Timing chain

Ok so ive heard lots about the timing chain needing to be checked and or replaced at 60k / 80k miles... mine is at 59k and still sounds lovely even on a cold start, do I listen for early signs or just replace anyway? and it would be interesting to see how many of you have changed it anyway or is it just a certain batch of cars which had issues ?  mine has full history of services from day one and the previous owner took good care of it too and I intend to do the same.

Thanks all!

Dan

mainly on VRS 1.4 TSI CAVE engine's 2010 - 15 - yeah im just keeping an open mind here lol - or is it the belt? rather than chain? so confused

Edited by danman5k

You will find some members here with CTHE twincharger that have had timing chains replaced under Warranties if you look with a Search

If you check lucifers ultimate guide in the pinned section you will see about oil changes and not fully draining oil and the consequences that can result for chain tensioner CAVE or CTHE

Edited by Headinawayoffski

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:27, danman5k said:

Good shout on that! will remember this for service , how often do you service yours? @Kobayashi 

once a year but I only do 4-5k miles short trips, car was an oil burner until I had the fixes a year ago, now its tuned running well but even low mileage still check spark plugs and always run super unleaded

5 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

once a year but I only do 4-5k miles short trips, car was an oil burner until I had the fixes a year ago, now its tuned running well but even low mileage still check spark plugs and always run super unleaded

yeah since getting it im always putting in super from where ever not going back to normal 95 ron.

• 4 weeks later...

you can always tell when there is issue with the timing chain you will hear ticking or slight metal catching metal on start up. My freind had issues on his 1.2 tsi, once the engine warms up and the tensioners tighten slighty the noise went. Always ask when it goes in for a service to get it checked out even if it doesnt need it

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack a thread. After reading about timing chains I've become a little paranoid about the ticking noises coming from my engine. Should I be worried? Youtube video below. I've got a 63 plate 1.2 TSI Fabia.

(I'm also hearing a hollow rattle when the engine is revved up, which I can hear from inside the car)

Edited by saesneg

I think you will find that a 63 plate 1.2 TSI left the factory with the modified chain and tensioners - so dont worry.

Your recording sounds as all 1.2 TSI's - whilst cold they are very noisy and clattery.  My own engine does have valve gear noise, and does feel/sound harsh when under load.

• Like 1

Speaking to a VRS (2010) owner local to me when I was debating about getting one. He warned me about the VRS's chain issue as he is on his third chain.

I guess its due to the tensioner being oil filled to create the tension, so when you change the oil and start the car up the chain is slack due to no tension and for a couple seconds before the oil reaches it causing it to skip??  

If you look up the page at the Pinned 'Lucifer's Ultimate Guide' thread you will see about the tensioner.

That is the problem of the tensioner and tension when having done an oil change and draining the oil and allowing it all to drain.

Maybe that was the cause of the issue the vRS owner you spoke to had.

What a shame that the Twincharger owner never shared their experience on here of a CAVE engine with Timing Chains failing twice.

Plenty have had one or 2 engines replaced but not really any mention on here of 2 chain tensioner failures over the life of a CAVE engine in a Fabia.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

Edited by Headinawayoffski

• 1 year later...

Sorry Jimmybourne - 

I dont think there is any chance of getting this done under skoda goodwill - (they dont have any!!!)

There is a dealer near me with a VRS in the yard, with parted chain - owner has just left it there, cannot afford a new engine.

There is 'Goodwill' for some with Skoda UK.  Luck of the draw.

Full Main Dealer Service History, previous Warranty Claims, asked main dealers previously about known issues like Timing Chains with a 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132 -136kw Twincharger with CTHE engine and the TPI regarding this.

Know fundamental design, manufacturing, material or workmanship issues. 

So you ask, you press the point, you do research and if necessary you get an Independent Engineers report.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/424866-vrs-timing-chain

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/438447-2012-2014-cthe-mk2-fabia-vrs-timing-chain-issues

Edited by Skoffski

Spoke to Skoda today and the service manager. While she technically didn’t say it’s a “common issue” it was agreed that it actually was. There going to apply for a good will cover. Quietly optimistic. 

Exactly Skoffski, I researched the issue and presented our case, she didn’t need much of a push to say yeah let’s see how we go. If not I’ll happily talk to the ACCC(Australian competitors and consumer commission)  for other options. 

Edited by Jimmybourne
  • Like 1

You should have said you were in Australia.

Whole different ball game.

This is due to the recent case with 1.8 / 2.0 TSI's and Timing Chains.   So you should be getting goodwill from Skoda / VW Australia due to VW knowing all about 

the 1.4 TSI Twincharger Timing chain failings.

Re your DSG.

Has is had the Service Campaign work some required from 2013-2015?

This was a Software Update.

Not the same as the World Wide Recall on the 2009-2012 DQ200 DSG that applied to Australia, but what was called a Service Campaign in New Zealand.

An even lighter Service Campaign in Europe.   In New Zealand DQ200 DSG got new MCU's as part of the Service Campaign.