more noise!!!

New vrs tsi owner here. Love the car but i feel it is a bit too refined. I don't want simulated engine noise, i want the real thing. What are my options?

A few years back i had a focus mountune st with a milltek catback. Under normal driving it sounded oem but when the right foot was planted it was loud. I know i'm never gonna get the 5 pot noise back with the vrs but the vrs lacks drama

On 30/06/2017 at 16:22, leodis said:

New vrs tsi owner here. Love the car but i feel it is a bit too refined. I don't want simulated engine noise, i want the real thing. What are my options?

A few years back i had a focus mountune st with a milltek catback. Under normal driving it sounded oem but when the right foot was planted it was loud. I know i'm never gonna get the 5 pot noise back with the vrs but the vrs lacks drama

Totally agree.  My VRS sounds dull even compared to the standard Astra VXR I had previously. Even then, the VXR was painfully dull in sound in comparison to my mate's Focus ST.   The 5 pot burble is just lovely :D

The de facto upgrade for many is milltek but I can't help but think they're overpriced.  I've been looking at Jetex or even having a shop weld in a noisier centre section on mine, but the OEM exhaust is now 80k miles old so I may as well replace the whole cat back if I'm going to do anything...

I went here for a turbo back exhaust and am really happy with the results.  

http://www.tonybanks.co.uk/

The sports cat freed up a few more horses and then a custom map at RS Tuning (also in Leeds) has made the old barge quite a good all rounder.  The first silencer I had on was a bit too loud on the motorway and the drone was quite intrusive.  Having said that, I had a rattle develop in the back box and they made & fitted me a new quieter box at no extra charge.  Their lifetime guarantee gave me that peace of mind and even now, if I'm not happy they say I can go back to have things sorted out.

Edited by skinnyman

Does an induction kit free up a bit more noise? Not really bothered about any possible increase in power but a bit of growl would be nice. I tried opening the vrs up in a tunnel with the window down and it sounds like a 1.6 astra!

I was looking at the revo induction kit but its a hell of a lot of money for a foam cone filter with a bit of plastic to 'shield' the heat

I have a 12 plate 13 model Estate Auto. When i am cruising at around 50/60 then plant my boot down you do get a bit of a growl as the revs peak.

Looking for something which sounds better!

I don't want the Subura 2 bean cans welded noise?

Some thing a little more refined, and I don't want one involving major metal bending. Trying not to be too fussy!!!!!!

Any ideas guys? Trying to make the Green Machine a bit  sportier??

Ever thought of your car as a sleeper?

Noise would give it away.

Cars like VXR make it easy for the law to spot.

I think someone sells aftermarket with exhaust valve so you get the best of both worlds.

On 03/07/2017 at 23:30, leodis said:

On 04/07/2017 at 17:36, Old Blue said:

I have a 12 plate 13 model Estate Auto. When i am cruising at around 50/60 then plant my boot down you do get a bit of a growl as the revs peak.

Looking for something which sounds better!

I don't want the Subura 2 bean cans welded noise?

Some thing a little more refined, and I don't want one involving major metal bending. Trying not to be too fussy!!!!!!

Any ideas guys? Trying to make the Green Machine a bit  sportier??

Just answered my own question?

Fast Fit in Basingstoke have just opened a Longlife Custom Exhausts outlet.

200 tailpipe designs.

Pipe from engine to back box.

Phone 01256 321800.

Cant get over there yet as the Fffffffffffing DVLA are very very slow in giving me my licence back????? Medical not DD or like.

Got a 6 month ban and at 7 months and being High Priority still cannot get it back. What a shower of --------?

Costing me a mint? The Consultant has sent them a letter , via me 5 weeks ago to say I had not had a stroke as one of his dim witted colleagues had said I had. Obviously the plonker could not read a

an MRI scan. So I am Fubared??

Edited by Old Blue

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Had an offer for exhaust from a company in the north? Not much point as mega travelling involved. I went to Longlife in Basingstoke Cost £200. Was not keen on the sound so they changed it twice? The third time they took the middle box out and put smaller one in its place?

Sounded great except it was quite noisy/loud! Thingy in doors complained the noise was hurting her ears?? So decided to tone it down slightly?? As it seemed  to be quicker I decided to get it on a rolling road and see what it was like with this setup?

I took it to West Tune at Thruxton  Ind estate lots of racing saloon  and sports racers there?

Put on the road and in about 40 mins all finished?

The Boss Ray West said that my car was very quick!!! Standard setup is between 200bhp and the best VRS  he had in as standard was 205BHP. Mine was 223.7? It really shifts especially as its Auto. All you hear is a snick as it changes gear.

Well pleased as Its only a tuned exhaust? Ray said he could get 275 easily  out of my car? I declined, its plenty fast enough now for me, took it back to Longlife today and they fitted a back box to cut the sharp resonance down! sounds OK ! Got to wait until tomorrow to get Thingys approval??? Fat chance so it will stay as is??? Back box cost me £ 50 . Well pleased all round? Matt the exhaust fitter certainly knows his job?

• 5 months later...

Alternatively fit a torque arm performance Bush insert.

It hardens up the lower gearbox mount and stops the axle tramp.

Along with the increased ability to get the power down It also transmits  a little more engine noise and vibration to the subframe. So it sounds meatier and more powerfull with real engine stuff. not fake