Adblue

I have not topped up a Kodiaq, so can not help on that.

AS to Ad-Blue,  what you find for sale online, in garages, dealerships, motor factors, halfords etc will be the right stuff.

BP Stations sell these big containers at £12.

How ever you fill up take great care not to spill and if you do to clean up, it is messy messy stuff when it crystallizes.

Use the correct adapter / filler and be careful with pumps designed for HGV's.

If buying at a HGV pump maybe fill the container rather than straight into the vehicle.

Maybe watch about AdBlue on youtube, read your owners manual and be familiar with what you are doing, 

and be really really careful with spillages.

DSCN2794.JPG

Edited by Awayoffski

Haven't had to top up yet. The, I think 8L, tank should last 6-9000 miles. I looked at a pump in a local Maxol and at a hgv stop. Long nozzle and instructions to stop at first cutoff will mean no spills. It was about 90p a litre so £7 will do me for at least 6 months. 

My 2016 2.0TDI SCR DSG 150ps Alhambra has a 17 litre AdBlue tank and showed when new that there was a 7,000 mile range.

I filled up at 8,000 miles the first time after 1,500 miles of warnings and put in 14 litres.

It then showed a 7,000 range again and now a warning is up again after 6,000 miles.

One of many threads from the Yeti Section.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/376945-actual-adblue-usage 

DSCN1207.JPG

adblue.pdf

Edited by Awayoffski

Funnily enough I just ordered a 10L bottle from my local motoring emporium yesterday. They called me shortly after I placed the order, but when I showed up the available stock had strangely evaporated. Not best pleased, so I am now waiting for the call to say they do actually have some in stock.

And this morning I noticed that my local Tesco filling station is selling a 10L container for less (different brand).

On day 1 my car read Adblue range 5,500 miles.  It's now reading 3,500 miles after 3,000 miles.  For a few pence per mile I'm not bothered.

Synthetic pig pee! What's this all about???????????????

The urea and the nasty nitrogen oxides react, eventually giving out carbon-dioxide (not too bad, we all do that), nitrogen (which is four fifths of air anyway) and water.  See http://adblueexpert.org/what-is-adblue/chemistry.  It will only get some of the nasty NOx, but it's a helpful amount.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Today I lost my AdBlue virginity.

As above, my car started out on day 1 with a range of 5,500 miles.

I’ve had a few pop-up warnings, but finally I succumbed to my first Top Up. Had 10L container waiting at home.

The tank almost took the full 10L container. Maybe 1L left so I’ll squeeze that in later.

Next time I’ll run it down to 1,000 miles range and hopefully get the whole can in.

And dash says I’m good for 5,500 again with a full tank. And I mean full to the filler cap.

Although it was a very slow pouring container, I was pleased that the spout was leak free and no pig-pee was spilled on me or the car.

I flushed out the filler cap area when I was finished.

E5302E02-7068-4465-A120-5A1C9BF6AE09.jpeg

FED6391D-EA61-4FA6-B1AB-F6963A9474FB.jpeg

42CF6D88-D4F0-4D0D-B826-87C29456BBAB.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I’ve just been to my local Esso garage, where I filled up last time. They don’t let cars fill up from the pump, only HGV. Lady said it’s company policy. :dull: So now I need to buy a container or find a garage that’ll let me fill up. I’ve done a brief search and there’s not many around here. :angry:

Maybe stupid but you will see other Filling Station / Retailers & AD-Blue location sites say.

Light Commercial, Goods Vehicles, HGV vehicles only, but passenger car pumps will be getting installed.

(They have 10 litre containers available and the assistant can assist etc...)

I tell the Filling Station Attendant if bollshy i am a Commercial Carrier and i require a VAT receipt thank you, and if there is an issue buying my diesel and my Ad-Blue  from the pump please call the Area Manager or their boss if it is a franchised  or Independent station.

As it is the last time the nice lady said we just advise owners because there have been accidents with people that have to fill inside the boot.

She knew that my car needed doing that and that more than 10 litres might be required, so i would be left taking away what was left of the 2nd 10 litres that they sell.

Retailers _ Yara UK.mhtml

Edited by AwaoffSki

Just how many Euro 6 Diesels do you think are already on the roads with SCR, and how many more are going to be first registered & on the roads with Business users and private

users?

There are many years of Diesels going to be used as there are not EV's suitable for everyone driving, or Petrol / Petrol Hybrids.

In the scheme of thing a few grand for a Ad-Blue Pump and servicing and supplying is hardly a major investment to the Big Fuel Retailers, 

maybe more so to Franchised Filling Stations.

As it is customers that do not get good 'Customer Services' at one station and facilities might take their custom buying diesel where they will, 

or maybe just keep using Super Market Diesel and going to Shell, BP. ESSO etc to get Ad-Blue.

Asda, Tesco / Esso / Greenergy, Morrison, Sainsbury Filling Stations can surely afford to install forecourt Equipment.

Ad-Blue seem to maybe a Rip Off price currently.

The Trading Standards or whoever might need to check out that and if there is competition and no cartel or price fixing....

Edited by AwaoffSki

Not enough to justify the outlay it would seem or they would already be doing it.  Figures show a decline in car sales generally with more people buying petrol and electric than before. Yes Diesels will be around for a few years but I suspect in declining numbers as new technology comes in.

Personally I would like to fill the Kodiaq at a pump but I have no problem filling it from a container. After all it is not as though I have to fill up with ad-blue every time I go for diesel. Again personally I am all for Boycotting stations that do not give good service.

Agree about the rip-off prices but it does pay to shop around. Local Sainsbury's were selling off a batch recently at reduced price.

It is cheap enough at station pumps and when you are buying and putting into the vehicle and that is inside the car easy enough to fill containers.

Feet for dancing head for thinking.

There really are plenty places providing to the commercial vehicles with pumps. You just need to check out where and who.

Main Dealers prices are ridiculous.  VW Group particularly taking the pith considering their behaviour with corrupt practices with Euro 5 emissions ]

and some changing to a new SCR diesel sooner than they might have. 

Different story though, 

but then so is any conspiracy among the manufacturers that had a cartel fixing parts / emission systems, tank sizes etc.

That investigations still to be finalised yet. 

My local station has a diesel pump for HGVs only, but that's because of the rate of delivery (far too fast for small filler tubes).

Is the restriction on who may use the Adblue pump perhaps for the same reason?

On 08/12/2017 at 20:46, DaveMiller said:

My local station has a diesel pump for HGVs only, but that's because of the rate of delivery (far too fast for small filler tubes).

Is the restriction on who may use the Adblue pump perhaps for the same reason?

No. The filler cap fits lovely. It’s as though it’s been made for it. Oh wait a minute, it was. :)

She said it the franchise owner’s decision. I went across the road to the Shell garage, who don’t have it on pump, and was told that the Shell garage at nearby Markham Moor on the A1, won’t allow cars to use the adblue pump either. 

My plan is to find out the franchise and give them a call and maybe even Esso as well. What’s the worse that can happen?:biggrin:

• 3 months later...

I have been given this is this the right stuff for my kodiaq and how long will it last just I don't need to fill up for another 4000 miles and it's just sat outside in my back yard will it be ok there thanks 

IMG_20180224_131025.jpg

On 12/10/2017 at 12:34, Bignij said:

No. The filler cap fits lovely. It’s as though it’s been made for it. Oh wait a minute, it was. :)

She said it the franchise owner’s decision. I went across the road to the Shell garage, who don’t have it on pump, and was told that the Shell garage at nearby Markham Moor on the A1, won’t allow cars to use the adblue pump either. 

My plan is to find out the franchise and give them a call and maybe even Esso as well. What’s the worse that can happen?:biggrin:

I've since filled up twice at the pump at the same garage without incident. :cool:

Very difficult to find out who actually runs / owns the garage. I thought they had little plaques above the door like they do at pubs. :blink: