Using driveways to turn around

Ryan90VRS

I live on a cul de sac, right at the end at the point where cars turn. In 41 years of living there I've seen it all, I've had posts knocked down hedges driven over people using my drive as a parking spot. I get the usual excuses, I didn't see the hedge/post or I didn't even know it was a driveway.

One driver more recently parked at the end of my drive then said when I asked them to move (I was actually returning home) said I never knew there was a house there. I replied yes it's that big brick thing just 30ft away, it's attached to this driveway just here (pointing)  to the dropped kerb and a nice line of paving slabs leading to my garage. I used to have a sign saying no parking access required, that went with the post which was attached to the fence, the kids damaged that one and the rest rotted away anyway. I think the kids have the cars now (probably not the same ones) and have learned to not give a dam about how they drive, common courtesy and all that.

I'm turning into a ranting old git :D

Oh and BTW I've had the gravel on the drive, gets everywhere, good old paving slabs everytime, they don't look pretty but serve a purpose.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2017 at 00:08, Ryan90VRS said:

Thinking about putting a chain up short term then a sentry gun long term. :D

I can help you with the sentry gun. You'd have something that looked like the MG42-based one out of Aliens, complete with GRiDCase laptop to run it... if that's satisfactory?

While I pride myself on being able to manage a 3-point turn in every non-tracked vehicle I've driven thus far, I have also had to use driveways before where the road really was that narrow. I wouldn't begrudge the occasional person doing it, so long as they were sensible and at least had sufficient control of their vehicle to avoid spinning gravel everywhere. Good manners, and all that.

• Like 1

I would (and do) flip.

We live at the top of a private access road and if both ours and our neighbours cars are on the driveway then there's no place to easily turn around, you have to reverse back down the access road or risk damaging the front end of our cars.  This however does not usually stop a select band of f00ktards who try to perform 'a turn in the road using forward and reverse gears' in a very small area.  

Luckily enough for us our neighbour is a cross between a Yorkshire Terrier and Hitler and she will come out of the house and stand in front of both our cars to ensure the perpetrators don't cause damage.  It's effective but bloody hilarious to witness.  

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/07/2017 at 23:07, Ryan90VRS said:

Grade A ****er. 

The reason I posted in the fist place was to get people's opinions on using people's driveways to turn around on. Majority of people agree it's wrong, except you because you're a tit. 

No need to hurl abuse Ryan thats not very chritian is it?

The reason you started this thread is because your having a hissy fit over them nasty people using your drive and because you failed to consider the consiquences of a cheep and nasty gravel drive.....

You wasted your money on the wrong drive and when somebody confronts you with the reality of the situation you do what every other baby does and starts name calling..

May I subjest two exstreemly sturdy steel posts and a length of Black cable 8mm minimum with woven eyelets each end..

The nasty people wont see the illusive cable and with a little luck will damage thier vehicles when attempting to tresspass on your propertaaaay...

Or you could just grow the hell up ???

Edit;

Oh and you assume my opinion then pass judgement on me being a tit...??

I have not as yet provided you with my personal opinion on using private driveways to turn around..

So why make that assumption???

I fully respect other peoples property and only at an extreme last minute carry out such a maneuver..

Edited by usedabused
Becauase I wanted to edit..

20 minutes ago, usedabused said:

You wasted your money on the wrong drive and when somebody confronts you with the reality of the situation you do what every other baby does and starts name calling..

May I subjest two exstreemly sturdy steel posts and a length of Black cable 8mm minimum with woven eyelets each end..

The nasty people wont see the illusive cable and with a little luck will damage thier vehicles when attempting to tresspass on your propertaaaay...

Think my judgement of character was spot on. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Any good at electronics?

LOS infrared on wall, trigger a flash gun, or a horn :D

It is a bit pants you want your space to be easy to use, not abused. Dad's driveway is used for all sorts. Was modified for a road improvement, now a parking spot for lots, or a turnaround. 

If you are putting a chain up, might be worth not attaching to the wall, because one day it will get tested and the wall will likely fail first. More hassle. 

Posts are a paff, get in get out, but... you only have to do it a few times and it seems the deterrent might be worth it in the long run. Don't know if foam ones exist you could just drive over :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ColinD said:

If you are putting a chain up, might be worth not attaching to the wall, because one day it will get tested and the wall will likely fail first. More hassle. 

Attach chain to wall, but put in a weak link at the end of the chain.

Strong enough to support the chain during everyday use - but weak enough to fail before the wall does.

Guest FurryFriend

Get a decorators plank. Drive a number of 3" nails through it. Once YOUR car/cars are parked. Put the board down at the front of your drive. 

It's YOUR property, not theirs. 

And NO...... I'm not kidding. Inconsiderate maggots like that deserve all they get. 

Edited by FurryFriend

9 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

Get a decorators plank. Drive a number of 3" nails through it. Once YOUR car/cars are parked. Put the board down at the front of your drive. 

It's YOUR property, not theirs. 

And NO...... I'm not kidding. Inconsiderate maggots like that deserve all they get. 

BE VERY CAREFUL about setting deliberate traps like this.

The law is very clear about setting these sort of gadgets if someone is injured. I'm not talking about cars using the drive as a turning bay being damaged, but injury to legitimate visitors such as Postmen, paper boys /girls, bin men, the blasted God Botherers hammering on the door trying to save your mortal soul, even trespassing small children.

Claiming they were trespassing won't help. Bear in mind that in England and Wales trespass is a Civil not a Criminal offence

We used to have a similar problem with our drive where people would use the drive as a turn-round because all the official turning points are used as parking spaces. Said people appeared completely unable to back cleanly into a drive - so ended up reversing over a low brick wall and right into our front garden. Solution - I solidly concreted a 100 mm square fence post (decorated) close into the garden corner and built up the garden around the base. From the few scars on the post it appears to have been effective in educating them to stop when they hear the bang (audible reversing alarm) No more damage to wall or garden. Result.    

On 7/21/2017 at 23:25, Ryan90VRS said:

I've just come across these. Clever idea but a bit tacky. 

drivewayspike-u-turn-22270.jpg

drivewayspike-u-turn-22271.jpg

OooooooH, I want some of them, what a great idea.

Guest FurryFriend
8 hours ago, BJM said:

BE VERY CAREFUL about setting deliberate traps like this.

The law is very clear about setting these sort of gadgets if someone is injured. I'm not talking about cars using the drive as a turning bay being damaged, but injury to legitimate visitors such as Postmen, paper boys /girls, bin men, the blasted God Botherers hammering on the door trying to save your mortal soul, even trespassing small children.

Claiming they were trespassing won't help. Bear in mind that in England and Wales trespass is a Civil not a Criminal offence

I obviously come from the rough end of the market mate. I don't care !  If I really wanted to sort them out I'd hire a JCB and dig a sink hole .....their car and the plank would both fit nicely.....AND they would get a good hiding.  I don't respect people who HAVE no respect. Why would I?:D:D

Edited by FurryFriend

I have this issue, we have metal gates which we close, hasn't stopped a neighbour impaling his transit van on it whilst ****ed. I did originally park my car in the entrance until the neighbour opposite reversed into the front of her, said he didn't see it!!! it's bloody nuclear green for Christ sake! ony way to really stop it is with automatic bollards (and I've looked into this) but it's a ballache to do

Put a bollard or three in made from 4x8 sleeper sections, they only need to be 20cm tall on the road side and 30cm tall on the garden side.

You'll get a nice selection of car bumpers, etc.

Sleepers are about £15 each

I know from phoning my local authority that I was allowed, without gaining consent and/or written permission that I could erect a collapsable bollard on my driveway.  As it's on a private road the highways agency and council have no authority at all.    I would have done this if we were staying in the house any longer but we move on Thursday so the new owners can do what they want.   As long as it was fitted within the boundary of the property, it was fine.  Otherwise my neighbours could take action against me. 

IF however my driveway was accessed via a public road/byway or right of way and my boundary was to a public area then this would be a different matter all together and I'd need to make a start on cutting the red tape.  I would defo not adopt a Charles Bronson approach to deterrents and such.  As infuriating as it is, you'd just be opening yourself up to legal issues, that will no doubt become expense and stressful.