Thoughts on 1.4 tsi SEL trim.

We currently drive an Octavia 1.6 TDi CR in SE trim. It’s the second one and follows a MK2 FL also in SE trim but with satnav.

Took the opportunity to try an Octavia Estate 1.4 tsi in SEL trim as part of the 72 hr test dive Skoda is running. Car came with lots of extras fitted so it was a great chance to try these out as our next car may be a 1.4 tsi in SEL trim.

For what it’s worth some thoughts following the test drive.

Great little engine. Car only had 16 miles on the clock so had to be fairly gentle ! We covered about 500 miles over the 72 hours. Edinburgh through Glencoe, Fort William,along Loch Laggan and back via Pitlochry, Loch Tummel and Loch Tay. Over Glen Ogle and home via Callander.

Engine very responsive, so smooth and quiet compared to our diesel. Good mid range pick up for getting passed all the tourists ! Gearbox 6 speed manual light and fairly snappy.

Electric leather seats, nice but not worth the money.

Blind spot detection, handy but it’s got mirrors.

Lane assist, could be good if most driving was on motorways, just not for me.

Auto Parking, just never really got the chance to try it out. Expensive.

Front and rear parking sensors. Great and work well.

SatNav, very good and easy to use.

8 inch screen is just brilliant, very clear, good graphics and very responsive.

Adjustable boot floor, worked well and handy.

Auto led lights and wipers worked as they should.

Active Cruise Control, is the one must have extra for me. Just worked so well, a pleasure to use.

Averaged about 44 mpg overall with the last 90 miles showing 50.3 mpg on the maxidot. For a new engine I think it was pretty economical. Driven briskly and smoothly !

Car supplied by Skoda via West End Garage, Edinburgh.

Got the Superb booked next at the end of August.

IMG_20170710_111229_791.jpg

IMG_20170709_095045320_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170709_095036547_HDR.jpg

Edited by fergiet
added photo
  • Like 3

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the green leaf symbol and 61 figure mean?  I assume it's something on newer or better than SE models? Just curious.

1 hour ago, IanMary said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the green leaf symbol and 61 figure mean?  I assume it's something on newer or better than SE models? Just curious.

Its a Green Driving indicator. 0-100 is the range. 

..thanks for this thread and clarifying the SEL spec. I am in the process of looking for 1 newer 1.4 SEL spec to replace our current 122hp 1.4tsi. before that  had Octavia diesels and I found the 1.4 a real surprise...in everyday driving I don't notice any real difference in performance between the small petrol and the larger diesel. The petrol pulls really well from 1500 rpm and is much smoother and quieter, and fuel economy is about the same (45mpg actual).

I originally wanted an elegance spec but as per my recent post I now understand they don't do this model anymore...so I am still looking...

5 hours ago, fergiet said:

Blind spot detection, handy but it’s got mirrors.

You do realise that's the whole point of Blind Spot detection... It's to warn you there's something beside you in that bit you can't see in the mirrors :blink:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ahenners said:

You do realise that's the whole point of Blind Spot detection... It's to warn you there's something beside you in that bit you can't see in the mirrors :blink:

Thanks, yes I know what it does. It will also apply the brakes when reversing if a bump is about to happen. I did say it was "handy" but at £385 of my own money I don't know if I would pay for it.

Now if it was standard fit that would be great.

The ACC is one option that I would pay for. But I suspect it will become standard fit over time. The new Civic has it as standard.

41 minutes ago, fergiet said:

Thanks, yes I know what it does. It will also apply the brakes when reversing if a bump is about to happen. I did say it was "handy" but at £385 of my own money I don't know if I would pay for it.

Now if it was standard fit that would be great.

The ACC is one option that I would pay for. But I suspect it will become standard fit over time. The new Civic has it as standard.

As you said, it is "handy" but the mirrors are not a substitute for this option - it's a substitute for checking over your shoulder. £385 is a few quid, but if I was keeping the car long term I'd be tempted by it.

ACC is the one option I wish I had... I commute on the motorway at peak times 5 days a week and it would be nice to not have to keep disabling cruise, or adjusting the speed when there's traffic.

I already have the front radar so assume a retrofit would be possible with the correct knowhow. Don't think anyone has done it though.

If I was speccing from new if definitely take ACC.

Edited by ahenners

I agree about the ACC. Not getting another car 'till next year but ACC is a must. Of all the options it's the one I found very useful. Even on a manual car and that surprised me.

Front assist is also something I would want.

Thanks for all the information on your test drives and some of the extras to consider.  I will be in the market next year, 1.4 tsi and with dsg and the forum helps me to think about the pros and cons of each.

19 minutes ago, GBHam said:

Thanks for all the information on your test drives and some of the extras to consider.  I will be in the market next year, 1.4 tsi and with dsg and the forum helps me to think about the pros and cons of each.

If you're buying brand new, the 1.4 will have been phased out by then and replaced by the 1.5TSI. 

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 15:45, fergiet said:

We currently drive an Octavia 1.6 TDi CR in SE trim. It’s the second one and follows a MK2 FL also in SE trim but with satnav.

Took the opportunity to try an Octavia Estate 1.4 tsi in SEL trim as part of the 72 hr test dive Skoda is running. Car came with lots of extras fitted so it was a great chance to try these out as our next car may be a 1.4 tsi in SEL trim.

For what it’s worth some thoughts following the test drive.

Great little engine. Car only had 16 miles on the clock so had to be fairly gentle ! We covered about 500 miles over the 72 hours. Edinburgh through Glencoe, Fort William,along Loch Laggan and back via Pitlochry, Loch Tummel and Loch Tay. Over Glen Ogle and home via Callander.

Engine very responsive, so smooth and quiet compared to our diesel. Good mid range pick up for getting passed all the tourists ! Gearbox 6 speed manual light and fairly snappy.

Front and rear parking sensors. Great and work well.

Adjustable boot floor, worked well and handy.

Auto led lights and wipers worked as they should.

Active Cruise Control, is the one must have extra for me. Just worked so well, a pleasure to use.

Averaged about 44 mpg overall with the last 90 miles showing 50.3 mpg on the maxidot. For a new engine I think it was pretty economical. Driven briskly and smoothly !

Car supplied by Skoda via West End Garage, Edinburgh.

The 1.4TSI 140/150PS & now 1.5TSi are great engines, much more power than you think looking at the on paper specs...

As for specs, I had a similar problem, to get the engine & multilink rear suspension I had to get a high spec car which came with "other" stuff......after 2.5yrs I note the following:-

Radar cruise control:- I have used this so much on the A9 which has average speed cameras, works fine, & defo a must have now...

Sports seats:- I have a medium to slim build, & these are perfect, more supportive, & better for my back on long journeys.

Front & rear sensors:- great, but I also specced the rear camera....even better!

Adjustable boot floor, spends its live in high position, makes for loads of storage space under the floor & a near flat level load bay...

I'll not bore with the other stuff which is great...

On 15/07/2017 at 15:15, SC03OTT said:

If you're buying brand new, the 1.4 will have been phased out by then and replaced by the 1.5TSI. 

Hi Scott, thanks for that, checked it out after your info. So 1.5tsi is will be, I think as always wait for service pack one though.

And there are major changes to the engine. Miller/Atkinson cycle instead of the Otto cycle - well , according to a certain honest forum. 

Edited by gregoir
Grammar