Hi there,

My car was on a variable service schedule and I was happily topping up with VW long life. After a service at a non Skoda garage I seem to be on a fixed service schedule. Does this mean I should start topping up with the VW 502.00 stuff? Does it matter?

Many thanks in advance

Phill

I would check your invoice to see what oil was put in at the service some garages put longlife oil in regardless of fixed or variable as they buy bulk drums my wife's seat Alhambra 1.9tdi always has longlife put in by our local Indy . 

Mine has longlife oil every 10k mile service. I supply my own oil and filter to the local indy garage. I also put longlife oil in when I change the oil and filter myself between services. I do like to change the oil very often. It does not of course need longlife oil, but I get it for a good price from TPS. TPS mentioned it does not really matter whether you use VW 502 or VW spec longlife. 

3 hours ago, PhillipAshley said:

Sounds like it doesn't matter, think I will just carry on topping up with long life :)

It will probably be a bit thirstier after its remap :)

Thanks for your comments

A remap can make the care more efficient and actually improve mpg depending on how you drive :thumbup:

4 hours ago, PhillipAshley said:

Sounds like it doesn't matter, think I will just carry on topping up with long life :)

It will probably be a bit thirstier after its remap :)

Thanks for your comments

There is a difference between what is a permissible oil (i.e. a choice between vw502.00 fixed or long life vw504.00 oil) and what specifically has actually been used in the car.  I suggest you ask the garage specifically what oil they used (maybe it is detailed on the invoice) and assuming it is an approved oil, to either of the 2 standards, I would match what is in there for top ups.

Sure, mixing oil for top ups is not going to make your car grind to a halt around the next corner but it will be suboptimal mixing different oils throughout the fixed service duration, especially if it uses a bit.