeeks version requires patience and the complete removal of the center console. If you have lost your front to rear cable bush, you make an extra access hole in the remote housing with a hole cutter to gain access and do it in situ.

Have watched some of his vids including one where he drills the hole for access.makes sense and saves lot of extra work if u dont have a ramp handy.

Saw the price too wow.what a rip. Dealer wont even sell the bushes seperate...usual rubbish. Gonna get fella to have a look for me see what he thinks but reckon the bushes mite be a good place to start!

Left car in with local garage this morning for an hour or so.he just rang back saying clutch needs to be replaced and they won't know till after clutch replaced but possible damage to gearbox also.

Would I not have had clutch starting to slip or other signs or does that sound feesable

I have only read small bit so far about the conversion kits but when I mention this to the guy this morning he say they don't recommend

Quoted me 300 for the clutch kit (DMF) and 150 labour

Is a second hand gearbox an option or is it pointless as mite be in bad shape itself??

What you guys think,would you be happy to go with that assesment???

7 minutes ago, Skoda_newby said:

Ouch. Sorry to hear the news. Can't give advice on the gearboxes though. All I know is the rest of the car is great. I love mine. Maybe worth a second handy?

Lol 'ouch' pretty much how the phone call felt. Cars been really good to me for many years now so can't complain too much.

If anyone has it handy could they post a link to a clutch coversion kit that is popular.was looking at a Valid one and Sachs,similar prices but there are lot of different ones doing the rounds. Just curious to see is there one folks recommend

Will get searching on the forums when I have a few mins

Thanks

2 minutes ago, octyal said:

Get a second opinion - if it was clutch related then it would be struggling in all gears, not just a few - I still reckon it's an adjustment issue

I think your right.impression i got was they didnt check whole lot.just figured lets change clutch

Another local place i can contact and see what he reckons. Im no expert but as you say why does it find 1st,2nd,5th no problem.mainly 3rd the problem and sometimes 4th

Will see what 2nd guy thinks...but frustrating this