Change from 140tdi 4x4 to 1.2 Tsi

survey

Just placed order for a 1.2tsi SEL manual with a few added extras. Took advantage of a dealer and Skoda deal. Our present tdi4x4 has covered 52000miles over it's 7 years and has been exceptionally reliable. Felt it was time to change over to petrol.

So, what sort of shock (if any) are we going to experience from this change?

Edited by john999boy

I have a 1.2 as my 3rd Yeti, first a 140 then a 1.8tsi (shark mapped so 200plus) and the 1.2 is just fine especially with the miraculous DSG  so although different it should be great

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JCP said:

I have a 1.2 as my 3rd Yeti, first a 140 then a 1.8tsi (shark mapped so 200plus) and the 1.2 is just fine especially with the miraculous DSG  so although different it should be great

Thanks  very much for this. The car is my wife's.  Both cars manual as she really dislikes autos. I have an auto MB coupe and she doesn't like the excellent auto on that- but is happy to drove it on authorities abroad!

I also swapped a 140 4x4 for a 1.2 tsi. I did miss the grunt of the 140 for a while but soon got used to the 1.2tsi .providing you give yourself a bit more time when overtaking and get used to the difference in power I am sure you will be happy with your purchase.

• Like 1

I had a 1.2 tsi yeti with dsg. The 1.2 is a great engine. Don't think you will be disappointed. Great torque from a relatively small petrol engine. I actually prefer a manual box having driven a dsg for some time, but thats just my personal preference. And of course it is much quieter than your diesel yeti. Given the weight difference between the two vehicles with driver only plus a passenger I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the 1.2 tsi performance.  Enjoy your new yeti.

• Like 1

Had a 1.2 TSI manual  for over two months now. Previous car was a 2.2TDI Honda CRV. Took four of us to France recently and really did not notice the difference, apart from less room to store the wine!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CJF said:

Had a 1.2 TSI manual  for over two months now. Previous car was a 2.2TDI Honda CRV. Took four of us to France recently and really did not notice the difference, apart from less room to store the wine!

That's really encouraging. Will be rather a change from our existing diesel with regard to fuel consumption and more frequent petrol station stops! 

• 2 weeks later...

For most A and B roads, and for whiffling round the grass-up-the-middle lanes, the 1.2Tsi (DSG) is quite happy.  I do miss the 140 2.0Tdi's punch that was sometimes helpful on 70mph roads, though, and am getting used to using 'S' for brisk acceleration situations. 

(High time for me to slow down a bit, anyway... :huh:)

40 minutes ago, Brijo said:

For most A and B roads, and for whiffling round the grass-up-the-middle lanes, the 1.2Tsi (DSG) is quite happy.  I do miss the 140 2.0Tdi's punch that was sometimes helpful on 70mph roads, though, and am getting used to using 'S' for brisk acceleration situations. 

(High time for me to slow down a bit, anyway... :huh:)

Well, we shall see. The 140tdi is excellent and I am sure I will miss it. Collect the 1.2tsi next week. Just hope that we shall not regret the change.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

Did you try a 1.2 first?

We did some time ago and I recall that I was surprised at the power available from what I had thought was a very small power unit. The car is essentially my wife's and on this occasion she was keen to update her diesel yeti so went ahead.

Must admit I'm still one of those that find it hard to accept that these small power units provide sufficient power, particularly in cars like the Yeti.

Next car is more than likely to be petrol and I'm going to go for the biggest petrol available, which if VWG, will be the new 1.5 TSI. the Tiguan has the 2.0 TSI but only available with DSG and 4WD which I don't really want. The 1.5 should be more than adequate.

We're on our 4th Yeti and our 2nd 1.2 DSG.  The other two Yetis were both 140 TDis.  At 12 months old this Yeti has just taken us on our third trip to Austria and coped just as well as my previous Yetis and our Superb 170 TDI DSG 4 x 4 did.

They are truly great cars.

John

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jst_at_home said:

We're on our 4th Yeti and our 2nd 1.2 DSG.  The other two Yetis were both 140 TDis.  At 12 months old this Yeti has just taken us on our third trip to Austria and coped just as well as my previous Yetis and our Superb 170 TDI DSG 4 x 4 did.

They are truly great cars.

John

Very reassuring indeed. I hope that we are pleasantly surprised when the car is collected!

I don't regret my change, at the beginning of this year, from a Black Edition (2.0TDI DSG 4x4) to my 1.2TSI SE L DSG *but* I have found that it doesn't put it's power down onto the road at all well. I'm not a fast driver (nowadays) but I am forever spinning the front wheels when I pull off from a junction. I don't have any confidence in pulling out into traffic unless I have got a lot of room to do so. I put it down to less weight on the wheels, the hesitant drive take-up by the DSG and perhaps the Nexens that the car came with. Of course it has nothing whatsoever to do with my driving!

5 minutes ago, longedge said:

I don't regret my change, at the beginning of this year, from a Black Edition (2.0TDI DSG 4x4) to my 1.2TSI SE L DSG *but* I have found that it doesn't put it's power down onto the road at all well. I'm not a fast driver (nowadays) but I am forever spinning the front wheels when I pull off from a junction. I don't have any confidence in pulling out into traffic unless I have got a lot of room to do so. I put it down to less weight on the wheels, the hesitant drive take-up by the DSG and perhaps the Nexens that the car came with. Of course it has nothing whatsoever to do with my driving!

It will be interesting to see if our forthcoming car with its manual gearbox exhibits the hesitant take-up!

45 minutes ago, survey said:

Very reassuring indeed. I hope that we are pleasantly surprised when the car is collected!

I would add that our Austria trip had three adults on board and a roof box.  Overall mpg was 44 with individual,trips showing as much as 68 mpg.  Cruising at 70mph also no problem.

On 20/07/2017 at 11:00, survey said:

Well, we shall see. The 140tdi is excellent and I am sure I will miss it. Collect the 1.2tsi next week. Just hope that we shall not regret the change.

Collected car a couple of days ago. Surprised at the responsiveness of the engine. Fuel consumption also seems very promising. 

On 20/07/2017 at 15:08, survey said:

It will be interesting to see if our forthcoming car with its manual gearbox exhibits the hesitant take-up!

It's entirely a DSG thing. If I try to pull away quickly then I always spin the wheels. I'm never certain how quickly I'll get into the stream of traffic. It's the only negative thing I would say about DSG - I really wouldn't swap.

8 hours ago, longedge said:

It's entirely a DSG thing. If I try to pull away quickly then I always spin the wheels. I'm never certain how quickly I'll get into the stream of traffic. It's the only negative thing I would say about DSG - I really wouldn't swap.

I got my 1.2L DSG Yeti last night and I tried to recreate the wheel spin, but couldn't! Perhaps it is only when the ground is wet? I put my foot hard to the floor and there wasn't really any hesitation, the car just pulled away smoothly and pretty fast. I guess it could depend on the road surface in general and the incline?

8 minutes ago, gman88667733 said:

I tried to recreate the wheel spin, but couldn't!

I'd be interested to hear if I'm the only one who finds this. I wonder if my experience is down to tyres - Nexen - but it certainly happens regularly if I pull away quickly even on the flat and with no more than normal loose grit lying around.

I'm on good terms with the salesman I deal with who lives near me. I might ask him to take it out for a spin and see what he thinks.

longedge,

what tyres fitted & set at what pressures.

It does make a difference as does just how you mash the throttle or just start a bit of a move then go since if you do get spin then the TC can cut in, or just the traction is lost and the TC does not even react.

EDIT, sorry you posted as i did.

So Nexen is part of the issue, so what pressure are they at?

Edited by Awayoffski

2 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

so what pressure are they at

This is the point where I hang my head in shame :blush - I'll be able to answer that when I've checked later.

• Like 1

Is your car new.?

Tyres need run in as do brakes etc, and you really need to distrust PDI set tyre pressures.

Check and set as soon as you collect a car, reset the TPMS.

What the tyres pressures are as a car is handed over gives an indication of how the PDI might have been done.

Please post back later what the pressures were at.