Newbie wanting to upgrade Bolero unit in Scout 2010

Hi all,

Just got myself a lush Octavia Scout 2010 and the stereo needs upgrading!

I've been used to MP3 folder playback via USB, Bluetooth Iphone connection for calls and music etc on my old Sony head fitted in my old car

I'm looking for a unit that will fit easily in my car and keep the climate control/reverse sensor system working, plus give me Sat Nav, BlueTooth phone connection and also if possible USB music playback

I tried a chinese import but the SATNAV was dreadful and wouldn't do postcode search, the phone was super-quiet and music wasn't great

So prob looking for an 'official' upgrade to meet my criteria. Happy to buy secondhand

Can you lovely people point me in the right direction? The Columbus looks good? think I need an extra BT unit too though? Will I need a facia change?

Thanks all, much appreciated

I've installed this one:https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32702505291.html?spm=a2g0n.search-cache.0.0.70bc08b9KZgrbL

In use almost 3 troubleless months .Fits perfect,works better than OEM Swing with cristall clear and dense sound.It is "plug&play" stuff,which "reads" CAN bus of the car.It could be connected to the rear camera and also to the wi-fi,bluetooth and external usb devices.Works fine with "I go" road maps and many more "Android"apps.Innitialy on power on "Skoda"logo also pops up on the display.It was delivered in 7 days from China to my P.O.

Edited by zar
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion. The Android one I got which is going back used 'I go' - I tested it on the way home last night and it wasn't much cop compared with navmii on my IPhone I'm used to, kept telling me to keep left and go slightly right on normal stretches of roads :)

Think I'd rather stick to 'official' ones after this disappointment - thanks for the suggestion though :)

Your choices are either

1. A Skoda Amundsen + unit, but make sure the one you buy has Bluetooth built in, and also if possible get one with DAB radio. Not all Amundsen + units have these features so don't be fooled by people listing "Bluetooth Compatible" or suchlike as having Bluetooth.
  2. A Skoda Columbus unit and a separate Bluetooth module fitted to the car.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

Your choices are either

1. A Skoda Amundsen + unit, but make sure the one you buy has Bluetooth built in, and also if possible get one with DAB radio. Not all Amundsen + units have these features so don't be fooled by people listing "Bluetooth Compatible" or suchlike as having Bluetooth.
  2. A Skoda Columbus unit and a separate Bluetooth module fitted to the car.

does this one look ok? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131797415736?clk_rvr_id=1256696332194&rmvSB=true

bit concerned about it coming from Lithuania mind :(

Now see, that one has a listing which says it has Bluetooth, but then further down it states it's "Bluetooth compatible". That would tell me either the seller has no idea what he's selling, or he knows exactly what he's selling and is adding confusion by mentioning Bluetooth when it actually hasn't got it. It's also overly expensive, given that it doesn't have DAB. And the photos show a maps version of V4 which is well out of date. Updates for the Amundsen + are expensive.

This one shows the data sticker in the photo and it confirms the unit has Bluetooth (look for the Mac number being a genuine string of numbers rather than all zeros on the non Bluetooth ones). Shop wisely...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Now see, that one has a listing which says it has Bluetooth, but then further down it states it's "Bluetooth compatible". That would tell me either the seller has no idea what he's selling, or he knows exactly what he's selling and is adding confusion by mentioning Bluetooth when it actually hasn't got it. It's also overly expensive, given that it doesn't have DAB. And the photos show a maps version of V4 which is well out of date. Updates for the Amundsen + are expensive.

This one shows the data sticker in the photo and it confirms the unit has Bluetooth (look for the Mac number being a genuine string of numbers rather than all zeros on the non Bluetooth ones). Shop wisely...

Thanks very much, much appreciated. will this unit fit in exactly the same hole as my old Bolero? Or will I need to get a new facia? 

stereo.jpg

1 minute ago, Rustynuts said:

Or this one has DAB and Bluetooth.

I think I'll manage without DAB thanks as in the welsh valleys DAB is hard to come by! :)

1 minute ago, Rustynuts said:

You'll need a new fascia to suit the different shape of the Amundsen unit.

I've been trying to search for new facia and all seem to be from china, do you know of any can be had from here? Thanks again, very helpful

It's been covered a few times and I'm sure the part numbers are on the site somewhere. But the ebay ones from China are cheap enough (albeit perhaps not as good a colour match / fit as people might want), however, Briskoda parts might be able to supply you a genuine one for a good price.

As regards DAB. if you want to save a few quid by missing it off then fair enough, but I wouldn't buy the first one you linked without DAB when you can get one with DAB for a similar price.

• Like 1

thanks (yet) again

the second one with DAB (and with shipping) was £80 or £90 more than the one without DAB and 80% of my driving has no DAB access so a price worth saving i think, but I get where you are coming from

Do the Amundsen units have a built in Microphone for BT calls, or will I have to buy and fit one of those

Thanks again sir, you are being extremely helpful to a newbie

You'll need a microphone and cable which fits in the roof light and runs down to behind the head unit. Then you'll also need to site the GPS antenna which can be fitted in the dash area. Then there'll be some coding with VCDS to tell the car you have sat nave and phone etc. fitted and make sure it all works correctly. It's not plug & play.

dammit janet, this was so much easier in my old car - old stereo out, new one in (with adaptor) - job done

might just get a hands free kit and be done with it

thanks for all the advice though, its just starting to sound more and more like a beefy ball ache! :biggrin:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

It's not that hard. The complicated part is getting someone with VCDS to code it all for you, other than that it's trim removal and wiring hiding.

Its all making the tipping point of putting up with IPhone for sat nav and a handsfree kit, compared to sourcing someone with this knowledge, fitting it all and having the install fiddlyness a little un balanced - I'll have a good thunk at home and see how i feel.

Brownie points for you though sir, you have been a font of knowledge

To simplify it all a little for you.

Pop the trim off, remove 4 Torx T20 screws and remove the Bolero. Disconnect the aerial and quadlock connector. 5 minutes.

Site the GPS antenna in the dash area. 5 minutes.

Run the microphone through the rear of the steering column and up the A pillar to the centre of the rooflining. 15 minutes.

Clip in and attach the microphone. 5 minutes.

Connect the new Amundsen + unit to the aerial, gps antenna, microphone, and connect the quadlock connector. 5 minutes.

Screw the Amundsen + unit in place and refit the new trim. 2 Minutes.

Pay someone local with VCDS to code the whole lot. Beer money and maybe 30 minutes.

Overall, shouldn't take much more than an hour if you're handy with trim removal tools etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thingwnn said:

Brownie points for you though sir, you have been a font of knowledge

Rustynuts is your man! He's like the ask Jeeves of Amundsen and Columbus units (more Columbus :p)

i and many others on here have purchased from him.

• Like 3

I haven't given up completely on the idea, just compared to previous cars its a bit more work

I'll look in a mo around these forums a bit more and see if people are offering VCDS services (does this have to be done at same time as fitting unit? or could I fit it all beforehand?)

also need to look for what Microphone to order, do the amundsens take a standard jack microphone?

Plus will ask for new trim from Briskoda parts 

Got to weigh up time/costs also and its all a no-go if I can't find a helpful local S.Wales VCDS guru! :)

Thanks again :)

So this fits to the light in middle of top of windscreen in the car? Is there a vid somewhere or a guide I could follow to fit it? Sorry I'm being a bit needy! I'm happy fitting car stereos and done a few speaker fits, just need to know correct placement and routing of cables - I'm mighty impressed by how helpful you've been

OK - so bits ordered are starting to appear, including the Amundsen+ head unit (see pics), and the microphone bits plus GPS antenna

The GPS antenna looks to have the correct connection to go to the new blue port on the back of the head unit, but the connector for the microphone long cable to go into the back of the unit I can't see where it would go?

It sort of looks like it would fit bottom right? But the standard 2 connectors that go in the existing Bolero go here? Have I got the right connector???

I have a super-helpful forum member on here ( adamal ) who is going to assist me with install and coding, but I don't want to roll down to him to find I've got the wrong bit?

Can anyone confirm how the mic lead connects to the back of the amundsen?

Ta :)596f506b08004_IMG_43481.thumb.JPG.ed73d6219846253b3cdd11d456db908f.JPG596f510166c9d_IMG_43501.thumb.JPG.4abf1095986e6d670b16d766d2c0263c.JPG

IMG_4349[1].JPG