vRS seat comfort

After 4 years and 35K miles in my 2012 VRs FL I have always found the comfort of the driver's seat excellent except for one factor.  On 26th November 2010 Skoda issued TPI 2024859/1 which referred to "deformation of the outer side part of the front seat back rest".  My car was manufactured in early 2012 but was still built with this fault.  When 3 months out of warrant I noticed that the outer upper bolster of the driver's seat was deforming inwards.  An internet search revealed that this was due to the weak shield of the side air-bag.  This can't be just a comfortable problem as if the shield is broken or displaced then the air-bag cannot deploy as designed.  Despite this being a fault known to Skoda for over 4 years before I reported it (and for over a year before my car was built) both the dealer and Skoda still insisted that I should pay over £300 for the seat to be repaired.  I believe that the repair includes the plastic shield being replace with a metal (aluminium?) item.

I have not had the repair carried out but have considered fitting a different seat.  My next car will not be a Skoda. 

Electric leather seats have tilt and height separated, you're right. They also can move in very little steps, motors are very precise, which is very difficult on mechanically adjustable seat.

I'm so confused why people complain. So much adjustments, everyone should be able to set comfortable position. Lumbar support moves in all directions and has huge amplitude, more then it makes sense.

• Like 1