127 or 135 cm roof bars for Octavia Estate (Mk III)

Picking up my new (to me) Octavia Estate at the weekend (!), keen to get it fitted out with roof bars as soon as possible. Done quite a bit of research and i'm pretty set on splashing the cash and getting the Thule Wingbars with the Rapid Railing 757 to attach them to the roof rails. Several websites (including Thule themselves) recommend the Wingbar 961 for Mk III Octy Estates which are only 118 cm long; this seems pretty narrow, and strange as well since they recommend the 969s (127 cm) for the Octavia Hatch. Has anyone fitted 127 cm or even 135 cm bars to their estate that can advise me on this? My only worry with the 135 cm ones is that the feet that attach the bars to the roof rails might not be able to be attached so far from then ends. I checked the spec of the Estate and its width is 1814 mm (exact same as the Hatch) so I would have though 135 cm bars would be totally fine (and look the business). Any help is appreciated.

• Like 1

The picture above shows the estate roof bars perfectly. They are roughly 5 to 7 centimetres in from the edge of the roof.

The hatch mounting feet wrap under the door shuts so the bars need to be wider. I have the 969's for my VRS hatch and they fit well with a small overhang.

I would have thought the 961's would give a much cleaner look on the estate because the overhang isn't as much.

Edited by SimonD316
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So bit the bullet and bought some Thule 969Bs (127 cm) with the ProRide 598Bs, safe to say they look the business and work extremely well! The 969s fit perfectly, I think they are the ideal width.

IMG_20170709_120339.jpg

3 hours ago, Spongefactory said:

I bought a set of these for my Combi when I got it, really happy with them and they really are quiet if I leave them on;

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php?emulate=whycar&query=8128&vptype=574070&brand=Atera rail aero&prodid=30809

I have just bought these. Easy to fit, very quiet, even at French Autoroute speeds!

They seeem really good quality too. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/07/2017 at 10:41, hsimons said:

So bit the bullet and bought some Thule 969Bs (127 cm) with the ProRide 598Bs, safe to say they look the business and work extremely well! The 969s fit perfectly, I think they are the ideal width.

IMG_20170709_120339.jpg

Many pictures of the front and back showing the overhang? Are you also using the 757 Footpack with these?

• 2 years later...

I bought the 127mm bars but for there is not enough adjustment room between the clamps for the rear bar as the roof rails are closer together at back of the car (2016 model). It does tighten but must be putting stress on the rails, so I would stick with recommended 117mm bars. 

• 5 months later...

joining in here also; need roofbars in time to collect xmas tree in a few weeks :) oh and to bring bikes around the place too, but priorities eh :)

Was considering the 127cm bars to space out 4 bikes a touch, but only concern is that posted by irvworth that the rear bars are narrower spacing and the clamps may run into the end of the adjustment channel underneath the bars. Presume I could cut out a cm or so if need be but would prefer not to have to do so -

Was looking to get the thule 710400 raised rail feet and the wingbars (711320)

Would anyone please be able to tell me the minimum distance that the feet can be apart (i.e. how far in can each clamp slide towards the centre of the bars?)

Many thanks

Ken

(MkIII octi combi, 2020 pre mk4)

Edited by kenmc

The distance the feet can be apart is fixed by the roof rail isn't it?

I realise the slightly increased load capacity of the wider bars is good, but they look a bit odd stuck out so far in my opinion. Mine measure 118cm (bar) and 123cm (bar with plastic ends). Still plenty of width for many Christmas trees! 

IMG_20190805_125645.jpg

IMG_20201103_135537.jpg

1 hour ago, Swirly182 said:

The distance the feet can be apart is fixed by the roof rail isn't it?

I realise the slightly increased load capacity of the wider bars is good, but they look a bit odd stuck out so far in my opinion. Mine measure 118cm (bar) and 123cm (bar with plastic ends). Still plenty of width for many Christmas trees! 

Thanks for that Swirly. Yes, the distance is fixed by the rails; what I meant is, on the bars, themselves, what is the minimum distance achieveable between the clamps; if this is greater than that of the rails then obviously will not work. If it is significantly less, then there's enough scope for adjustment. Your rail clamps seem to be very "deep" relative to the bars - from the front-on photo it looks like there's around 60-65% of the bar length between the ends of the 2 clamps, which would probably lead to the groove not being sufficiently deep on the 127s.

I measure the rails inner surfaces being 91cm apart at the narrowest (rear) and 97cm at the widest (front).

I've an old pair of 108s from previous car lying around and their 'clamp groove' is about 20cm each side. Assuming that all bars have 20cm groove each side, then the

- 118s have 78cm minimum spacing

- 127s have 87cm minumum spacing - which only leaves 2cm each side for the clamp to extend past the inside of the rails which is a bit tight.

Might just have to bite the bullet for 118s.Now to decide do I fork out for the blacks or settle for silver......

Edited by kenmc

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased  the Thule 127cm aerobars and the 757 footpacks (feet?) and fit perfectly. The rear (narrower rails) one still has plenty of adjustment before either of the feet run up against the groove on the underside of the bars.

• 1 year later...

Since this is the most complete topic/thread about the size of the roof bars, I decided to ask here :) Would the 4x bike racks fit on 120cm aero bars or 127 cm is the choice I'm looking for? Thanks! 

Edited by fr1nklyn