vRS becomes a "keeper"

Mickmartin,

Furbytom has a quick estate, estates are quick others know that, CTHE's can be quicker than CAVE.

As to weight, the 9 3/4" longer Estate is heavier than a hatch if you take the ballast weights off the rear crash bars.

The Skoda Fabia Hatch is lighter than a 3 door Polo Gti or Seat Ibiza and a Fabia vRS Estate not 5kg heavier as the official Kerb Weight.

Then on standard suspension with ballasts removed the hatch will not go light at the front under acceleration.  

The longer roof will not make an Estate quicker to 100mph. 

Put a hatch with no weights and lowered suspension and an estate and there is nothing much in it because the roof is more aero on an estate.

The stronger rear springs when fitted are nice IMO.

Edited by Awayoffski

Fit the same tyres to a standard estate and hatch, switch off the TC (so that power is not cut if there is wheel spin)

& have the weights off the hatch and the stronger rear springs on the Estate are the only advantage the heavier car has.

If you lower both Estate and hatch there really is nothing in it if you are talking 0-100 mph.

2 hours ago, Mickmartin said:

Glad to see someone else  enjoying the estate and which I recently found out is actually quicker than the hatchback version due to weight and aero, How do you find the H&R springs? I fear lowering mine In anyway as the ride is so harsh standard.

Ride is great on the H+R Mick, better than standard imho. Win-win situation! 

56 minutes ago, Furbytom said:

Ride is great on the H+R Mick, better than standard imho. Win-win situation! 

Thanks mate, Cant wait to get it off the stilts it sits on.

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

Fit the same tyres to a standard estate and hatch, switch off the TC (so that power is not cut if there is wheel spin)

& have the weights off the hatch and the stronger rear springs on the Estate are the only advantage the heavier car has.

If you lower both Estate and hatch there really is nothing in it if you are talking 0-100 mph.

Lol all this technical stuff!

I just wanted you to say the estates quicker as standard!

• Like 1

@Furbytom You mentioned an HID conversion, where would I pick up a kit for this, was it local for you or a website that those of us stuck in the loneliest corner of the planet can order it from? My car needs this, the lights are laughably bad sometimes... 

2 hours ago, wheels94 said:

@Furbytom You mentioned an HID conversion, where would I pick up a kit for this, was it local for you or a website that those of us stuck in the loneliest corner of the planet can order it from? My car needs this, the lights are laughably bad sometimes... 

Ordered this one online mate:

https://www.hids4u.co.uk/H7-HIDS4U-Stealth-35W-Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kit.html

Its absolutely epic, so chuffed with it!

Sorry to but in, just been reading this thread. I've just got shut of my fabia II estate for a yeti. I converted the fab headlights to HID's, though they were the projector lens, they were awesome.

Please don't confuse me with the 'headlight-police', it's just that when I clicked on Furbytom's link for HID's, I was very surprised to see two different bulbs available, one for reflectors & one for projector.

Reason I butted in is, i'd really like to convert my yeti to HID's but they are reflector type. Now comes the 'headlight-police' bit, I always thought HID's in reflectors was a BIG no no. Perhaps someone could tell me different.

Mally.

On 09/08/2017 at 20:15, Furbytom said:

So this week we opted to keep our Mk 2 Fabia vRS Estate for the foreseeable future. 

Had the car since Jan 2014 on a 0% PCP deal and now have paid off the balloon payment in full so own it outright. 

We have been doing PCP deals since 2006 and this is the only car in that time we've ever elected to keep at the end of the term. Says a lot about how good these cars are! 

Had our first mk2 vRS in 2011 and still love them. 

Had a look about but nobody else offers a small practical fast petrol estate with an auto 'box. No mk3 Fab vRS to turn to either so was a no-brainer to keep hold of it. Car has been faultless and we've enjoyed modding it along the way. Springs, RARB, wheels and wider/stickier tyres have vastly improved the ride/handling and looks and a HID conversion sorted the poor lights. 

The Furby has also been a blast on track (where it is surprisingly capable!) and also loved taking it to Santa Pod on our mass Fabia meet. Good times/memories!

http://Combe vRS 1.jpg

Tom

Off topic but how did it fair on a track day?

im doing a sprint in October so I'm trying to find out if it's a case

ld leaving it in D or use S or even just use paddles. 

Personal preference or what suits the circuit? (Cadwell Park btw)

15 hours ago, S27VEJ said:

Off topic but how did it fair on a track day?

im doing a sprint in October so I'm trying to find out if it's a case

ld leaving it in D or use S or even just use paddles. 

Personal preference or what suits the circuit? (Cadwell Park btw)

It performed rather well, surprised quite a few "faster cars". The RARB and springs made a vast improvement. Traction control off a must too. 

Personally id only ever have it in full manual mode for on track. Much more fun and better to be in control. An unwanted downshift mid-corner wouldn't be ideal etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mickmartin said:

I'm going to order myself some H&R springs at the weekend, Straight swap with no issues or rubbing? Was debating coil overs but I seriously thing I could get off with just springs as the ride is so harsh already and cant be arsed having to buy shorter drop links.

if I got H & R springs instead of coilovers this would free up cash for rear anti roll bar + updating bushes with powerflex ones. Would this be better cornering or coilovers / droplinks??

My H&R seem fine. Obviously good coilovers would be better but does a job for now. 

Next puechase is a RARB For sure and I've had Powefelx bushes done so it's nearly there

Totally agree about having it in manual mode too. That's what I was thinking might happen mid corner!

On 16/08/2017 at 16:29, Mickmartin said:

I'm going to order myself some H&R springs at the weekend, Straight swap with no issues or rubbing? Was debating coil overs but I seriously thing I could get off with just springs as the ride is so harsh already and cant be arsed having to buy shorter drop links.

Straight swap Mick! No issues with rubbing etc. Definitely not overly low. 

For value these springs are excellent. 

I'd rather have this setup than cheap coilovers. I'm sure getting proper coilovers (i.e spending £700+) would yield better handling, but that's quite a step up in cost. :)

5 hours ago, sharkrider said:

let me know if you ever decide to sell it Tom, I could be tempted back at some point years down the line ;) at least I know someone who has a good one hanging around ;)

Haha no worries Dave, you have first refusal on it :biggrin: