DSG Failure

Hi,

Just looking for some helpful advice for my poorly  2012 1.8 TSi  DSG Octavia Elegance Estate, which has covered 53,000 miles and suffered a 'box fault as in it has 'lost' gears 2, 4 + 6 and will only shift between 1-3-5-7 if I do this manually.

Managed to get it home the 6 miles after it happened and booked into the friendly local-ish Skoda dealer ( ALS Autos, Ely, Cambs ) on Weds this week. Any thoughts on this fault, likely causes, possible costs, etc.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cannot tell you about your faults but on my 55 reg 2.0 when the box failed the dealer tried many things "he said" and even Skoda could not help .New box came to just over £3000. Swopped it for the present one.

• 3 weeks later...

My Octavia is at the local Skoda dealers who have diagnosed the fault ( ALS Autos, Ely, Cambs), the trouble code is showing that it is stuck in 6th gear, P073B......not my experience as I managed to drive it the 6 miles home by changing up manually, 1-3-5.

The dealer has found metal particles/ debris  in the DSG and informs me that a complete new DSG is required, can it not be rebuilt I wonder and if my car has only covered 54,00 from new, been serviced by the manufacturer's schedule then why has this happened ? Seems to me more likely to be a premature failure or a manufacturing fault ?

Was there a recall for DSG problems ? My Octavia is a 2012 model, 1.8 TSi petrol, DSG Elegance Estate.

There was a 'World Wide Recall'.

But only a Service Campaign in Europe on the DQ200 7 Speed Twin dry clutch DSG.

Started in May 2014 in the UK by Skoda.

The Synthetic Oil is changed  for Mineral and a software update, done free, and there should be a check of the MCU.

In New Zealand new MCU's were fitted.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign 

So in the UK.  '34F7' is the Service Campaign.  if been done there should be a sticker in the spare tyre well.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

Check with Skoda UK Customer Services or a main dealer and see if outstanding, and chase Skoda UK / VW Group for them to fix your box if it was done or not done.

They know they Built the Fundamentally badly designed, manufactured, component choices wrong, fluids, software or Quality Control, 

and failed to do a Recall just getting the DVSA to agree a Service Campaign would be enough.

Hi Awayoffski ,

and thanks for this, just checked and my Octavia is not on the recall list. Thanks again, been in touch with Customer Service but so far no real response or offers of help as the cost to replace the faulty 'box is £4720.60 in total.....on a car worth £6500.00...steep, but I'll have to get it done and keep it for longer than planned...or possibly part-ex it earlier, if I can find even more 'spare' savings !

Do you mean Skoda UK says your vehicle is not part of the Service Campaign.

Do not trust the VIN checker, 

and ask Skoda UK Customer Services the Warranty History on your car if you do not have that already.

Does not mater if your car is 5 years old & out of Manufacturers Warranty and the DSG would not normally be covered, 

and it is not Goodwill you want, 

just push them further on the DSG failure at not many miles and only 5 years.

Other World Regions had a Warranty Extension applied to the DQ200 DSG 2009-2012 because of Fundamental Design & Manufacturing failings, 

and Components and fluids.  Mechatronic Control Units & Fluids.

& the DSG is not £4720.60 when the VW Group supply it free and contribute to the labour because they are not going to a Court in England / Wales, 

Scotland or Northern Ireland to defend against a claim on a DQ200 DSG which they know the failure rate of but not going to say in court / public domain.

Edited by Awayoffski

May be worth quoting consumer rights laws at them? After all, you are covered up to 6 years on new items under the fit for purpose side of things, and a gearbox that fails at that low mileage cannot really be deemed as fit for purpose, especially with a full history etc. It does sound like something internal has failed, hence the metallic particles.

Yes as @octyal mentioned you also have the consumer rights angle for up to 6 years but this would be against the selling dealer as opposed to manufacturer / importer. It is another angle, if all else fails and acceptance of the manufacturing / engineering problem is not accepted. That is a lot of money for a car with moderate mileage and not that old. You're also not alone for problems with the DQ200 box. 

Edited by TheClient

The Pinned Threads on the DQ200 Failures are in the General Car Chat section, General Servicing & Maintenance Section, The Handy section etc.

The issues are well known, well known to Skoda, VW, Audi & SEAT UK and world wide.

So no need for anyone to assume the position and let them take money off them for the pleasure of having a vehicle 'fit for purpose'.

That was what they were supposed to be if VW Group built the DQ200's correctly.

Since 34F7 Service Campaign, some DSG built 2013-2015 now need '34H5' doing because of failures since Mineral Oil has been filled from the factory.

Vorsprung Durch TEchnic,  except Technology advances through R&D and customer road test dummies with VW seem to have gone out the window.

Edited by Awayoffski

Thanks again,

I have contacted Skoda UK who have rejected my claim and I am now taking it to the Motor Ombudsman and I have also raised my complaint through the 'Resolver' website complaints system linked to 'money saving expert.com'.

My car has now had a brand new DQ200 7 speed fitted by the local Skoda agent at great cost as I need the car and it would be worthless with a defective transmission. I also asked specific questions about the new unit to which Skoda have not replied.

Has anyone got any specific links about the change of transmission fluids and also that the once 'sealed for life' ( how long would that be.....) transmission now has to have a fluid change every 40,000 miles as I was told of this but can't find it anywhere.

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, Haraldwnielsen said:

Hi

I have exactly the same problem with my 2010 skoda octavia.

But if I drive 1 meter in revers before I put it in D, it works perfectly.

And revers will also work then. But if I out it in Park and then in D it will not work again. So I think it is a Electric problem.

Is that exactly the same problem, 1,3,5 & 7 gears only, and does the solution work every time? 

How long have you had this problem and on which box / car / age???

That is very good information to know.

Yes. It is exactly the same problem.

If I put it in D with out use R first, I must change gear manual. And it goes from 1-3-5-7 and same down. And then R doNT work. But if I  then put it in Park.  Turn off ignition. And then start the engine again.  Put it in R, drive about 1 meter. (Just so you feel that the car is moving in R). Then you can put it in D and drive as normal.

My car is 2010 skoda octavia diesel

Edited by Haraldwnielsen
Forgot some info

?

Has your car had the World Wide Recall Action or the Service Campaign Carried out,

Synthetic Oil changed to mineral and a Software Update done, service campaign '34F7', if so complain to Skoda, get a free diagnosis done, 

if not carried out then was it because not required, or just not done?

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

In New Zealand there was a proper Service Campaign, 

and because fewer vehicles needed the campaign new Mechatronic Control Units were installed.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign 

The World Wide recall had the Warranty Extended on the DQ200 DSG.

But obviously Europe is not part of The World, so VW Group had a mickey mouse  Service Campaign campaign only.

Edited by Headinawayoffski