New discovery

Just discovered today that when operating the front indicators the associated DRL dims. I saw the reflection in the the boot of the car in front today.

Yes I know you all knew that but I didn't and I'm usually the last to know about most things :)

• Like 2

I think this is one of Skodas good ideas. Is it just me, over the years the indicator lights seem to have got small and small and the indicator dip and main been are all in a smaller area. When DLR's don't dim it makes the indicator lights very difficult to see especially in bright sunlight Joe

• Like 1

It's quite a standard thing on most cars where the DRLs are located next to or near the indicators. 
It didn't happen on the MK2 fabias as the DRLs are located down near where the foglights are but on newer cars where the DRLs are typically part of the main headlight assembly design it happens. As explained above it's due to the brightness/glare of DRLs it would be hard to notice the indicator flashing if the DRL stayed lit

• Like 1

RickW it's a great feature that I like about the car too, gives it that bit extra. I have noticed that the Fabia comes with lots of good little extras that most other cars don't have in the same price bracket.

I wonder if Skoda will ever inherit Audi strobe/sweeping indicators, I do like them!

• Like 1

Most of these "little quirks" are on most cars as fashion dictates that the "face" of a car must look "nice"!

Audi and others sweeping/strobing indicators, "dynamic" is Audi's name for that, yes I kind of like them but don't have them on my 2011 S4, for cars with split rear clusters, ie half on boot and half on rear wing, there are some kits that give you a "lookie likie" dynamic rear indicators, but they are just splitting the signal and delay the outer section, maybe better than nothing but not like the real thing.

Maybe a small point, it has been pointed out on an Audi forum that operating indicators in that manner is not 100% to British "road vehicle lighting regulations" - so maybe, one day, a bored traffic cop will stop one of these cars that have that feature - and that might just lead to a test case in the courts?

Yesterday's new discovery was, that the solid double lines on the road are special places where Audi drivers can overtake traffic without any competition!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

Yesterday's new discovery was, that the solid double lines on the road are special places where Audi drivers can overtake traffic without any competition!

..............................and Audi's DRL's dont dim cos Audi's dont have indicators, just like beemers

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

..............................and Audi's DRL's dont dim cos Audi's dont have indicators, just like beemers

No no, I drive my 2011 S4 now and again, when/where conditions dictate that it is the correct one of my cars that I seem to have for the job in hand, I am an Audi owner/user but I don't drive it like I owned the road, so probably my DRLs dim now and again - though, living near Edinburgh, there does seem to be a, maybe unofficial driving rule, that using indicators is optional !  And then you need to add in the usual Audi and BMW driver traits - I was driving my pauperish spec SEAT Ibiza when I got "rushed past" by that Black Edition 2.0TFSI Audi A4 - finished in black, what my wife would say is a criminal's spec of car! Maybe an undercover police car?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Audi's are the beemers of yesteryear 

Ever since entered the power race with Bmw 

All the tw@s drive them now

I find a lot of BMW driver's quite civilised 

• Like 1

My friend is changing his 2 year old BMW for a new Audi Malcster,I'll tell him ;)

• Like 1

Think about guys and girls I am right 

When ever you are being tailgated it's an Audi 

When ever the plonker deciders to over take 3 cars prior to over taking the lorry this prevents the 3 cars having there turn to over take it's an Audi 

The lack of indication on a roundabout it's usually an Audi 

:biggrin:

• Like 1

There's a nice little mod with VCDS that causes the DRL to fade out when activating the indicator and back in when they are cancelled. As stock they sharply decrease\increase in brightness. Just a little thing but I find it a nice touch.

3 hours ago, DBakes said:

There's a nice little mod with VCDS that causes the DRL to fade out when activating the indicator and back in when they are cancelled. As stock they sharply decrease\increase in brightness. Just a little thing but I find it a nice touch.

LED DRL DIM WHEN USING INDICATORS

- ECU09 (Central electronics)
- Adaptations
//-----Left-----
- "Leuchte2SL VLB22 "
- "Lichtfunktion C 2"
- Set "BlinkenlinksRampe" (Default: "Blinken links aktiv")
//-----Right----
- "Leuchte3SL VRB36"
- "Lichtfunktion C 3"
- Set "BlinkenrechtsRampe" (Default: "Blinken rechts aktiv")

Enjoy :)

@Damo

Edited by yankarinRG
  • Like 1

On 03/06/2017 at 20:29, malcster said:

Think about guys and girls I am right 

When ever you are being tailgated it's an Audi 

When ever the plonker deciders to over take 3 cars prior to over taking the lorry this prevents the 3 cars having there turn to over take it's an Audi 

The lack of indication on a roundabout it's usually an Audi 

:biggrin:

Malcster,this week I've been tailgated,dangerously overtaken and cut up by 3 BMW 1 series cars this week.

Admittedly I stick to speed limits and drive like my great grandad.

• Like 1

I don't know what it is about BMW drivers they all seem to be the same, that badge must really go to their heads. Audi the same and now Mercs too these days. They think they own the road and can drive how they want when behind the wheel...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On a sad note, Aussie spec cars don't have the auto-dimming DRL's.

On a happy note, I did make a pleasant discovery of my own, when thoroughly vacuuming the car for the first time the other day.

There are floor vents for the rear passengers under the front seats! These weren't mentioned in any of the reviews I read, so a nice surprise!

• 1 month later...
On 30/05/2017 at 18:02, RickW said:

Just discovered today that when operating the front indicators the associated DRL dims. I saw the reflection in the the boot of the car in front today.

Yes I know you all knew that but I didn't and I'm usually the last to know about most things :)

Blimey Rick, I hadn't even noticed my car has lights...lol! Actually, I've switched off my drl's as my wife does quite a few short journeys and what with all the other electrical stuff she uses I thought it might help the battery situation. So I didn't know any of this! Thanks...

• Like 1

I did discover that the 'front assist' works very well the other day when a taxi jammed on in front of me (doing about 30 mph). I'm sure I'd be looking at a badly bumped Fabia if it hadn't kicked in. A loud and frightening experience!

On 04/06/2017 at 20:55, RickW said:

Malcster,this week I've been tailgated,dangerously overtaken and cut up by 3 BMW 1 series cars this week.

Admittedly I stick to speed limits and drive like my great grandad.

Rick, funnily enough I was speaking with an ex-colleague about this tailgating situation as we drove (he was driving). He hugs other folks tails sometimes and it turns out he thinks it's ok and is the best way to tell people to get out of the his way!! Yet when someone did the exact same thing to him as we were driving he was using amazing expletives to denigrate the idiot that was doing it! Funny old world eh! Yes, I did also point out it was illegal to tailgate and Essex police have appealed for dash cam footage from anyone who has filmed other drivers doing this so they can have a go at prosecuting them. They want footage of folks using their phones whilst driving too. 

Edited by Estate Man
  • Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 03:24, Shenanigans000 said:

On a sad note, Aussie spec cars don't have the auto-dimming DRL's.

On a happy note, I did make a pleasant discovery of my own, when thoroughly vacuuming the car for the first time the other day.

There are floor vents for the rear passengers under the front seats! These weren't mentioned in any of the reviews I read, so a nice surprise!

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 03:24, Shenanigans000 said:

I live in Australia & the Fabia I own has auto-dimming DRLs

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/07/2017 at 20:51, Skomie6 said:

Ah, lucky you!

I have the 66Kw base model, with the non-projector (conventional) headlights and incandescent DRL's (not LED's). I'm guessing your 81Kw model has the projector headlamps / LED DRL's, which obviously have the auto dimming feature.