NOISE

I bought KODIAQ 4x2 and i`m very satisfied, but yesterday and today i can notice a small noise wile driving on 2nd shift on low torque.

it`s like two metals, grinding together.. or when you pres and release the pedal fastly...(like krrrrr) than it stops when i drive faster..

i have opened a case on authorized skoda distributor and now i am waiting for they response..

i`m a bit disappointed anyone had similar case?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the problem is on driving  3rd gear on low rpm (specialy 1400 rpm) while driving and pressing the gas pedal slowly you hear the noise, like two metal grinding and when you drive it faster, (rpm increasing) the noise disappears.

I can confirm the issue is also on another brand new KODIAQ. it could be Kodiaq series issue i`m not sure , we should see  .. but i can say that i`m very concerned.

On the Authorized Skoda Service, they replaced DSG and after that they said its normal. why would they replace on the first if it was normal? so wired!

• 3 months later...

I know it sounds mad but i had a similar issue with an Octavia i spent hours under the car looking for a heat shield loose or the like. The noise would only happen when throttle was eased off when the car was under slight engine braking all at low speed. i could feel the noise in the cabin it turned out that the flow and return diesel pipes where vibration on the bulk head.

• 1 month later...

I had this noise of scraping metal. Happened under increased acceleration, would then stop as the speed increased. I had a hunch it might be the propshaft rubbing on something. Based on the fact the 4 wheel drive engages on demand. Accelerating harder would do this. I managed to slide under the car and noticed towards the rear section of the propshaft 2 pieces of heat shield join above the it. On mine the sheild was sitting on the shaft. They only clear the prop by 1cm normally. It was immediately visible because the shield had removed a 5mm wide ring of black paint from the propshaft, Luckily the metal itself was not scored. With a gently push it bends back into place and the noise is cured. Noting the noise was intrusive and sounded like an issue with the DSG box. Not suggesting this is your issue but thought I'd put the suggestion to you.

Hi jasoncmiles, thanks for the info. In fact, my Kodiaq is not 4WD, so the noise source can't be the same as yours. I wish it was because it would be easier to solve with the information you have provided.

17 hours ago, cnc said:

Although the original poster here has a 4Motion it does sound like the same (or very similar) issue

https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1583

Yes, I had already looked at that. This problem also affects VW Tiguan, in fact my Skoda dealer is also VW dealer and was aware of this issue with the VW Tiguan. Seems like VW is having a hard time finding a definitive solution. Dealer requested me to wait for another month.

Hi Everyone

My wife purchased KODIAQ DSG around 3 months ago, For the first 3500km it was the perfect car. 

Last week it also started to have this noise during acceleration on lower gears, mainly at speed less than 20kms. Once the car picks up speed it drives normal. 

I'm going to ring up Skoda Mt Gravatt tomorrow and bring the car in for them to take a look. 

Hopefully everyone else has solved their issue. 

21 minutes ago, pm85 said:

Hi Everyone

My wife purchased KODIAQ DSG around 3 months ago, For the first 3500km it was the perfect car. 

Last week it also started to have this noise during acceleration on lower gears, mainly at speed less than 20kms. Once the car picks up speed it drives normal. 

I'm going to ring up Skoda Mt Gravatt tomorrow and bring the car in for them to take a look. 

Hopefully everyone else has solved their issue. 

Hi, I believe this issue has no solution from dealer yet. Anyway, if you have it solved, please let us know the solution.

Thanks.

My wife is the 'unfortunate' owner of a VW Tiguan 190ps R-Line - 4 Motion with a well documented issue with the Drivetrain, details of which are here -; https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1583

Just to clarify the noise issue only occurs upon downshifting, driving in low gears 1-4 up to 20-30 mph and constant driving in 5 gear up to 40 mph. There is no noise upon acceleration in any gear. 

YouTube Link -; Apologies as the sound was taken using iphone so you may have to turn the volume up on your PC!!.........Listen at 5 seconds, 35 seconds, 49 - 55 seconds, 1m 5seconds - 1m 12 seconds, 1m 25 seconds - 1m 40seconds, 1m 45seconds - 1m 52 seconds and 2m - 2m 20 seconds

I have on my wife's behalf explored every avenue with VW and the selling dealer in order to conclude the concerns we have with the Drivetrain of her Tiguan to no avail. We have escalated the issue to the Motor Ombudsman for which we are awaiting a final response, pending the outcome will determine if we escalate to a legal dispute.

The truth of the matter is that VW are aware of the issue but do not have a fix.

In my opinion it is not good enough for VW to state that the noise issue is a 'characteristic' or 'normal operation' when so many owners utilising the same Drivetrain set up report no noise whatsoever. VW have declined to confirm where the noise is emanating from, why and which component is responsible, the withholding of the aforementioned information says a lot about the morals of this motor manufacturer, reprehensible attitude which does not instil any confidence in their products and their statement that there is nothing to worry about.

My research has identified that the noise issue is being reported in many countries which makes me believe that VW are withholding information for reasons of further brand detriment. On top of the emissions scandal and a massive recall of 1.6 million DSG gearboxes in 2013 the last thing VW need is another DSG recall! 

i would suggest before wasting any time on legal, report to car magazine, i have red many times carbuyer's stories, they get involved and last thing VW wants another publicity on issues, it would make the case even more powerful if several members team up

i.e. http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/154617/watchdog-anger-bubbles-over-in-vauxhall-paint-dispute 

Hi Vadimo

I have reported the issue to car magazines, forums and commented on many social networks, unfortunately to no avail hence the reason for appointing legal representation. 

VW are not remotely interested or bothered as they know they will weather this slight irritation just like they did with the previous DSG recalls and Emissions scandal!

5 minutes ago, GTD184 said:

Hi Vadimo

I have reported the issue to car magazines, forums and commented on many social networks, unfortunately to no avail hence the reason for appointing legal representation. 

VW are not remotely interested or bothered as they know they will weather this slight irritation just like they did with the previous DSG recalls and Emissions scandal!

I see. Potentially there might be another recall if your issue is widespread enough ? Is this PCP?

34 minutes ago, vadimo said:

I see. Potentially there might be another recall if your issue is widespread enough ? Is this PCP?

This issue is widespread as I am aware of vehicles in Singapore, Australia, Portugal, Iceland and the UK that have the same Drivetrain noise issue. It is simply not good enough to fob customers off with the "Characteristic" excuse!......it is nothing more than poor manufacturing  processes and/or engineering!

I get the impression that VW are fobbing customers off with lame excuses as they know they have no fix and if enough customers complain (in china 350,000 did before VW took notice!) then another DSG recall as you mention.......judging by my experiences with VW I get the impression that they are not in the least bothered......can it get any worse for them?

• Like 1

Hi All, maybe my noise went away after i put my car in for inspections. Kodiaq at 5000kms. below is report from service. 

Heat Shield bent & contacting propeller shaft. Fuel pipe rattle
Confirmed complaint on road test, however noise heard was slightly
different to how customer describes. insulated fuel hoses on RHS
body/chassis rail accordingly, insulated fuel pipe rattle on other
models. road tested vehicle, insulation of fuel pipes however did
not repair condition. Road tested with second tech to assist in
listening for better localisation. Raised the vehicle. Inspected
all drive, steering, suspension & under vehicle carriage.
Found heat shield bend & contacting propeller shaft. Bent shield
out of contact. Road tested. 

Definitely not heat shields on my wife's Tiguan. Dealer says it is gearbox (declined to confirm what component and why) and DEKRA engineer seems to believe transfer box.

I have noticed with the colder weather the noise is not so prevalent until the car reaches operating temperature, by then the noise is as bad as ever!!......maybe this is a gearbox viscosity issue which was primarily the reason for a previous DSG recall?!

7 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

What previous recall had there been on wet clutch dsg's? 

When you refer to "wet clutch" it is not reference to a lubrication free gearbox as it is not the case.  Irrelevant of whether a gearbox is "dry" or "wet" clutch there is still lubrication required in the gearbox. 

Yes.  No viscosity issue though, just a sulphur and internal corrosion issue with the synthetic oil.

A World wide recall. Extended Warranties, new MCU's

eg

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign 

The ' RECALL' Excluding the EU because obviously not in the world, so it gets a cheapo Service Campaign.

Dft DVSA (VOSA) agreed no Safety Critical issue, obviously they have never lost drive on an outside lane.

So that was just a Service Campaign on DQ200 7 Speed DSG for a change of Mineral Oil instead of Synthetic and a Software update.

Should have been 2009-2012 but VW / Skoda were still using synthetic so when Skoda started the Service Campaign '34F7' they still did 2013 vehicles.

No Recall and many still never done in the UK / Europe.

So now from 2013-2015 still an issue with DQ200 DSG of which Skoda have built 50,000 a day, 

so Overheating and oil pressure and failings, so Service Campaign '34H5'.

Long story short nothing to do with 6 or 7 speed wet clutch DSG,  but then lets wait and see what the future brings.

ŠKODA produces 1.5 millionth DQ 200 dual-clutch transmission at Vrchlabí plant - ŠKODA Storyboard.mhtml

ŠKODA Vrchlabí plant_ 500,000th DQ 200 transmission - ŠKODA.mhtml

Edited by AwaoffSki

I'm hearing more issues with 7 speed wet clutch (DQ500) (Audi Q3 and Q5) http://www.q3ownersclub.co.uk/forum/noise-from-front-end_topic1398.htmlI am also aware of one reported DSG failure on a 2017 Tiguan (DQ500) https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/owner-reviews/volkswagen/tiguan-2016/?review=5173 and a number of Audi A1's (DQ200/250) http://www.a1-forum.co.uk/a1forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3626&sid=f92f46888d5e7cd63404bb9d8c7e7f0f

The grating noise issue on DQ500 has been reported by quite a few owners of VAG products but still this irritating problem persists. Unsurprisingly VW have declined why the noise is apparent, what component(s) are responsible, why this noise is evident and most importantly what effect this mechanical grating noise has on the overall longevity of the related components. 

Interestingly I read an online publication which quoted "The mechanical workings of the DSG—the physical gears and syncros—don’t tend to fail very often in my experience. I have seen a number of instances of bearings wearing down, however. This typically results in a metallic noise when driving. I have known DSG transmissions with this symptom to be driven for quite some time with no ill-effects other than quite irritating driving noise, however I most definitely wouldn’t recommend you leave this problem unattended. If the mechanical components of the DSG did fail, it would be pretty catastrophic for the transmission. The fix is a bearing kit, assuming the problem is dealt with promptly and no other damage has been caused."..........it appears VW know there is no immediate concern hence the reasons for them not taking this noise issue seriously. However, and ultimately it will be the customer who picks up a very expensive repair bill!!

• Like 1

Ultimately i doubt it will be Owners that are paying this time, at least not in the first 6 years unless they are stupid.

Those that allow the VW Group to shaft them without lubrication.

Forget Manufacturers Warranties even EU Governments and the UK after 2019 are not letting VW Group take the pith anymore 

if there are Fundamental, Design, Manufacturing, Material and component / software failings and Quality Control.

?

Are you talking about 'the cattle grid noise' with a DQ200 DSG, or is it a Wet Clutch DSG that makes the noise?

What age of Vehicle and what is it?

EDIT.

OK i have read the Tiguan forum posts on the AWD car with a DSG and grinding noise.

So not a FWD as the OP was about.

Edited by AwaoffSki