Reccomendations for a newbie wanting to take the next step!

Ally_bassman

Good morning all,

Since last year I've really caught the bug for 'proper' car cleaning and i'm really enjoying looking after my car and buying & trying new products on it to the point where it's overtaken Mountain biking as my main hobby.

While my car looks good, I was filling up the other day and the forecourt lighting really showed up how 'bad' my clear coat is for swirls etc... I was actually gutted, I didn't realise it was that bad!

My question is, I am thinking of investing in a machine polisher to replace my trusty Aldi special which i thought was doing a good enough job for me...

Looking at a DAS 6 pro, is it worth starting with an orbital? My car is BMW which i've heard have really hard paint, I don't want to waste money investing in kit that will not do the job, but at the same time, I don't have the time to invest in 3 stage correctrions and concourse worthy results.

Any help, thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I know nothing about polishers so I can't comment. What I do know is that unless you totally clean your car, clay it, rub down ipa etc. You can polish it 'til the cows come home, it will still look $h!te.

There are some great offerings and kits out there to get started.

Try and set your budget and shop around the usual places and see what you can get.

Machine, polishes and pads for example....

CleanYourCar, Slim's Detailing, Autobrite are a few places to start looking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, samuir1974 said:

There are some great offerings and kits out there to get started.

Try and set your budget and shop around the usual places and see what you can get.

Machine, polishes and pads for example....

CleanYourCar, Slim's Detailing, Autobrite are a few places to start looking.

.........and even your garage.  :nod:

• Haha 1

Das 6 is an excellent machine 

If you sign up to detailing world forum you can also take advantage of the group buy on there 

If you want the links let me know and I'll link you up 

Just bear in mind every time you touch the car anyhow even by wash  you are incurring swirl marks even if miniscule 

The detailing regime we all use helps minimise the damage but a good cut with a compound can restore and tbh nothing feels better for me anyway than spending an entire day cutting them polishing then waxing a car And looking at the flawless finish as the sun is setting 

Sad I know but it's a hobby to me 

• Like 1

I recently purchased a DAS6 Pro from Shop n Shine; came with some Hexlogic pads and some Scholl Concepts compounds for £209. It's a great piece of kit and after owning a Porter Cable random orbit polisher I can certainly say it's a far better machine. 

I took the plunge and got a DAS6 Pro with Meguiars 105 & 205 compound/polish with some Hex logic pads. It's a well regarded combo and you can also use 3" pads with it too. 

There are probably kits which will get quicker results, but I'd recommend it as a fairly fail-safe starters kit which you can use to get excellent results. 

If you haven't already, search out Junkman's video tutorials on YouTube. Well worth investing some time.