2012 octavia vrs 2.0TSI FL - water pump on the way out ?

Need to pick your brains guys.  I have a 2012 octavia VRS 2.0 TSI (1Z chain driven TSI) and I have lost coolant very slowly during the last 4 months ... It's dropped from Max down to Min and then half way down again - a total of 300ml only over the last 4 months.

Now, I can't see any coolant on the ground (I put cardboard under the car) nor was there any coolant on the plastic covers when my local mechanic checked out the pipes for leaks/cracks etc.

Pressure test showed a slight drop in pressure overnight, but the mechanic thinks that is because of the loose seal of his gauge on the coolant bottle.  No scum in coolant bottle and no milky engine dipstick.

The car only has 38,000 KMS on it and I have read quite a lot of other threads of missing coolant and dodgy water pumps but can't sasy for certain that it is definitely the pump.  Anyone with a similar experience that can point me in the right direction ?

Has he totally ruled out head gasket, checked for bubbling in water while running, etc etc.

Not too sure what else to suggest, if everything has been checked and no signs of coolant anywhere even on a cold engine?.

Maybe get yourself a coolant pressure tester or take to another mechanic and see if it drops on their pressure tester.  Water pump is a possibility but you wouldn't want to change it speculatively. AFAIR, It is a bit of work to get to as I understand, inlet manifold off, or at very least throttle body and pipework. Imagine the part is not super cheap either.  Failing that, keep an eye on things, monitor closely and wait for it to get worse.  Always a risk though it will catch you out at a very inconvenient time or if it worsens unnoticed could cook an engine!

We had a Punto years ago, and it kept losing coolant and overheating. There was never any pool of coolant around the rad, but we did notice a bit of fluid well underneath the car one day, and it transpired that the fluid was escaping from the heater pipes.

I'm hoping it is not the heater pipes or head gasket that's for sure ...

No coolant anywhere obvious with car up on hoist and plastic guards off.. 

I've got it booked into the dealer, not sure what they will find at this stage. Just going to let them know it's loosin coolant and they can investigate. 

EA888 engines have tricky water pump unit, which incorporates yet thermostat and temperature sensor, especially its shaft sealing fails quite often and coolant drips through drainage hole then ...

Pump mounted on front of the engine block under inlet manifold. Check it around it, I am 90% sure it´s that, you will see red residuals from coolant around it.

Look at page 32 (others too :cool:) of this SSP for details (2.0 TSI have same pump as 1.8 TSI)

SSP401_1.8L_TFSI_Engine_16V.pdf

and to give you yet something related to 2.0, here is another SSP for CCZA

SSP436_2.0L_TFSI.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks rayx, I have downloaded those two manuals and added to my collection of VAG literature LOL

I already had the 2.0 TSI SSP and as you have mentioned, the water pump is the same as for the 1.8T .

It has been a rather slow leak, but a leak nevertheless.  The dealer will probably charge me the diagnostic fee anyway since that's they only way to confirm for sure if there is or isn't an issue with the water pump and I guess I am willing to pay it to get peace of mind.

Might hopefully get lucky with a goodwill claim but not counting on it.

• 2 weeks later...