Running in.

I know these days running in is not supposed to be required but as per another thread. After a 10 mile drive home from picking the car up. The next journey will be a long haul down to Devon. Other than checking the tyre pressures, is there anything else to do / avoid on a long journey with a brand new car. It's a 2.0 150hp 4x4 dsg, btw.

Footnote. I hope it's not an omen but my autocorrect changed dsg to dog. :o

Don't over rev, and more importantly don't under-rev and labour the engine.

Try to vary the engine speed and load a little, don't just engage cruise and sit there at constant revs/speed.

That's probably the best thing you can do, go on a long drive straight away.

• Like 1

Enjoy the car.

Check the levels as the car is new, Oil & coolant as it is from the PDI.

Run in / Drive in the Tyres, they are new / green so give them time, 

Check the tyre pressures, set them as per your load and then reset the TPMS.   Tyre pressures as they are will tell you if the technician bothered to check.

Run in / Drive in the brakes, all that newness and tightness can mean brakes heating a bit,

if you just respect the tyres, brakes suspension etc then the engine will be getting run in just fine after all the UK NSL's are not high.

PS.

The owners manual has information on 'Running in' / 'driving in' as sometimes the lost in translation from German to CZ, to Spanish to English calls it.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

If you like giving the car a bit of work then go for it, running in nowadays is more about varying the load and speed within certain limits to allow components to bed in.

Ian

• Like 1

As many have said vary the revs/load but don't push it beyond 2/3 revs until 600+ miles.

With the DSG I find selecting sport in the drive mode in the infotainment helps as the Kodiaq shifts very early otherwise.

Don't use the S mode on the "stick", for some reason that holds onto the revs regardless, whereas setting in the infotainment does change relative to throttle input.

Edited by Mr Grump
typo
  • Like 1

2/3 rpm will make not much difference as the pistons and cam / crank etc go up and down or round and round exactly the same distances, 

the only thing is taking it easier allows everything a bit easier a start in life and the driver to pick up on any issues.

You will find that very few Demonstrators, Management car will get much running in for the 3 months / 3,000 miles that Skoda UK own them.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies chaps. It was never going to be thrashed or laboured.................intentionally. I wondered if there was any problems with changing up or down on the gearbox 'manually' so to speak, other than the obvious ones stated previously. I've been reading all the threads on the dsg gearbox and apart from a few idiosyncracies, all reports seem favourable.

2 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

2/3 rpm will make not much difference as the pistons and cam / crank etc go up and down or round and round exactly the same distances, 

the only thing is taking it easier allows everything a bit easier a start in life and the driver to pick up on any issues.

You will find that very few Demonstrators, Management car will get much running in for the 3 months / 3,000 miles that Skoda UK own them.

But demo's and management cars aren't subject to the care some of us like to treat our own belongings with ;) 

42 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Are people reporting idiosyncracies with the 7 speed wet clutch DSG's that Kodiaqs have?

Surely not!

Like driving a dodgem, simples.

I meant the dsg's in general. I've heard nothing about the Kodiaq dsg's.

Mr Grump,

every Ex Demonstrator will become someones pride and joy and thousands of squids will be paid for it.

Some will be better running cars and prove worth being keepers compared to those driven like Driving Miss Daisy from 15 miles ones.

No ones advocating driving like miss daisy, certainly not I.

But on the same token, being hammered from delivery miles on isn't good either.

Most demos will have have had some abuse, you pays yer money and takes yer chances on ex-demos.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bignij said:

Thanks for all the replies chaps. It was never going to be thrashed or laboured.................intentionally. I wondered if there was any problems with changing up or down on the gearbox 'manually' so to speak, other than the obvious ones stated previously. I've been reading all the threads on the dsg gearbox and apart from a few idiosyncracies, all reports seem favourable.

Don't worry about it and don't overthink it - do all the things you would before going on any long trip and then just drive normally

• Like 1

Running the engine hard from day one won't kill it, just make sure it is fully warmed through before you give it the beans. When I was working in agriculture I got a brand new tractor, 1 hour on the clock. The first job I did with it was with a machine called a power harrow. Any one who is in the know will know that is a power hungry implement. For the first 10 hours of it's life, it was on that job running flat out producing full power, within an hour there was smoke pouring out from under the bonnet from the paint burning off the exhaust manifold. The only problem I had with that was with the injection pump after about 3 months. Apart from that, I never had a spot of bother over 6500 hours of use, never had to top up the oil between 200 hour services.

Ian

• Like 1

"Run in engine
During the first 1,500 km, the driving manner determines the quality of the
running in process on a new engine.
During the first 1,000 km, the engine should not be charged with more than
3/4 of the maximum permitted engine revs and without the trailer.
In the area of 1,000 to 1,500 kilometres, the engine load can be increased up
to the maximum permitted engine speed."

Škoda Kodiaq manual, page 211.

Good running-in will reduce engine oil consumption and increase fuel effieciency.

Edited by McGyles

On 14. 6. 2017 at 23:13, Bignij said:

I know these days running in is not supposed to be required but as per another thread. After a 10 mile drive home from picking the car up. The next journey will be a long haul down to Devon. Other than checking the tyre pressures, is there anything else to do / avoid on a long journey with a brand new car. It's a 2.0 150hp 4x4 dsg, btw.

Footnote. I hope it's not an omen but my autocorrect changed dsg to dog. :o

All engines require a run-in period. Because people think modern engines don't, they overstress the engine when new and it requires oil fill ups between services later on. That's why it's considered "normal" by dealers  and won't be fixed under warranty if your engine starts drinking 2L of oil between services. More than that indicates a serious issue, but after a proper run-in it shouldn't need oil topping between services.

Only select high performance engines have a factory run-in procedure.

It wouldn't be bad to read the manual....

Here it is explained BUT he is only partly right, because combination of modern engine tolarances AND improper engine break-in lead to increase oil consumption! (Those who buy Holden/Opel don't read manuals either)

Edited by McGyles

No it will not be fixed by the dealer or Skoda or VW Group if using 2 litres between services even if 15,000 km fixed services. 

Because VW Group says for every engine, Petrol or diesel 3,4,5,6,8,12 cylinders, 44kw up.

'May use 0.5 litres 1,000km',  more in the first 5,000km etc.  High Mountain Passes in summer towing Hannibal's Elephants etc.

Reading the manual is a very good idea, but remember VW Group admitted to courts in the USA that they lie, cheat and defraud.

Nobody accepts having to top up 7 litres of oil in 15,000 km and then service the car and fit a new filter and new oil, 

but Dealership Staff try saying 'Within Tolerances'.  

REMEMBER AND CHECK THE OIL AND COOLANT LEVEL WHEN YOU COLLECT THE CAR, WHEN YOU GET HOME, AND AS YOU RUN IY IN OVER THE NEXT 3,000 MILES OR SO.

VW dropped DAS AUTO,

AUDI were full of it with Vorsprung durch technik.   

This is the new mission statement.

cover+your+arse.png

Edited by Awayoffski

13 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Reading the manual is a very good idea, but remember VW Group admitted to courts in the USA that they lie, cheat and defraud.

Nobody accepts having to top up 7 litres of oil in 15,000 km and then service the car and fit a new filter and new oil, 

but Dealership Staff try saying 'Within Tolerances'.  

If you bought their car, YOU SHOULD read their manual, because if something is wrong due to improper use and is listed in the manual as wrong you wont get it fixed under warranty!

If you believe you are being lied to by a specific corporation, don't buy their products :P

If I have to top up ANY oil during serivces before the engine reaches 150k km is for me unaccaptable. They design the engine with specific oil capacity for a reason - to last between services withouth needing oil added.

VW has had problems in the USA due to:

- their NOx limitations are 50% lower than EU6 (targeting diesel engines), you can't echieve this withouth SCR

- VW had problems with their PD engine technology and reverted back to CR with the EA189 (scandal engine), this was a major setback, causing them to fall back in diesel engine development compared to MB and BMW, because they didn't have time to manufacture a proper diesel engine that meets the US standards

- they were expanding in the US market

Now funny thing is, you can buy a BMW, MB, VW and Audi almost 50% cheaper there between 2005 and 2015. They did this to flood their car market with their products, to gain customers which will pay the full price for cars later on. This included using outdated models, cheaper materials and old engines to be sold as new cars in USA. In 2007 you could have bought a new BMW x5 there for arround 40k euros while the same car here was 80k euros. In germany still a BMW M6 will set you back about 140k euros, while only 90k euros in the USA. If they wanted to reach those prices they had to use inferior materials and outdated technology, which from my perspective is a "stupid move" to be playing like that and their intend on dominating the world car market and false and greedy goal. 

I'm not defending the VW AG for what they did, i'm just saing everybody lies, VW just got cought.

Maybe go read the Octavia Mk2 section, the Fabia MK2 section pinned threads on 'Engine Failures' Euro 5 1.8, 2.0tsi & 1.4TSI Twinchargers.

VW Group are the corporation of 3 Monkeys & Mushrooms.

'Shovel them sh!te and keep them in the dark'.

VW Group Main Dealership Sales staff should read owners manuals and remember those Demonstrators and VW Group owned Management cars they have in their care for 3,000 miles / 3 months need 'Running in', Oil checking and topping up before the 'Low oil Light' or message comes on.

PS

? Did they design a 1.4TSI / TFSI with the oil capacity of 3.6 litres to last 9,400 miles, 

and was there some Fundamental Design that the Low Oil light might not show or Low Oil massage before the oil is over 1.5 litres low, maybe 2 litres low, sometimes 'Low oil pressures' shows before the low oil.

Hard to defend VW Group really, Dr Martin Winterkorn was the Engineers Engineer supposedly, 

lets see when they get him into some court.

Edited by Awayoffski

Those were the petrol chain ones, where the tensioner failed ?

I completly agree with you, VW isn't what it used to be. All i'm saying is BMW and MB are the same, just didn't get cought in any scandals and they can afford to spend more on R&D due to the pricetag of their cars, which is inflated by 30%. It's funny how Porsche has the highest revenue of all the car manufacturest when they make the least ammount of cars - means they earn more from each car -> you get skimmed.

EDIT: Porsche even admited that anything else than their top models like 911 are actualy VW under the hood, that's why they have been dragged into this scandal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-18/porsche-drivers-fume-where-s-our-vw-diesel-payout

Imagine buying a Porsche, paying top dollar and finding out it's only a pimped golf/tuareg :P

Edited by McGyles

Do you know of Euro 5 / 6 TDI oil users even those that never were run in?.

I just know of Ad-Blue users now, and before these Euro 6 ones the ones that were not using Ad-blue as they should because of Defeat Devices.

Mercedes as well as VW Group SCR's.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

VW Group 3 monkeys example.

Edited by Awayoffski

This is why i am with Škoda. I believe Škoda isn't a budget brand, but more a brand of cars that have been tested by Audi and VW drivers in 2-4 years time, so i hope their faults are ironed out :P

Problem is that with car brands they don't properly test their designs to save money, it's just another indication of their greed.

Edited by McGyles
  • Like 1

Well as a long time buyer & sometimes owner of VW Group cars i believe that 'Paying Customers' are the Real World Road Testers and finders of penny pinching of mechanical parts.

So yes their greed and not prepared to address the simplest of snagging faults preferring to deny unless an Authority, Government, Court action forces them to take actions.

Preferring Service Campaign and Keep it secret service campaigns to Recalls, or Recall Actions.

Thank fully they make some crackers sometimes, and lemons can be bought cheap and fixed with simple Mechanical Engineering practices and tools.

(Latest not widely reported Service Campaign, 34H5 on DQ200 DSG 2013-2015 from some manufacturing plants.)

That follows on from the World Wide Recall excluding Europe on DQ200 2009-2013/14 & Service Campaign 34F7.