Questions for TDI 190 owners

Today while driving I noticed a couple of things I've not noticed before and hope someone can confirm if this is the case;

when stationary, I tried it with handbrake on and off, in neutral (manual) the revs won't go higher that 3k even with accelerator floored.

Also just noticed on hard acceleration where is a strange almost raspy sound at around 2k rpm, car seems to pull ok but just not noticed the noise before.

Can anyone comment on the above?

47 minutes ago, LakesPuma said:

when stationary, I tried it with handbrake on and off, in neutral (manual) the revs won't go higher that 3k even with accelerator floored.

That is the rev limiter, or something like that. In my current Octavia VRS you have to switch ESP off, or to sport mode and then you can rev it up to the red line.
Or whyle the car is mooving in neutral.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the same rasping sound on mine. Acceleration doesn't have to be that hard either. It's not a big problem but I did bring it to the attention of my Skoda dealer at the first service. They claimed that they couldn't detect anything but I reckon they only listened in the service bay. It happens under load not in neutral and I did tell them that but they were either deaf, forgot or just ignored it. I've left it because I'm having the VCDS option changed so the engine management uses the Audi option rather than the Skoda in the next week or so and this may disappear as a byproduct of the change. I'll try and let you know.

I had read on this forum that the 190 has a harsher engine note than the 150 which is impressively smooth for a 4 cylinder diesel.

Is your dealer changing VCDS?  My dealer wouldn't touch it.  "We just repair cars, sir, not alter them."  So polite.

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...

If your stopped and want to say “pull away promptly” does the Rev liimter dissapear if the car is sat still but in gear with your foot on the clutch. 

I noticed mine only revs to about 2.5k I’m neutral but I’m pretty sure when I go to pull away I still only have 2.5k until we are moving 

Is the rattle behind the heater controls? Mine went in last week to have this sorted, they moved the heater pipes under a recall, sorted it no problem anymore.