VRS TDI DSG - totally underwhelmed with the performance!

I had my 184 vRS remapped properly and it makes such a huge difference.

The garage that did the work use a rolling dyno so before the remap, they told me that it was producing 197bhp from the factory and 431Nm of torque - both figures being higher than quoted by Skoda as stock.

After the remap, it now produce 226bhp and 502 Nm of torque and it's the increase in torque that you really notice in all gears. Put your foot down in 6th at a relatively low speed and it just pulls like a train while the scenery flashes past!!

Even with the remap, I still average low to mid 50's mpg.

1 hour ago, MattChr said:

Paddles are the way forward with overtakes...

See an opportunity coming up, flick it to the left to engage manual. Choose right gear for remaining and available power. Once overtake complete, back into D.

It was the only way I could safely, reliably overtake in the MK2 VRS diesel DSG. Also made driving in twisties and roundabouts far nicer too. Not that necessary for my new petrol VRS, but good fun :-)

1 hour ago, TDIum said:

Agree that the DSG and TDI-170/184 combination is not a perfect match. 

Going for an overtake you just have to whap the DSG into S-mode or better still have it in manual already and knock into a lower gear when you are ready. To get the best out of a DSG especially if you are enjoying driving twisty roads you have to use it in manual. 

My point was, that even in manual (i.e. using the gearlever or paddles), unless you are already at 3000rpm+, it will still occasionally kick down and bounce off the limiter if you boot it. Unless mine has a fault...

As all the torque is mainly between about 1700 and 3200rpm, it would be nice if it just let you get on with using it rather than dropping a cog.

1 hour ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

..., that even in manual (i.e. using the gearlever or paddles), unless you are already at 3000rpm+, it will still occasionally kick down and bounce off the limiter if you boot it. ...

I have not tried that before  :o I will give it a go :)

1 hour ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

My point was, that even in manual (i.e. using the gearlever or paddles), unless you are already at 3000rpm+, it will still occasionally kick down and bounce off the limiter if you boot it. Unless mine has a fault...

As all the torque is mainly between about 1700 and 3200rpm, it would be nice if it just let you get on with using it rather than dropping a cog.

My mk2 Octavia was a diesel but a manual and what you describes just seems so wrong for the engine characteristics there must be something off. Cannot say I remember anyone else describing those characteristics with their DSG.  Just plain stupid and dangerous.

My preference is for manuals and the large amounts of torque available over a relatively wide rev range on both petrol and diesel turbo assisted engines minimises the number of gear changes you actually have to make anyway.

I thought the DSG on my daughter's petrol mk5 GTI Golf (the only one I have seriously driven) was pretty good and far better than a some conventional autos I had experienced.

On 8/4/2017 at 12:32, pist0nbr0ke said:

Might have changed with the MK3, but with my MK2 it wouldn't kick-down in manual mode and would let me sit at the rev limiter (if so inclined).

I think some tuning companies can also reprogram DSG boxes, allowing for different behaviour?

On 03/08/2017 at 20:22, dunc69 said:

@cherry evo what mpg are you getting then?

The petrol vRS will average mid- to high-30s if driven sensibly on the motorway and can get close to 40 if you are careful. 

Maybe a petrol might not be such a bad idea if you want more 'go'!  I love mine (220 Estate) and it really suits DSG too. 

Got 43 MPG on my screen in my petrol Vrs manual

the other week on a 200 Mile trip to halifax, mind you speed restrictions on most of our motorways  help MPG no end.

Only 43? Pffft..... ;)

207 mile trip back from the South yesterday. Probably would have broken 50mpg journey average had I not nailed it out of the M6 toll booth.

2017-08-07_20.49.22.jpg

Edited by ahenners
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/4/2017 at 12:32, pist0nbr0ke said:

... even in manual (i.e. using the gearlever or paddles), unless you are already at 3000rpm+, it will still occasionally kick down and bounce off the limiter if you boot it ...

Yes! I tried this and you are right it does kick-down in manual mode. You feel it through the accelerator pedal. Good to know. 

On 4.08.2017 г. at 01:34, pist0nbr0ke said:

This results in the engine screaming away at 4000+rpm where there is f3ck all power

is this for the diesel engine?

btw DSG with diesel, what are the usual revs that is kept?I mean, what revs are optimal for sport, according to DSG mind?

2 hours ago, TTodorov said:

is this for the diesel engine?

btw DSG with diesel, what are the usual revs that is kept?I mean, what revs are optimal for sport, according to DSG mind?

Yes TDI DSG.

The power tails away from 3700 rpm, 4100 is about as far as the useful power goes. If using the paddles or manual mode, I find acceleration is quicker if you change at about 4250 at the latest - the red line is at 5000rpm IIRC but it's pointless letting it rev out. Sport mode tends to let it go to the limiter before shifting if you are flat out, which doesn't necessarily give you the fastest acceleration.

Same with many diesels, but remapping can help - I had a Mk2 vRS TDI manual that was mapped by Shark and had the DPF gutted - it would rev all the way to 5000 and was still pulling...

Ultimately it's torque rather than bhp that gives the mid range power.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TTodorov said:

btw DSG with diesel, what are the usual revs that is kept?

The VRS TDI DSG is often not at the revs that I want it at.

In D it changes up too early. 

In S it changes up too late.

So my DSG is in M a lot of the time. 

• Like 1

@TDIum , looking at YouTube accelerations , revs are kept between 3000 and 4250 rpms, for optimal acceleration. I was wondering if the DSG keeps it at 3000 or lower so it will be quick to acceleration. Although for daily driving around 1750-2000 should be more adequate for sport mode...

I've just changed to a vrs tdi dsg estate from a Mitsubishi lancer di d (PD140). Yes I agree that the torque delivery in the PD unit felt frenetic but the vrs would leave it for dead in any gear at any speed. The PD, would beat it for economy, in my hands though, although maybe I just need time to adjust to the DSG?

• Like 1

Well I should point out that I drive like an old woman 96% of the time. My comments about the TDI/DSG are a result of how I get on with it. Perhaps it really is optimized for acceleration with the DSG in S mode. 

But I have noticed the DSG is a bit more responsive in D mode when the driving mode is set to Sport. Its quicker to select a lower gear when you put your foot down after a steady cruise.

On 03/08/2017 at 23:36, tomsimes said:

Just seen this and realised you're relatively local - I'm Newport, but head further West on occasions. Happy to take you for a spin in mine with DTUK box fitted if you want to see the difference? Also more than happy to turn my box off and do a short comparison, as mine is much, much faster than a 140 Scirocco - we had one of them a few years ago too.

Let me know if you want to take me up on the offer.

On 03/08/2017 at 23:59, cherry evo said:

Thats great, thanks. Is yours manual or DSG? I think its the 'box that numbs it... even though its great day to day doing fairly big miles, it spoils the performance.

Mine is manual, drop me a line if you head further east or I'll do the same if I head west so you can try it out.