1.0 TSI 110 SEL on order

First post, so be gentle!

After work moved two years ago my journey is now 28 miles each way, 3 times a week; with 13 miles on the motorway. With this my runabout Honda Jazz 1.4 now has 107k miles and struggles. I did not want to steal the wife's Qashqai, so decided I needed a new car. Wanting something which was good value for money, but with enough power for the motorway and with a comfortable ride I decided on the Fabia 1.2 110 SEL (now replaced with the new 1.0) and the PCP deal looked good, as it had the low 2.9% apr and 2k contribution.

Was not sure about having the 90 or 110, but thought the 6th gear would help for the motorway and after test driving this was very pleased with the ride and power.

Never having gone down this route, not sure if I have missed any tricks, as with the 2k Skoda deposit I did no other bargaining! Probably should have at least gone through something like Carwow first, to get quotes, but was pretty much an impulse buy.

Car was ordered 3 weeks ago and update this week was that due to the factory model change year it has a provisional build week of 31, with this being week 21, so approx. 10 weeks and then 2 weeks or so to get to the dealership. Although I would like it earlier, this works into my expected plans, so not really concerned with this (although now ordered, the normal waiting for xmas when a kid feeling has kicked in).

Extras are met paint as Black Magic Pearl and Amundsen Nav. After looking at the SE there were a number of options I wanted which were in the SEL, so decided this was best. I have settled on the 10k miles per year, as will be easier to swap cars with my wife if I start to use more and if I do more it should not be too much over the 10k per year, so would not be too expensive).

So guess the questions are, how stupid was I not to look at better deals (or is this standard and not really an issue, and as going through the dealer this may help in the long run).

Any other things I have missed out on e.g preference for 90 or 110 (as reviews say SE 90 is best choice, but I like the SEL extras and 6th gear?)

One final thing, my 2007 Jazz has electric folding door mirrors and I was surprised a new car with functions like cruise control  climate control, Kessy etc does not have this?

Actually one more thing, what do people think about the protection pack, was quoted £219 inc fitting, but as SEL car comes with floor mats already, so don't need those, but are the boot liner, bumper protector and mud flaps good value and quality?

• Like 1

I have just ordered the same car. Went for red with black colour concept, front and rear sensors, spare wheel, 4th year warranty and 2 services.

same thinking as you on the SEL instead of SE. Bit nervous with the new engine but it has been used in the polo for a while and the extra year warranty gives peace of mind. Got an extra £700 discount as well.

• Like 1

Don't know why a lot of people think the 90 is better! How can it be. Same car with 20 extra bhp and a 6 speed box! No contest. I didn't even consider a 90.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, numptie-boy said:

Don't know why a lot of people think the 90 is better! How can it be. Same car with 20 extra bhp and a 6 speed box! No contest. I didn't even consider a 90.

Well, maybe because it IS a nice engine ;)

Ive got the 3 cyl 1 ltr 95 (not 90) hp motor in my Seat, terrific for urban driving. It only lacks motor-braking ability - as the 1,2 but worse.

https://broadspeed.com/CarView/Skoda/Fabia/45640/TSI_1.0_110PS_Petrol_SE_L_Manual_5_doors

Broadspeed shows a £3271 discount on this model, Carwow would be similar.

Even with the £2k deposit contribution, you should have been able to get at least £1271 off list price. The £2k deposit contribution basically comes out of the dealers profit margin. 

Depends also where the dealer is with their sales target. If they are desperate for sales they will sell cars at cost price, to unlock the sales target bonus. If not they will try to hold onto as much margin as possible.

However you dont mention if you are trading in the Jazz. Maybe they have given you a great price for that also, £1000 instead of £500 for example.

3 hours ago, glosrich said:

https://broadspeed.com/CarView/Skoda/Fabia/45640/TSI_1.0_110PS_Petrol_SE_L_Manual_5_doors

Broadspeed shows a £3271 discount on this model, Carwow would be similar.

Even with the £2k deposit contribution, you should have been able to get at least £1271 off list price. The £2k deposit contribution basically comes out of the dealers profit margin. 

Depends also where the dealer is with their sales target. If they are desperate for sales they will sell cars at cost price, to unlock the sales target bonus. If not they will try to hold onto as much margin as possible.

However you dont mention if you are trading in the Jazz. Maybe they have given you a great price for that also, £1000 instead of £500 for example.

Many thanks for this. I must admit I felt I had made an error after doing additional research, I think what confused me was as this was a PCP deal and was unaware if any additional discount was an option?

I am not normally one for impulse buys, but I guess every now and again we all make mistakes. With a £500 non refundable deposit and the car now 4 weeks into the build I will probably bite the bullet rather than cancelling and trying to get a better deal and put it down to experience. 

Currently keeping the Jazz as my Daughter will be using this for driving practice when she turns 17.

Unfortunatley you could have a got a lot better deal there. 

I'd contact the dealer and have a chat that you're not happy you didnt get any discount on the list price, do some carwow quotes as evidence of discounts with the £2k PCP contribution. Maybe visit another Skoda dealer and see what deal the can do you, ask for discount this time...

If they wont budge on the price, maybe they will chuck in some accessories for free, like the protection pack you asked about, or the 3 year servicing plan.

At the end of the day if you can get a much better deal elsewhere it might be worth losing the £500.

Well, I had an update from the dealer advising that the build date has been brought forward 5 weeks, so is now week 26 which is in 3 weeks. In the meantime I have obtained quotes from Carwow which ranged from the same 2k PCP to 3k, although the best option may be a closer dealer with a £2918.

Have contacted my current dealer who do not use Carwow and they have not offered anything. So a bit disappointed with that, but will sleep on it and decide if I want to wait another 5 to 8 weeks for the sake of £400 to £500.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the same car on order - a 1.0 TSi 110 SE L in Race Blue. Was very tempted to go for a DSG but decided to stick with a manual for the time being. Current estimated build week for me is 33 (mid-August), so I guess I'll be getting the car in late August / early September.

I've not owned a petrol car since 2010, so it'll be an interesting change!

• 2 weeks later...

Had a call from the dealer today, and the build week has been brought forward to 31 (first week of August). I'll probably wait until early September in order to get the new registration though.

Has anybody taken delivery of a 1.0 110? If so, how has your experience been so far?

Our dealer has been in touch and told us it should be with them this week. I'm hoping to pick it up by the 15th July but no idea how long the PDI will take.

16 hours ago, sparckzero said:

Had a call from the dealer today, and the build week has been brought forward to 31 (first week of August). I'll probably wait until early September in order to get the new registration though.

Has anybody taken delivery of a 1.0 110? If so, how has your experience been so far?

If I'm not mistaken once the car arrives at the dealers it has to be regestered within so many days, I'd ring the dealer and ask 

2 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

If I'm not mistaken once the car arrives at the dealers it has to be regestered within so many days, I'd ring the dealer and ask 

Good idea. Once the dealer confirms when they expect to receive the car I'll clarify this with them.

2 hours ago, cypher007 said:

considered a SEAT Toledo?

I did look into the Rapid / Toledo, but I don't really need something that large. 

The dealer sent through a form for me to sign so they could register it. It also gave the licence plate (although this has a p after it which presumably means provisional?). This allowed me to get the insurance sorted out as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Collected the car yesterday. Long drive home as it's the start of the English school holidays. Very start stop traffic and a lot of 50 mph sections and some traffic jams. Cleared up once I hit the M74. Already got 600 miles on the clock and very happy with the car. The engine is very responsive, quiet and economical. Filled up the tank when I got to Aberdeen and worked out at 54mpg. Hopefully get 60 once it's run in. That takes care of most of the running in period so can start using it a bit more over the next few weeks.

Good bits; comfortable, quiet, easy phone connection, Apple play is good.

Frustrating bits; no one touch for windows, going between radio stations is a faff ( but there might be an easier way), you can't use google maps and stream music at the same time. Minot issues.

No pictures as the weather has been miserable all day here. Will try and get some up soon.

4 minutes ago, Scottk said:

Good bits; comfortable, quiet, easy phone connection, Apple play is good.

Sounds very positive!

5 minutes ago, Scottk said:

Frustrating bits; no one touch for windows, going between radio stations is a faff ( but there might be an easier way), you can't use google maps and stream music at the same time. Minot issues.

The lack of window one-touch is something I only learned after I'd ordered the car - will take some getting used to, but it's a small sacrifice to make in my opinion. I'll be using Android Auto, which I've used in the past on other vehicles, so I think (hope!) the music streaming / google maps issue might only be related to Apple?

I think it probably is the apple play. I didn't order sat nav as it's overpriced. The google maps integration is good and the voice directions come through the speakers. I was going to get a new tomtom but, for what the car will be used for, the Google maps will be fine.

there doesn't seem to be an off button for the A/C but I just turned down the fan.

i was unsure about the touchscreen but it is good.

19 hours ago, Scottk said:

Frustrating bits; no one touch for windows, 

On the Wife's SE L the drivers window is one touch, but the other three are not.