Remap is it worthwhile

Who the hell remaps a car for economy anyway? It's a myth, more performance = more wasted thermal energy = more wasted fuel. Skoda haven't found a way to overcome the universal laws of  thermodynamics any more than any car manufacturer has, let alone an independent techie! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did not remap the car just for fuel economy, I am merely showing how efficient my fuel saving has been since i have has it done, plus i have to much fun driving around in Sports mode. 

Myth or no myth, I have noticed a vast difference in fuel saving and power/acceleration, you guys believe what you want, But my money was well spent. 

12 hours ago, Paddy37 said:

Vtec to vrs. 

You're tuning box, is it a chip or a remap, the guy that did my remap, said you adjusted the power band settings for Sports and Eco mode, specifically power ad torque in sports mode, and fuel saving for Eco.

I knew prove would be asked, so my partner took so photo's while we were out today. Cruising between 30mph and 40mph, in 4th and 5th gear.

But as you said as soon as you hit the pedal hard you start losing the MPG.

20171007_154242.jpg

Sorry the point I was trying to make, which TMWNA has already mentioned, is that what’s being indicated on the car display will differ from what MPG you’re actually getting - try doing a calculated MPG reading by recording your mileage and fuel used...I bet you’ll be surprised at the difference.

Also, for the company to tell you that they’ve remapped different driving modes on your car I think is a bit shady...all the drive modes do essentially is change the throttle response, and don’t interfere with the actual power the engine can produce.

But as long as you’re enjoying your car, that’s the main thing! 

Edited by vtec to vrs!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stever750 said:

Who the hell remaps a car for economy anyway? It's a myth, more performance = more wasted thermal energy = more wasted fuel. Skoda haven't found a way to overcome the universal laws of  thermodynamics any more than any car manufacturer has, let alone an independent techie! 

Hmmm, I did wonder why the poster had gone to the expense of having his engine remapped to then potter about at 30mph in 4th gear.

2 hours ago, vtec to vrs! said:

Sorry the point I was trying to make, which TMWNA has already mentioned, is that what’s being indicated on the car display will differ from what MPG you’re actually getting - try doing a calculated MPG reading by recording your mileage and fuel used...I bet you’ll be surprised at the difference.

Yeah, my Focus ST frequently tells me I'm getting 99.9mpg (usually when in cruise control going down a hill)......do I believe what the display is telling me?  Do I heck.

It's a Mickey Mouse number on a digital readout, the only number that matters is when you do the maths after you've filled the vehicle to the brim <-> reset the trip computer <-> refilled the vehicle to the brim x hundred miles later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Actually if that hill kept going for 99.9 miles you might only use 4.546 litres, or maybe even half that because some show 200 mpg when coasting.

Indeed; and there are some deluded individuals out there who actually believe what their dashboard display tells them!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

Indeed; and there are some deluded individuals out there who actually believe what their dashboard display tells them!!

Mine "only" shows 45-47 mpg average on my vrs diesel, and I don't believe that either. 

Mine shows 60 + mpg through long distances of 50 mph & 60 MPH Average speed cameras, and can do 60 miles and just use 1 imperial gallon of diesel. 

because i put 6 litres in a 10 litre can and brimmed the tank and stopped after 60 miles to see if it would take in over 1 gallon and it could not..

shows 42mpg from a brim up to brim up usually, showing 44 mpg today.

so it did 630 miles for 63 litres this week weekend, so that is 10 miles to a litre.

Shows 76 mph when doing 72 mph checked on a V-Box,

and the Average Speed shows that it was doing 70 mph average over the 23 miles Stirling to Perth.

Blimey, really?  Or just get a map and floor it!

35, 37, 67, 75 mpg. Who really cares. You only live once. 

If you do mega miles, buy a diesel. 

Otherwise get a petrol and have some fun!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dunc69 said:

Blimey, really?  Or just get a map and floor it!

35, 37, 67, 75 mpg. Who really cares. You only live once. 

If you do mega miles, buy a diesel. 

Otherwise get a petrol and have some fun!!

You can remap the oil  burners too and have a simarly fun time whilst laughing all the way to the fuel pumps. 

Back to the op, my superb shows a much higher average eco than my octavia, with a simar power to weight. Interestingly George, my octy speedo is much closer to GPS speed than the superb. 

• Like 1

On 09/10/2017 at 05:42, Headinawayoffski said:

^^^ Tyre size dependent.

Winter ContiSeals on 16" Rims and 60 profile. Not the same total circumference as All Season ContiSeal 17".

Both on factory tyre sizes, so speedo calibrated correctly  for tyre circumference. 

Do you mean my tyres?

No they are not identical total circumferences, and the winters are not the same as the All Seasons.

Tyres seldom are all the same, even same sidewall markings and brand / compound.

Or from new off the tyre rack and 15,000 miles later.

When buying tyres check out that pairs are matched, by tyre stripes and measure them.

Measure 2 different Brand of Tyres or more of the same size tyres side by side and see if they are identical, because that is unlikely.

Even the same size tyres of different brand / model will have different tread on the road or sidewall width due to sidewall strength.

eg 225/45/17 is the width sidewall to sidewall not tread width.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator 

3 different brands / tyre types but the same size on the sidewall, 3 different speeds show when actually doing 70 mph etc

Simple to check if you change sets of tyres on the same vehicles.

Easy to see differences in economy and handling, but then weathers change by season that affects not only engine efficiency in cooler 

air, but then Winter Grade Diesel & Petrol starts arriving in filling stations mid October on through the winter,

starting first in the north.

Not the Continental ContiSeals on my daily drive just now, but tyres used the last few years through the seasons.

compare 225%2c45R17..215%2c40R17..205%2c40R17 020.JPG

Edited by Headinawayoffski

• 3 weeks later...
On 20.09.2017 г. at 18:20, themanwithnoaim said:

They can see from the logs that the car has operating "outside standard opperating parameters" or it went ****loads faster than it should have

Are you sure about this? I was told no backlog is kept. Once you delete any existing errors (if any) service can't detect a box.

Please ellaborate.

On 6.10.2017 г. at 14:11, Headinawayoffski said:

ECU's do get investigated. Even how often Launch Control might have been active etc, 

but then that is not a Warranty Voider, but other information retrieved can be.

hi there, do you have a technical prove, if they store data somewhere regarding operational parameters?

Somewhere on a permanent memory. Thanks!

1 hour ago, TTodorov said:

Are you sure about this? I was told no backlog is kept. Once you delete any existing errors (if any) service can't detect a box.

Please ellaborate.

You were misinformed, the ECU contains & retains maximum/minimum readings of all sensor points therefore, VAG can tell if the engine/turbo/gearbox have operated outside of their parameters.

TBH if you fit a tuning product blow an engine then, remove the tuning products & try to claim for engine under warranty, your pretty low. I mean that is fraudulent behaviour

Failed wheel bearings, shocks ect yeah ok the tuning probably didn't do them in but, VAG would use it to avoid paying but, an engine, come on, be real

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!

And..hyh...I thought the increase is pretty safe with powerbox. 

I will hold myself till the warranty is over then.

It sounded strange not to keep log in the ECU back then when I was told.

It's a modern system, lot's of money industry. Makes more sense to have tools to reject warranties.

Plenty tuning boxes manufactured by companies with good reputations or retailed by them, you are only talking about giving a bit of an improvement to a 150ps TDI which the Manufacturer puts out with the more power anyway with a different MAP (engine management)  its not like you are putting strain on some Made of Chocolate engine or gearbox.

• Thanks 1

That's one big advantage of a box over a generic remap, you can turn it down and reduce the risk. I'm not interested in squeezing the last drop of torque out if my engine, especially if it means a slipping clutch, so the option to dial it back is very appealing. 

Edited by stever750
  • Like 1

Sorry if I ask stupid questions but as far as I understand the box will just trick the engine to boost more the turbo and in parallel inject extra fuel. And this means it still has MAP from the factory to know what to do. Which means that it uses the extra safe tollerance by the engine originally planned,right?

As for the clutch and the DPF no one has answers but as I read, their life is not affected, or not by much?